Black People : Have You Ever...

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Run across an old photo of yourself and tried to trace what happened to the old shirt or dress you used to like? Or do you still have an item of clothing that you've had ten fifteen twenty years ago?

In our early twenties our bones stop growing so there is really no need to not keep our clothes for years if we take care of them. But the fashion industry is designed to convince otherwise intwlligent adults that the perfectly serviceable clothes they wore last year cold not possibly be worn this year because they are out of style.

Who decides what you can and cannot wear? I stopped wearing mini skirts when I was waiting for Newbury's to open one morning in downtown Los Angeles when this man took my arm cause he thought I was "working." It's not that I don't have the right to wear mini skirts but they draw the attention of the type of men to whom I'd rather be invisible.

Still it is I, not the fashion industry, who decides how I dress.

Run across an old photo of yourself and tried to trace what happened to the old shirt or dress you used to like? Or do you still have an item of clothing that you've had ten fifteen twenty years ago?

In our early twenties our bones stop growing so there is really no need to not keep our clothes for years if we take care of them. But the fashion industry is designed to convince otherwise intwlligent adults that the perfectly serviceable clothes they wore last year cold not possibly be worn this year because they are out of style.

Who decides what you can and cannot wear? I stopped wearing mini skirts when I was waiting for Newbury's to open one morning in downtown Los Angeles when this man took my arm cause he thought I was "working." It's not that I don't have the right to wear mini skirts but they draw the attention of the type of men to whom I'd rather be invisible.

i find that as i get older i like to hold on to some things,i guess for nastalsia,i have a sweater that i got when i started high school[and i've been outta high school for awhile,haha]now my dear wife who cares little for nastalsia and even less for my sweater would just as soon toss it[that's why i keep it hidden way down in my trunk]and the funny thing is...IT STILL FITS.

When I look at old pictures of myself, I mostly reminisce on where I was and what was going on in my life at that time, happy or sad, more than what I was wearing. But, there were a few outfits I was fond of.

But, fashion doesn't dictate my wardrobe. I like what I like and what looks good on me. I've never been a "Label slave." Actually, many of the so-called "designer" fashions over the years have been downright FUGLY to me, clothes, shoes and purses!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back