Black People : Have You Ever Participated in a 'Real' Debate - High School or College Arena?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Have you ever participated in a 'real' debate, like in the high school or college arena?

Care to share the particulars? How did you do? Did you win? What were the rules?

You may know we're trying to create more substantive debates, but i've never been in a real one! :eeek:

Are there general rules that apply to all debates, or are they determined individually?

Are debate winners generally determined by a panel of judges, or is any / some other way acceptable?

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    I attended a few sessions in highschool. Not my cup of tea. I did practice. I have debated. I'm good at it.
    I never liked to 'have the floor', though. I'm better now, but my stage-fright used to be terrible. It was bad when it came to 'solo ensemble' (band/orchestra) competitions...because my nervousness was affecting my embouchure (positioning of my lips over mouthpiece)...which affected my airflow...WHICH, in turn, affected the sound quality. I had vibrato where none should've existed.
    Ugh. Bundle of nerves.
    'Scuse me, in advance, for my waltz down Tangent Lane. But, y'know...people make light of those kids hyperventilating and falling out and sh...t during those televised spelling competitions? "It is not that serious..."
    Oh - but, it is. As someone who did UIL (5-7th grade) and went to 'State', not once, but...TWICE?
    Spelling...is 'a serious matter'.

A 'very seri-ous mat-ter'...to all participants
    *laugh*

Anyway --

Debate. In highschool? I was more of a Decathlon/Mathlete/Band type and too busy nonschool extracurriculars to make room.
    But, my outsider-looking-in perspective leads me to think that it's no different from any other highschool competition...like Decathlon or Band competitions.
    I mean, there are rules. You either get a topic or know your topic beforehand. Schools compete before a panel of judges.
    It could be a one-on-one debate with you and the individual or group vs group....
    I guess....*shrug*

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    a debate is a form of informational chess, and usually chess is played with a sense of sportsmanship, meaning non emotional

Debating skills were taught in the early grades to young children starting at 3rd grade to teach logical reasoning and the ability to control ones emotions and
    ability to disagree without being disagreeable. Name calling , tantrums personal attacks and sulking were factors for disqualification.

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I did not have that pleasure until later in life. Once I became the vice president of some organization called Toast Masters while incarcerated, they taught public speaking whereby we had to use the European structure called "Roberts Rules of Order" as a format for our debates. I don't know if these can be found online but they are the rules adhered to in debates.

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    ^^^^ Keita is correct about the "Robert's Rules of Order."

I have also used it in organizational settings and I also taught debate on the middle school level.

There are certain basics in debate which include a "resolution" (the topic you're debating about), and a "For" and "Against"/"Pro" and "Con"/"Affirmative" and "Negative" stance on either side of the resolution.

There are also certain "techniques" sometimes used in debate on either side. One of these techniques, I have often pointed out here on this site from various "debaters." Instead of providing support for their stance/position, they "attack" the other "debater" in order to discredit what he or she has said or will say about their stance/position.

Example:

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I've debated in group debates in H.S. & one on one's with a professor or 2 over what was being taught in class and the only judges were my fellow students... Of course the 'votes' were lopsided because any vote for me could be potentially harmful to one's grade in that class....lol

What i've learned from those experiences, especially the college one's, was not too focus so much on the winning of a debate, but too make sure you learn something from the debate. Especially, from your opponent even if it's just to study his response timing, his/her whit, or ability to break down your argument and what points he/she attacks first and last. It can only make you stronger and more prepared for your next one even if you won your last one.

In debates, like chess, everyone usually opens up with the same 3 moves and most chess players will break their necks to have the white pieces. So years ago when i realized that, i started trying to master the black pieces and let my opponent have the white pieces which utterly confuses most and before we even got started playing on the board, i soon began to realize the importance of the psychological damage done to my opponent by just offering him the white pieces and the game was already half over before the first physical move was made.....

7. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    I've been debating since middle school. I basically dropped it in high school and haven't picked it up in college(Thats gonna change in January though). I've kept my sword sharp by remaining in this community.

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    You sho aint lyin' bout them spelling competitions either! I participated too, and those were some of the most thrilling and most frightening/anxiety-ridden moments of my young life.

"They were the best of times. They were the worst of times." :lol:

And it was especially satisfying when I or other Black kids beat out them white kids. Back then, we were so few in number. And it was good to shatter the stereotypes about Black intelligence, especially post-Integration. ----Them white kids' parents useta be so MAD whenever a Black child beat their child. --It was like Hitler refusing to shake Jesse Owens' hand at the '36 Olympics. lol

They'd get all red in the face and storm off, mad as could be. lol

Thank you for the trip down "Memory Lane."

9. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    I've never participated in any, but I've helped with some arguments and I've watched, probably, an unhealthy amount of debates.

The main format I'd suggest is Oxford style from the Oxford Unions. It's used in a lot of competitions and a lot of telvision shows that are popular now.

Here's an overview of the process/rules:
    • The motion/proposition is defined as tersely and as clearly as possible. It's usually a lot less ambiguous than an informal debate.
    • Both participants argue for or against the motion presented. Commentary on the original motion itself is allowed and I've seen a number of participants redefine or clarify aspects of a motion to set up their arguments. However, everything needs to tie in neatly back with the original motion.
    • There is a vote that's done at the before the debate that offers three positions: for the motion, against the motion, and undecided. After the debate, there's another vote to see which side has prompted the most people to change their position in their favor.
    • The usual format has two people on each side of the motion.
    • A moderator decides the order in which people proceed, providers introductions (including the participant's position), and keeps people generally within the confines of their time limit. They pretty much are always deciding who is speaking, stopping interruptions, and trying to prompt as much participation out of everyone as possible. The moderator has to be up to the task or the whole thing falls apart really.

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Thank You All So Very Much !!!! :toast: :toast: :toast:

I knew we had experienced, smart folk in this community !!!! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Oh My Goodness !!! Thank You All So Much !!! Please keep your experiences and thoughts coming ... 'cause we gonna do this!

Not only are we gonna do it, but we're gonna do it at the highest standards we can !!! :D :D :D ... YAAAAAAAAAAAY USSSSS !!!!

Ohhhhhhhh Boy ... i'm getting more excited!

I'm working on a way for us to be able to facilitate these debates, and you all helping with this part, just how one actually runs, is GREAT!

Sister MimiBelle ... thanks for sharing ... i'm nervous already!

Brother Ankhur ... thanks for sharing ... i actually saw the Great Debaters ... as i don't generally see movies ... and it was a great!

Brother Keita ... you've already been in a formal debate! ... :eeek: ... no fair ... seems like i should get a head start or sump'n! ... :)

Sister Cherry ... you taught debate ??? ... oh boy ... uhhhhh ... i think i'm gonna need a tutor .... :lol: ... :love: ... thanks for sharing!

Brother Info ... i so agree with you, even if one does not win, the opportunity for growth and learning is still there! Thank You!

Brother Knowledge Seed ... i'm so proud of you ... and not just for this ... I've kept my sword sharp by remaining in this community ... :love:

Brother Gorilla ... okay ... Robert's Rule of Orders or Oxford Unions ... or something else? ... or some combination of them all? ... as we can style this how we'd like.

I'm gonna need to read, study, understand these options i suppose ... unless we have a Debate Committee ... or something.

I don't know ... oh my gosh ... you all are the ones with the experience ... i have none.

Considering we're gonna do this ... and we are ... what would be the first thing that needs establishing ... a committee of sorts or sump'n?

A panel that determines what the rules / protocol will be ... how we will move forward ... judge .... determine winners ... etc.?

Yall tell me ... oh wise ones ... :love:

Wow ... this is gonna be FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN !!!! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Thanks So Much For Your Help!

Love You!

:heart:

Destee