Black Men : Have We As AfroAmerican Men Become Spoiled?

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Dual Karnayn, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Please take time to READ.

Some may see that as an absurd question and answer it with an emphatic:

Hell no!

With all the hell we've been catching from the police and 400 years of legalized lynching, brutality, and over all disrespect....how can someone DARE ask such a question!

But let us dwell on our condition these last 30 years and take white people out of the picture all together so that we can just dwell on how we currently stand among men of color.

If you look at it we have more money, more sex, more dope and liquor to use, better clothes, better cars, and more to eat than 90% of ALL other men of color around the world. When was the last time we as Black men of this generation had to FIGHT for our women, FIGHT just to get a woman, FIGHT for our jobs, FIGHT for equal rights, FIGHT for inclusion, or just FIGHT to keep from being anihalated?

We have achieved a position of opportunity and greatness most men can only dream about.

Things men have historically fought and had decades long conflict over, has been passed down to us as our birth-rite.

Why am I asking this......

Because I think....and this is just a thought.....I think being given so much and not knowing how we got it and what we had to do TO get it has made us soft and vulnerable.
    Most of what we have, was passed down to us and we are taking a lot of our blessing for granted.
    When things come too easy you don't appreciate it and cherish it as much.

As I read around on different threads and different sites all together it seems to me that most of us have lost that natural territorialism that most men have that allows them to fight for and keep what they've accumulated.

For examples:

We aren't protective and jealous of our woman, what she thinks of us, and who she associate with.
    Because we can just as easily get another one and have all the fun we want.

But if there was a rule that you can have only ONE woman and must maintain her for the rest of your life as in some cultures...we'd be a little more protective and jealous.

What if other men were aggressively pursuing them and taking them away with better offers, then we wouldn't be so laid back and cool!

Maybe every non-Black man you SEE walking around your neighborhood you'd be suspicious of and be ready to brick him in the head.

"What the hell he doing around here...what he want???"

Imagine we HAD to rely on the children we brought in this world to take care of us when we got old and sick..instead of the government. We had to rely on them to house us, keep us clean, feed us, and protect us now that we are too old to do for self.

Wouldn't be so quick to abandon our children THEN would we?

Wouldn't be so quick to seek abortions THEN would we?

"Dang, I need my chilluns..who gonna take care of me when I git ole?"

We aren't fighting and rioting over low wages and our jobs being given away. Most jobs we have we can get by on. And if we can't get by we shack up with somebody, stay at home with our parents, or live with friends and all pitch in to maintain.

No big deal right?
    Nothing to kill nobody over.....

But what if we were in a culture that FORCED men over 17 to live on their own and maintain themselves independantly with ONLY the job they have.

You couldn't sell dope...it's not around.
    You can't steal...ain't nobody around you got anything worth stealing...lol.

You couldn't even think about pimping or staying with your parents...you HAD to support yourself with whatever job you could find.

I bet you'd be raising so much hell about low wages and down-sizing the politicians wouldn't rest at night.

*Now....Now under THAT scenario with you struggling poor and hungery trying to survive:

Imagine thousands of Mexicans marching into your hood to get jobs...lol.

Imagine you saw the government giving Arabs and Indians loans and tax breaks to open up businesses in your neighborhood while you could barely eat and had to work your tail off...lol

What would you do THEN?

See that's why they weren't able to bring all these Mexicans and Arabs in back in the 50s and 60s...because Black men would have burned them out.
    We were real back then because our very livelihoods depended on jobs and businesses.

We weren't about to let nobody come in and get some.

What if hospitals started practicing segregation again and put us in the basements and gave us the inferior medicines and treatments?
    And most of the white and Asian nurses refused to touch, treat, or clean us?

It would be unbearable wouldn't it?

We'd be FORCED to open up our own hospitals and train our own doctors and nurses because we wouldn't be used to such foul treatment after years of integration.

Now am I suggesting that we go BACKWARDS and abandon all the gains we've made in the last 40 years?

No.

Becuase whether I'm suggesting it or not things ARE TURNING back to those conditions for us, but it's happening so gradually we barely notice it.

And because we can't see it right away, we aren't preparing ourselves for it and it's slowly slicing away at us.

We need to start fighting to maintain what our ancestors fought and died for.

Politicians are taking away our rights.
    Our women are being turned out and turned against us.
    Foreigners who care nothing for us are taking our places in both jobs and housing.

We can't just sit back joking, partying, and having fun ingnoring the negative elements thinking all this will last forever.

You're busy reading "The Power of Positive Thinking" "Black Enterprise" and selling demo tapes out the trunk of your car thinking one day you'll get rich.
    Meanwhile the Indians and Arabs are buying up your entire block and turning it into Little Calcutta or Bagdad.
    They didn't have to read a d*mn book...they got the connection!

If you think these white folks are giving you a hard time, go to Asia and see if you can get a job or even THINK about marrying or screwing an Indians or Arab woman.
    The Koreans won't even let your black behind in the country.

But they are all coming here to feast off of our carcass because America has the best think going.

You can't find your particular brand of wave-pomade and you THINK you're having a bad day...lol.

Oh brutha, wait until you see what's comming on the horizon if you don't learn how to fight.

Brothers and Sisters, I want you to think about what I said very carefully.

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Afro American should be able to enjoy the spolis of war, yet it should never once be taken for granted, knowing our humble past and ALLLLLL we as a people had to endure. :hearts4: Never at the expense of another Brother or Sister.

