Black People : Have YOU ever publicly admitted to being WRONG?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Orisons, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    I've NEVER EVER had to bail out/RUN from any thread on ANY internet message board, or been unable to address assertions/answer questions, even if I have ended up putting my hands up/conceding that I've made a HUGE mistake, my position, perspective, stance or opinion was totally wrong.
    A superb example was when I had to thank a SISTER on Blackvoices [which was the first and easily the best message board I’ve EVER posted to, which is why AOHELL bought it, and after consistently degrading its functionality within 6 years killed it] for opening my eyes/giving me a severe public SLAP [in a What are your 5 favorite films thread] as to why the COLOUR PURPLE shouldn't be my favourite film [it no longer is] whereas aren't most posters in general, on here specifically, very very fragile and egotistical at the same time [go into total evasion/denial/headlong flight from REALITY mode as opposed to even considering admitting that they are or got it wrong]?
    I really liked The Colour Purple due to the so spectacularly brilliant acting of the predominantly African American cast. How Danny Glover and Whoopi Goldberg didn’t get Oscars for their truly superlative acting in this film I do KNOW and so do YOU, don’t YOU?
    Luckily, I got the chance to personally congratulate Danny Glover when I met him at the “Rage in Harlem” premiere here in London as he was so believably HATEFUL/DYSFUNCTIONAL in The Colour Purple that I wanted to hit him, can an actor engage you more than that?
    However this SISTER on Blackvoices [Favourite Film thread] very calmly woke me up from my conscious/waking/coma/challenged my rational processing power with regard to factual information by asking me if I was aware of the fact that Alice Walker [author of The Colour Purple] was a lesbian? I wasn't.
    She then asked if I hadn't noticed and noted that all the African American male characters in The Colour Purple were fundamentally flawed and even comparatively physically weak whereas all of the female characters were vibrantly assertive and strong/as underlined by Operah Winfrey's character literally having a knock out right hand punch? I hadn't.
    For the coup de grace she asked if I had seen the Tuskegee Airmen [a film with Laurence Fishbourne and Cuba Gooding Junior starring]? I had.
    My tag came back to haunt me in that how could I as an allegedly conscious man of African ethnicity place the Color Purple’s fictional depiction of consistently weak, flawed consistently useless/dysfunctional Coloured, Negro, Black as opposed to intellectually and spiritually conscious African American men as genuinely my favourite film whereas the TRUE story of the Red Tails/Tuskegee Airmen/African American squadron whose spectacular exploits in White on White War II read like fiction [easily the best fighter pilot squadron in that war] was only in my top five/behind Catch 22?
    What choice did I have other than to publicly thank this lady for her so succinct/accurate WAKE UP call/correcting me, in that isn’t my tag a NIGHTMARE that we’re all living [I wish I was exempt, but KNOW, I’m constantly reminded by that sort of experience that I’m not]?
    However, wasn’t the SLAP I received from this Sister [which I’m still EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for] over The Colour Purple a far more fundamental WAKE UP/BE MORE ALERT with regard to the manner in which the mass media in general, Hollywood specifically used this film to undermine the prestige/stature of ALL African Americans in general, the men specifically as the price of providing them with the vehicle/jobs where they so superbly displayed their acting skills?
    My point to YOU all is THEY caught me, hook, line and sinker, I got it completely wrong as highlighted by me [going into BRAIN DEAD AUTOMATON mode] even publicly projecting and promoting The Colour Purple as my favourite film; but once this lady CORRECTED me, my preference was to wake up and publicly THANK HER as opposed to digging in/continuing to be a drugged, entranced by the Hollywood glitz CLOWN, whereas have YOU [or any of the posters on the Destee or any other message board] ever publicly admitted to being wrong about ANYTHING?
    Isn’t this point particularly relevant at the end of the week when Margaret Thatcher was so publicly laid to rest [as the UK’s longest serving Prime Minister of the 20th century], in that isn’t it bizarre/somewhat confusing that her sound bite “The Lady’s not for turning” is still perceived by so many as an example of her strength of character whereas how happy would anyone be with that response from a woman/anyone driving a car that you’re in towards a cliff edge [a far too accurate metaphor for what has happened to the UK since 1979], cant a lemming rush end horribly for ALL of the lemmings?
    Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hey Brother Orisons ... Peace and Blessings ... :wave:

Yes, i publicly admit ... i was wrong once ... one time ... when i thot i was wrong ... but i was wrong ... :wink:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    yes i been wrong before…..don't have a problem admitting it

i was wrong about serena williams.
    i felt she was too old and should retire but now she has healed up and is winning again.

