Africa : Have you been to Africa? Do you care?

Abantu

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 17, 2004
Hotep everyone!

I'm new to this board and I'm loving it. It's refreshing to find a pro-black ACTIVE forum, I have been searching for that for awhile.

Well, I'm a native of Africa. I am a Kongolese woman born and raised in DR Congo. I had to leave my country because of war and poverty. I have been living in the US for 6 years and I don't like it. America and Europe are the root cause of the problems of my country, my continent and my entire race, why then should I like their societies? I'm just surviving here, thinking about a better tomorrow for me and my people. I really can't do much about it right now, the INS gives me SO MUCH trouble.. I'm still standing though.

My question is, how many of the "Afrocentrist" blacks here travelled to Africa? How many of you are willing to do it? It's nice to talk about "unity of the black race", "Pan-Africanism" etc.. but it seems not many black diasporas are willing to bridge the gap with Africans of continent, regularly go there for vacation, invest there, etc.. Some people give me the excuse that they don't have the money, yet they find money to buy brand new cars, the latest electronic gadgets, or even travel to Europe. What a shame!!

The only way to build Pan-Africanism is through SACRIFICE!! I am willing to be friends with black Americans, but the majority dislike my mentality because my concern are merely for our traditional ways. I'm not at all into superficiality, Western fashion, culture etc. I'm not even close friends with black American "Afrocentrist" folks I often meet in Afrocentric clubs in the city where I live. WHY? Are we radically so different?? 400 years of slavery, colonizaton and exploitaion really severed black diasporas form their borthers and sisters of the continent?

Who in this forum is willing to save hard-earned money to GO to Africa? Who here is willing to perhaps sacrifice "Western comfort" (crumbs compared to those of white folks really) to go help the poor and deseperate Africans of the Motherland? Who here is willing to OPPOSE the Arab and Westerns missionaries in the Africa soil, who encourage our people to reject their traditonal heritage, and the welfare of their nations? It is time to put our money where our mouth is. The wealthy and the most dertermined among us have no excuse.

With that said, people should know I'm not pointing finger at anybody. People do whatever they want with their conscience. As for myself, I'm living in the US so-called "American Eldorado" because of economic reasons. As soon as I can get enough money, and the INS will let me travel, I will be off back to Africa. I will go help my people regularly. Before I die I will help Africans in Mama Africa financially and spychologically, or I wil die trying.. What about you "Africanist" Diasporas?

Abantu (black people)

Yengue e Zola (Peace and Love).

welcome 2 destee Abantu we r glad 2 have you here!

i have never been 2 afrika but i will at some point. i had a debate with a family member the other day about the same concerns you raised. it concerns me when afrikan americans want to disassociate them selves from afrikans. my relative expressed that she thinks afrika is a lost cause and that we r better off helping people in the ghettos of amerikkka. i could not disagree more, this relative of mine said the same thing about afrikans that you said about afrikan americans. that is many of them look down upon us dont want anything 2 do with us (aa's). i hear this from many aa's and believe this presumptious attitude needs to stop. we r one people no matter how different we r, we share many of the same traditions wether we know it or not.

i would like to ask you what we aa's can do from here in amerikkka? what would your people consider to be helpful? i another thread in this forum we once discussed what products would be helpful to afrikans as far as exporting. what type of goods & services that aa's can provide and export would be beneficial to the kongolese population? for that matter what would be some good imports that yts no doubt are feasting on or will if we dont? how does the kongelese population feel about their government? i have a relative that travelled to the kongo last year, she was deeply saddened by the conditions there. just like the sudan and s. afrika we aa's are in a postition to bring global attention to these countries. i would like to ask you how do afrikans in you contry view us, i know u cant speak for everyone but what r some typical or common thoughts on aa's that you have heard if any?

i believe dialog is the key, we need to build with each other mentaly as well as financially, scientifically & spiritually.

one

Welcome to Destee.com Abantu! There are several people on these forums who have made the journey home. I will be travelling to Africa (Guinea) next year with my wife. I believe that many African Americans would like to travel to Africa, they just don't know where to go, or are scared by the images that they see on TV.

I am willing to be friends with black Americans, but the majority dislike my mentality because my concern are merely for our traditional ways. I'm not at all into superficiality, Western fashion, culture etc. I'm not even close friends with black American "Afrocentrist" folks I often meet in Afrocentric clubs in the city where I live. WHY? Are we radically so different?? 400 years of slavery, colonizaton and exploitaion really severed black diasporas form their borthers and sisters of the continent?

I am sorry that you have problems relating to African Americans; however, as you already stated, slavery & separation has created a wide cultural gap (too wide for many to bridge unassisted). Thus if you want to bridge this gap, you have to educate others. Be an ambassador for your country & people. Point out that Africans & African-American share the same blood & heritage. Many African Americans fear (feel) rejected by Africans, if you demonstrate that this isn't the case, you might be surprised how many respond to you positively!

Welcome to Destee stay a while. Pull up a chair. Share

Welcome Abantu

What state are you located in? Are you sending money home, keeping in contact with family? There are so many things you could share with us about yourself, and Africa. I am really interested in learning more.

