Pert Em Heru / Kemetian Texts : Have You Already Read "The Book of the Dead?"

Discussion in 'Pert Em Heru / Kemetian Texts Study Group' started by Destee, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family,

We have embarked on a great journey together !!! :love:

Thank you all for coming along! :horse:

I thought it would be good to know, of those taking part in this effort, who has already read Pert Em Heru ... The Book of the Dead ?

Do you own your own copy, or did you read it online?

Please share with us your experience with this work.

I have not read it at all, have no experience, a clean slate, if you will ... :book: :read:

Looking forward to learning with you all!

:heart:

Destee

2. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Yes, I have read this book more than once.

I read BUDGE's work initially. It was difficult in doing so, because I still had alot of preconceived notions about death, heaven/hell, etc.

I then read ASHBY's version, and along with taking on a greater understanding of METU and SHETAUT NETER, understanding the relevance of this text was far easier.

I own my copy of the Pert.

PEACE

3. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I'm in the same boat...clean slate.

4. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I haven't read it either. The first time I've heard of it, was here on the forum.
    Will we be reading a chapter at a time and then discussing that chapter?

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Sister Purple ... so glad to have you in on this! Yes, my first time hearing of "The Book of the Dead" was on this site too, years ago, it was Brother Aqil speaking on it. I'm sure that we will begin studying chapter by chapter, though they are referred to as "PLATES" ... not sure why ... but i've posted them all in this forum, so we can read it all here.

We've only just begun, and it seems most of the questions / discussion thus far is simply trying to create a framework in which to understand this text. That isn't going real easy, but, nobody said it would be. We haven't begun to read the chapters (PLATES) yet, at least i haven't.

Just jump right on into any of the threads. Here's a list of how the text is outlined in the following forum :

Introduction

The Book of the Dead
    Preface
    The Versions of The Book of the Dead
    The Legend of Osiris
    The Doctrine of Eternal Life
    The Egyptians' Ideas of God
    The Legend of Ra and Isis
    The Abode of the Blessed
    The Gods of The Book of the Dead
    The Principal Geographical and Mythological Places in The Book of the Dead
    Funeral Ceremonies
    The Papyrus of Ani

Translation

Plate I.
    Plate II.
    Plate III.
    Plate IV.
    Plates V. and VI.
    Plates VII.-X.
    Plates XI. and XII.
    Plate XIII.
    Plate XIV.
    Plate XV.
    Plate XVI.
    Plate XVII.
    Plate XVIII.
    Plate XIX.
    Plate XX.
    Plate XXI.
    Plate XXII.
    Plate XXIII. and Plate XXIV.
    Plate XXV.
    Plate XXVI.
    Plate XXVII.
    Plate XXVIII.
    Plates XXIX. and XXX.
    Plates XXXI. and XXXII.
    Plate XXXII.
    Plate XXXIII.
    Plates XXXIII and XXXIV.
    Plates XXXV. and XXXVI.
    Plate XXXVII.

I've only read things under the Introduction heading so far.

Love You!

Destee

6. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Thank You Much, Sister!

You are definitely right about it not being easy. Alot of the terminology by it's self, take's me on a loop. However, I find that if I read something over umphteen times:oops:my understanding begins to kick in. Thanks for the link; I've ventured into it, and started to read. When I got to The Versions of The Book of the Dead, It began to read like (ooubba duubba doo) to me. Sister I had to step away from it, but I'm back now. Taking my time and reading very slowly at that.

I'm so confused, but I'm excited and eager to learn and understand. Looking forward to it too.:ilu:

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Sister Purple ... i've not read one of those threads in their entirety yet. I kinda picked the more introductory type threads, that interested me, and the questions immediately started ... lol ... and i've been posting them, listening to Brother SAMURAI, and trying to develop the framework before jumping all inside knowing i can't swim ... :)

So just go slow Sister ... we're not in a hurry, and we're blessed to have each other helping each other to understand ... so don't hesitate asking a question, as i'm sure this is newer to more folk than it is older to ... if that made any sense at all! :)

Right now ... i'm deep in a discussion on "Who is Ani?" ... if Ani was a real person or not, and trying to understand that. The Book of the Dead is supposedly the instructions included in his tomb (that has never been found), to help with his journey after death ... if i understand that part right! :)

Love You Sister! :love:

Destee

8. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    I have read it but it is the one done by R.O. Fulkner. I read this one about eight years ago and continue to see the same as I have re-read it. It is difficult to draw understanding without having pre-knowledge of the information the passages makes reference too.

9. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759
    i have read the book of coming forth by day and night

i currently have a copy translated by dr york( i am familar with some personal opinions of him) however his translation is powerful. It is a self study that when overstood will change your life. To feel the love and affection we shared for one another through original scripture is breath taking.and the pride felt in ones heart for not affending the neteru in beautiful. however i must stress again the book of coming forth by day and night is a challange for an indivdual who has not been formally introduced to the neteru.

10. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    I found myself seeking

comfort and solace, and realized that it had been an aeon since last I took to reading the Pert Em Heru. This prayer lifted my spirit so wonderfully that I wanted to share it here:

"The Declaration of Innocence-Chapter 125

Introduction

What should be said when arriving at the Hall of Justice, of Two Truths, purging N [the deceased] of all the forbidden things he has done, and seeing the faces of all the Gods.

Spell for descending to the broad hall of Two Truths:

N shall say:

Hail to you, great God, Lord of Justice! I have come to you, my lord, that you may bring me so that I may see your beauty, for I know you and I know your name, and I know the names of the forty-two gods of those who are with you in this Hall of Justice, who live on those who cherish evil and who gulp down their blood on that day of the reckoning of characters in the presence of Wennefer. Behold the double son of the Songstresses; Lord of Truth is your name. Behold I have come to you, I have brought you truth, I have repelled falsehood for you.

I have not done falsehood against men, I have not impoverished my associates, I have done no wrong in the Place of Truth, I have not learnt that which is not, I have done no evil, I have not daily made labor in excess of what was to be done for me, my name has not reached the offices of those who control slaves, I have not deprived the orphan of his property, I have not done what the gods detest, I have not slandered a servant to his master, I have not caused pain, I have not made hungry, I have not made to weep, I have not killed, I have not turned anyone over to a killer, I have not caused anyone’s suffering, I have not diminished the food-offerings in the temples, I have not debased the offering cakes of the gods.

I have not taken the cakes of the blessed, I have not copulated illicitly, I have not been unchaste, I have not increased nor diminished the measure, I have not diminished the palm, I have not encroached upon fields, I have not added to the balance weights, I have not tempered with the plumb bob of the balance. I have not taken milk from a child’s mouth, I have not driven small cattle from their herbage, I have not snared birds for the gods’ harpoon barbs, I have not caught fish of their lagoons, I have not stopped the flow f water in its seasons. I have not built a dam against flowing water, I have not quenched a fire in its time. I have not failed to observe the days for haunches of meat. I have not kept cattle away from the God’s property, I have not blocked the God at his processions.

I am Pure. I am pure. I am pure. I am pure. My purity is the purity of this great Phoenix that is in Heracleopolis, because I am indeed the nose of the Lord of Wind who made all men live on that day of completing the Sacred Eye in Heliopolis in the 2nd month of winter last day, in the presence of the lord of this land. I am he who saw the completion of the Sacred Eye in Heliopolis, and nothing evil shall come into being against me in this land in this Hall of Justice, because I know the names of these gods who are in it.

The further declaration to the 42 gods can be found here:

http://www.touregypt.net/bod3.htm

I have been cautioned in meditation to return to the obedience of God, and to do so obeying his laws and his will. Sister Alexandra gave me good advice in paying reverence to my ancestors. Unless I pray continually and follow with devotion, I cannot expect to overcome my adversaries. My body is doing well with it's purification but I do experience strong bouts of conflict for meat or sugar, but I do not let these things deter me from pursuing the goal of spiritual victory.

I am glad this thread is here, I know that I will have much to re-member and learn anew from both the texts and the insights of others.

Ma'at Hetepu.

p.s I will set aside some money to purchase Sebai Ashby's copy of this text; as I am currently reading it online.