4. Orisons

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +599
    Love you too Sister.

However aren’t mistakes an integral part of spiritual and intellectual growth and development, which is why running and hiding as opposed to acknowledging and evaluating the mistake and why it occurred is such an obstacle to growth in every area of human activity?

5. Orisons

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +599
    Maybe we’re going to have to agree to disagree about this point James.

Isn’t your only problem with Serena similar to mine/my ongoing despair about her not conspiring with Venus [I’d even ignore the weaves they wear but so definitely don’t NEED] to ambush me and for the two of them to subsequently SEX me to death [can you think of a better way of leaving this plane of existence, I truly cant]?

I KNOW this thought is very WRONG, but I truly don’t care! ROFL

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    i do not find them attractive….

7. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Peace Orisons,

If I'm wrong I admit it.

That said..

Regarding the Alice Walker thing though.. did you know that Alice fell out with Spielberg over the portrayal of Black men in his movie. That she is a lesbian does not negate her love for her people.. Don't get what hollywood did with her Novel mixed up with what she created. Read the book a few times and you'll see a different story..

Of course we all know why this film was giving such a large stage.. and met with such critical acclaim.. it's the same reason why "Precious" received similar acclaim.. and for the record.. "Precious" was distorted on film just like the color purple. The book is a very different set of stories.. with a very different effect.. (but it was inspired by Alice Walker's novel and written in the same form)..

..context is everything..

8. Orisons

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +599
    Which makes me glad [at least you’re not a potential rival, unlike most of my male friends and associates], whereas do you really think that fact is really going to stop me being trampled in the rush of the millions of other male [and maybe even the female] FFF/Fit Female Flesh junkies worldwide for whom their contrasting body types create the perfect woman?

Most of us would love to be PUNISHED by either of them [with their so charming intelligence and grace the icing on the cake that I’d still eat if it wasn’t there], whereas both at the same time would probably put me in the ground, but at least I’d go with a huge smile on my face? ROFL

9. Orisons

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +599
    OK, but doesn’t everyone say that or are YOU going to provide an example that was as publicly embarrassing as mine in this thread?
    My issue isn’t with Alice Walker so much as the way Spielberg/Hollywood so subtly slanted this film into a very divisive attack on African Americans in general, African American males specifically that I didn’t pick up on or spot at all, mainly because of the so very very high standard of the actor’s performances; and I’m not the only one who was caught out/entranced, was I?

Didn’t THEY even turn it into a musical for the stage [which as a concept I find very hard to envisage]?

I KNOW we’re all fallible, but especially as I had seen the Tuskegee Airmen can you relate to why I’m genuinely annoyed with myself for so enthusiastically gulping down the mass media’s KOOL ADE as to be publicly projecting and promoting the Colour Purple as my favourite film EVER?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed;

10. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043

Sorry.. I don't have any situations where I put my foot in my mouth like that online.. And.. for what it's worth.. your example isn't really embarrassing at all.. you simply were given more information than you had had. There were still plenty of beautiful scenes in the Color Purple.. there were spaces where Quincy Jones's music and Alice Walkers story combined beautifully.. and overall.. it really is a beautiful film.. I would like to see all of the scenes they shot though.. not just the result of the editing. And.. for what it's worth..the Play is an adaption of the book.. not the film. You should really read the book when you get a chance.

that said.. I don't really do "favorites".. I don't get why one must choose something over something else.. I see things in chunks.. and the commercial containers that are wrapped around films are not the lines of demarcation that my eyes and ears and mind necessarily respect.