You asked about our commitment. I believe you would find there is no lack of support that we wouldn't garner and focus toward Africa if we knew all of Africa would actually receive the funds, well wishes and us visiting first hand to see and support the land of our ancestors.

One can never abandon their past. If they did they would be floating souls, a fly on a chip, lost in a storm of confusion.

You asked some tough questions. It is a challenge. I can read a challenge everything should be a challenge.

My question is, how many of the "Afrocentrist" blacks here travelled to Africa? How many of you are willing to do it? It's nice to talk about "unity of the black race", "Pan-Africanism" etc.. but it seems not many black diasporas are willing to bridge the gap with Africans of continent, regularly go there for vacation, invest there, etc.. Some people give me the excuse that they don't have the money, yet they find money to buy brand new cars, the latest electronic gadgets, or even travel to Europe. What a shame!!

How many of you are willing to do it? It's nice to talk about "unity of the black race"

Let me start with a fact about me. I would help any man, any woman and any one regardless of race creed or color. I would help them any time and anyplace I could. Financially. With time. In support and i would stand with them to argue their point.

What I would never do is place myself in an unsafe condition or place to do any of the above. I would never do anything to purposely place myself in danger to do what I listed. I don't go to certain neighborhoods here in America. It is no longer safe to do so.

As much as I would love to help and support. I will not purposely be foolish.

Those wanting help. Must first learn. You don't kill the messenger. That used to be the old way. They must first learn. If you want help. Stop hurting yourself. Stop hurting those who can help, want to help. Stop taking drugs, and drinking long enough to clear your head. You must allow yourself to be helped.

I say this because many here in America would attack, rob, and kill someone that arrived in their neighborhood. Many in poor areas would make claims they think they are better than we are. They would claim something along those lines.

Another thing about me. I can tell after I get involved to help someone weather they are serious about helping themselves. I can tell right away you would help yourself. If you want me to help. You must show you will truly help yourself. Look like you are trying. Act like you are trying. Do your best.

The fighting. Killing, drug use and war between Blacks here in America and Africans over in Africa against each other first has to stop. I won't purposely go there, be there, or enter the areas. In reality in both places they haven't shown they are ready to help themselves. Folks would drink you dry. Laugh, think and call you a fool. And miss the point that you were there for them. If you go about helping them and they haven't gotten serious about helping themselves.

Teach a man to fish. He will feed himself for life. ( But he may tell you he don't like fishing ) Lead a horse to water. But you can't make him drink.

My question is, how many of the "Afrocentrist" blacks here travelled to Africa?

Many blacks here don't have passports. Never applied. Feel they don't need one. Never will consider getting one. That needs to change. We need to travel to Europe. We need to travel to Africa. All of us and return here revived. Refreshed and ready to tackle this place we know is wrong.

it seems not many black diasporas are willing to bridge the gap with Africans of continent, regularly go there for vacation, invest there, etc..

I have a friend from Nigeria. I'm going there with him. It will be my first visit to Africa. I'm going to Europe. I picked up my documents and will have my passport next year.

Who in this forum is willing to save hard-earned money to GO to Africa? Who here is willing to perhaps sacrifice "Western comfort" (crumbs compared to those of white folks really) to go help the poor and deseperate Africans of the Motherland? Who here is willing to OPPOSE the Arab and Westerns missionaries in the Africa soil, who encourage our people to reject their traditonal heritage, and the welfare of their nations? It is time to put our money where our mouth is. The wealthy and the most dertermined among us have no excuse.

The problem here. The problem in Africa is we allow the Government in both places to remain corrupt. Not support us like it is legislated. We both must start hwith changing the process and work that process using all the avenues and laws in place along with blood, sweat and effort.

Here we paid taxes, are paying taxes for services that are inferior. We must demand nothing less than what we are due, pay for and support. They stilll don't give us our due. When we say we need these things they act like we didn't contribute.

It's like the excuse whites use that they were not a part of or ever owned slaves. They still live on the profits of that day. The lights are on in their neighborhoods because we paid taxes. Yet we can't get the same. Ridiculous. I would make all kinds of noise. I will continue to make noise about conditions. I can't help unless the effected individual makes noise first. So when you go home. Tell all of your brothers and sisters. To get angry. Make some noise.

Claim out loud Black Americans said we ( they ) would help you because we will. Claim you’re rightfully owned gold. Dig up the diamonds you all own. Take back all the riches of the land America and Europe has stolen for centuries. We both can stand and say. We have helped each other. We have helped ourselves.

The difference between you and us right now is. You have a land you can say you were born on in Africa. We can't point to where our ancestors came from. We couldn't tell you what Tongue our ancestors spoke. Or the dress and customs of that nation. We would have to adopt the whole nation to be sure we are hugging home land. If you want to do something. Spell it out. We know Africa needs food. We know you need weapons to fight with. A goverment will not attack or would slow to attack anyone that has armed themselves and can defend themselves. Over here we claim a right to own weapons. Do the same over there. Over here we need to stop turning them on ourselves. Do the same over there. Tell us what you need. Become the conduit we need. We would show you we walk the walk. We don't just talk the talk here in America.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back