Black People : Have You Heard of the Boule?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by A007, Apr 8, 2003.

1. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    Have You Heard?

Have you heard of Sigma Pi Phi better known as the Boule? The Boule is not a fraternal order of college men such as Phi Beta Sigma(sigma) or Omega Psi Phi(que). It is an exclusive fraternity made up of top African-American educators, politicians, business men, and civic leaders. It was founded in 1904 by six Philadelphia doctors and had as its mission a theory coined by W.E.B. Dubois. “The Negro race, like all races is going to be saved by its exceptional men.” There are exceptional men such as W.E.B. Dubois, Martin Luther King Jr., David Dinkins that have been members called “archons”(ancient Greek for men of importance and influence).

There are 110 chapters comprised of 4,600 men. To become a member one must be invited. There is no application process-formal or informal-for a successful black man to market himself to become an “archon.” The brotherhood must feel that one has achieved a level of excellence that separates him from the mediocrity of average African-Americans before they consider extending an invitation. In their rigid list of exclusionary rules pro athletes, comedic actors, and rappers are not considered. Boule is ancient Greek for ‘An assembly of aristocratic leaders’ and they definitely behave like aristocrats with declarations such as the one by Boule grand historian William Harris, PhD former president of Alabama State University, “We’re an assembly of noble men who lead society.”

Well this author respectfully submits that not only is the Boule failing to lead our African-American brothers and sisters to prosperity, but they (and organizations like them) are contributing to, if not perpetuating, our inferiority as a race. Because they have separated themselves by exclaiming that they are the cream of the crop, they are invisible to 85 percent of Black adults and 99 percent of Black youth. This invisibility, in affect, makes them non-existent. And, if they do not exist, who are us average people left to point our fingers at for encouragement in our quest for financial well being? The answer lies in athletes, entertainers, and a minute amount of black leaders that we get to see on television or read about in the press. We are relegated to these people as role models because they are visible. They are successful and we can see it. However, there is only a one to three percent chance that any of us will become successful in those professions. There is a 75 to 80 percent chance to become successful in the professions that the members of the Boule have chosen largely because education, ambition, and drive are the main prerequisites. The archons are successful and most of us have no idea that they exist. Is that leadership?

It is an undeniable fact that these men should be commended for their achievements. However, in their haste to pat themselves on the back, they have made it very difficult for others to benefit from their knowledge, expertise, ambition, and drive.

There is no question that in this day and age that we as a race need the Boule. In recent efforts to apply themselves to a philanthropic directive the Boule has established scholarship funds and foundations to raise money for the education of our black youth.

However, we need their visibility, support, and leadership to provide hope much more than we need their money. If the black youth could have Earl Graves, Vernon Jordan, and Ken Chenault rolling in the neighborhoods telling how they got where they are, maybe the kids would aspire to be Andrew Young rather than Michael Jordan, Jay-Z or someone closer to home like the neighborhood Nino Brown. Leader as defined by Websters Dictionary is “one that goes along to guide and show the way.” We need them to show the way. This is not possible with their superiority complexes. This Boule leadership would provide passion; strength, brotherhood, and hope to a race of people that need to know that there are 4600 black men in America that have reached great success without the aid of sports or entertainment. The irony is that they exclude anyone who is not up to their 'standards', but inclusion is the cornerstone of a movement and movements are the makers of leaders. It is completely understandable to want to classify oneself as elite but, in this case, it comes at the price of hope for a entire race. It may be that the members of this elite group believe that their accomplishments and/or their wealth would be diminshed if too many other black people attained the same. This could not be further from the truth. By helping others of us get to the same place it would increase the pool of knowledge and wealth thereby allowing us to contribute to black businesses, healthcare, while lowering crime. This benefits all involved.

It is the prayer of this author that the small group of archons that want to truly be leaders in our economic and educational struggles will be successful in persuading the others to be at least visible in our communities. This activity in the communities will spawn inspiration for those of us without athletic or entertaining talents. The fact that we can see success as not only possible, but probable, will propel the Boule to true status as the exceptional black men that are saving our race. These actions will then truly make the blue blooded brothers an assembly of noble men who lead society. Then there will not be a need for anyone to ask people in the black community or any other community “Have you heard of the Boule?”

“Knowledge is not power. The purposeful application of knowledge while in action is power.” – A.L Bonds

2. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    Whoops...lol...I meant to put this on Kem open forum...should I remove it from here and put it there??

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Dre', I don't know if it belongs here or some place else, but it is very interesting and informative. When I have more time, I will offer some personal thoughts about Boule and other organizations like this.

4. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
  5. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    Many AA's that we all know claim to be members. Earl Graves(ebony magazine) Andrew Young, Bob Johnson (former owner BET) Harold Washingtion (former mayor Chicago) ...and others that I can't think of right now say they are members. So I don't think that it is an urban legend. Since they have a national spokes person and grand historian in William Harris, I am inclined to think it is real, but it is one of the biggest crimes against our people that we have to wonder if it is an urban legend. They should be HIGHLY visable and helpful in our communities. Don't you think?

6. euphrates

euphrates Member MEMBER

community activist
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are books on this organization and others like it. I totally agree with A007. Read 'Our Kind of People', there is mention of this organization. They really exist Chenault, Graves and others of
    stature in business, medicine etc belong. Yes, this is exactly who we need to motivate (although initial motivation should start in the home). I work with high school students in city schools and motivation from others (not entertainers,sports figures) is sorely needed. Either we are going to get involved and heal our community or we are not. It will take all of us including the Boule,
    Links, sororities, fraternities, small and big business, parents, teachers, anybody that's positive about the community we need to rebuild, for certainly we have lost the one we use to have. Very
    well articulated and to the point A007. Peace and Love :)

7. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for your reply.

Thanks for the compliment euphrates.

Now we need the Boule and other organizations to take it to heart.

8. laneka

laneka New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    boule

the boule is very real, I fisrt of them in Savoy Magazine. It directed me to a sight that gave further detail, I was actually searching for that site when I came upon this one. the boule is some secret society that was started by white people along with the other the other ones back in the day

9. SpiritualONE

SpiritualONE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +48
    Re: boule

:bazooka: leadership at Boule'

Laneka,

My research reveals that Boule' is NOTHING but Europeanized Afrikans still struggling to be white. They are a SECRET society and the leadership element protects white supremacy. These lapdogs try to put up a good front but they are deceivers of our people. There are a few exceptions within this elitist cult but not many. Here is link which can lead to more information about them:

http://www.stevecokely.com/SteveCokelyLet.htm

10. SpiritualONE

SpiritualONE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +48

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black boule

2. join the boule

3. earl graves black boule

4. black fraternity boule