Black People : Have You Ever Picked Cotton ?

Have You Ever Picked Cotton?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters
elders that i've been around with have told me stories about them picking cotton. the stories they tell puts me right there on the scene. Getting up at the break of dawn riding the horse buggy with lunch as leftovers and picking cotton sun up and sun down with their fingers blistered from those thrones. Those stories be putting tears in my eyes. But i do acknowledge that they had to eat and live to survive.

elders that i've been around with have told me stories about them picking cotton. the stories they tell puts me right there on the scene. Getting up at the break of dawn riding the horse buggy with lunch as leftovers and picking cotton sun up and sun down with their fingers blistered from those thrones. Those stories be putting tears in my eyes. But i do acknowledge that they had to eat and live to survive.
Yes and my mother said they made 40 cents per hundred picked. I remember quite well.
I always cried to go to be with my brothers...and eat lunch. My brothers would get in trouble for not picking their hundred each day. This disturbed me, so I would pretend I was sleep under the wagon and when they came in to weigh their bags, I would slip and pour water in the bags to make them weigh heavier. They started getting their hundred....its funny, that old white man never knew it was me. But my brothers took care of me. I got everything I asked for
lmao.

:em18:

Yes, Yes....I've heard Elders call it "From SUN to NONE."

Some of our ancestors were able to have a BIG breakfast before leaving for the fields; but for many, often, their "breakfast" was only some cornbread and buttermilk or biscuits and fried fat-back.

.... "lunch," for many, was only a baked or roasted sweet potato and MAYBE some bologna or other type of "meat."

And COUNTLESS numbers of our ancestors who couldn't read or "do the math" got CHEATED by "Mr. Charlie" for their day's work or at the end of harvest-time in share-cropping. ---And even when they DID know he was cheating them, they still couldn't say nothing but just take what he gave them.

This is why I am so sickened and disgusted to hear/read some of our OWN People think themselves so "high and mighty," so much "Blacker" than the rest of us so-called "knee-grows," so far REMOVED and DETACHED from these same ancestors who suffered indignities and hard-ships we can't even IMAGINE! --- Our men were EMASCULATED. Our women were RAPED. And SOLELY on the word of ANY white person, our men, women and children could be ACCUSED of any crime and immediately KILLED at any moment.

Yes and my mother said they made 40 cents per hundred picked. I remember quite well.

I always cried to go to be with my brothers...and eat lunch. My brothers would get in trouble for not picking their hundred each day. This disturbed me, so I would pretend I was sleep under the wagon and when they came in to weigh their bags, I would slip and pour water in the bags to make them weigh heavier. They started getting their hundred....its funny, that old white man never knew it was me. But my brothers took care of me. I got everything I asked for
lmao.

:toast:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on $$RICH$$'s profile.
$$RUCH. SO COOL.VBRO. WHAT MY bornday. Again. Destee. June. U didn't call. Phone me. I'm loosingbit. In my dopamine euphoria. None stop. I send my new pic. Noylt. Me. That guy. Wears 1x. I wear.b3x. Ok love Destee Fam. Errors I don't care ok. Love
Destee wrote on MANASIAC's profile.
I saw you ... :yaay: ... Welcome Home! ... :flowers:
Back