3. Son of RA

Son of RA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +92
    Great post and I am in agreement. But to explain our lack of concern for our problems let Ancestor Amos N Wilson explain: "The greatest struggle of oppressed Afrikans is not against their white oppressors but against their own apathy."

Apathy: a disease of feeling, emotion or interest; a pathology of sensitivity, energy and initiative; an absence of feeling.

"Apathy is a special concern when it involves a lack of interest in learning or doing those things which if learned or done could resolve important problems confronting the apathetic individual. Apathy is learned behavior, a form of conditioned laziness and helplessness. It is the attitudinal-behavioral product of a special form of social-emotional conditioning; a form of learned fear and anxiety."

Our behaviors/mindset have come from social programming/engineering. With oppression comes apathy, alienation, denial, pathological anxiety, delusion, amnesia. So-called afroamericans have been conditioned to be spoiled, happy, believe all is good, turn the other cheek, love thy enemy. These behaviors allows white america and its sub-groups (asian, arabs, hispanics, hindus, etc) to sleep easier and keeps the caste system running smoothly. The slave system is the same as always, it just gets more sophisticated every day. "If oppression is to operate with maximum efficiency, it must become and remain a psychological condition achieving self-perpetuating motion by its own internal dynamics and by its own inertial momentum." What is really insane is now some afroamericans do not even think they are oppressed. But that too is social conditioning. We can reverse all this madness but it is going to take lots of energy. We can do it. We will do it. We have no other choice. :grouphug:

Tranquillity

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    i think apathy is a sign of depression.
    i think depression is a mental illness that occurs when anger is turned inward against oneself.

my theory is that if blacks can be taught to vent their anger outward against their oppressors rather then inward against each other the status of black people will improve quickly.

5. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    yeah, we do need to use that anger in some sort of constructive fashion.

i'm thinking that it might be more effective to hone all that anger (and make sure to use ALL of it!) into a laser scalpel, and direct it inward to burn away this westernization that keeps us fighting everything? starting at that point where our parents were/are arguing with the "educational system" about whether or not we should do "so much homework". i'm thinking that that is where it all begins: don't have to do all that homework; don't have to work that hard; somebody else will handle that bit; go outside and play!

perhaps a rethink on the concept of "anger management"? not directing it outward at "the enemy", nor directing it inward at ourselves, but individually directing it at the twisting that this society has done to each of us.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    that works for me.
    black people spend entirely too much time being mad at each other and at our own selves.
    just look at how we run our own selves down!

we need to view that poison as a separate entity and not at all a part of us.

7. soulsearcher

soulsearcher Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    This is a very good observation.

I think it's also important that people realize blacks are not a monolith, and get away from being so judgemental of the 'tom' (which is causing a lot of division) or forcefully assume a real black person must think such and such a way. Why are we so suspicious of our own people in areans that purport black unity? Is there one ultimate way to be black, or could there be a myriad of approaches? Is there a way to find a common ground at least? And yes... I am including myself in this equation as I have begun to realize I might have been subconsciously unwelcoming to a fellow black person because I judged whatever I perceived to be their 'symptom' instead of trying to engage in further dialogue. However... if the situation is done to you in some form or fashion, you quickly become compassionate to what they went through and see how wrong you were in your approach with them.

There are some people right here that would like to contribute more to the community, but feel very uncomfortable doing so because it's been made clear that the board in general considers certain viewpoints or lifestyle choices to be explicity anti-black, a view that is offensive when you are black. It then becomes difficult giving an opinion because you're always wondering, are they going to question me being black... are they going to throw up something in my face.... are they going to insinuate I'm a tom that doesn't care about the black community? It gets to the point where you just don't want to share certain things unless they go with the flow, which means denying yourself, which means possibly denying growth.

8. Moorfius

Moorfius Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +27
    It is Time to Rally our Forces as African People*

Hotep

Brothers and Sisters,...we have tried every thing for the past 400+ years except a return to our Ancesteril Spiritual Roots. After we have exausted what ever remains of the effort to waste our presius time,...we will finaly know that there is nothing new under the Sun except our unwillingnes to be who we are created to be,...and that is a Spiritual Black people whos "Only" purpose for being here,...is to "Develope" and "Grow" ourself Spiritualy before it is our time for Transformation into the next life. Unfortunatly,...there are those who find it hard to lay down the False Teachings of the Arch Deceiver who has Falsely misguided, miseducated, misinformed, misdirected Black People in Every way Imaginable with no chance of redemption except to leave and give back "All" to the ones who in the begining,...Distorted the Truth to the point that we are now Falsely worshiping their False Docterins, Ancestors and Images of Deceit. There is no need to fear "Hell", because "We" already have that! There is nothing the Fantasy Devil (Red with horns, pitchfork, hoof-feet and tail) can do to "Us" that hasn't already been done! We suffer from "Dis-belief in our selves and fear that we may be making a mistake if we return to our "Origenal" Purpose of Spirituality. We should be able to see the Fake, False, Trickery that is being played daily by those who pretend they are all Surprim and Powerful. There is nothing Real except the Lies and Falsehood they have told (You) to the World. Every thing without exception,...has been made and produced by your Ancestors and you. Remember,...the open enemy is the arch Open Enemy to every African on this Planet, and have always been and always will be, they are Naturaly Opposed to "Your" very existance in every thing we do on this Earth. They will never "Willingly",..."Do the Right Thing by You",...until "You Make Them".
    Today is the day for us to decide that we will be a "Self-Determining" people, today is the time we must take back our "Life" from these people,...who sould not have it in the first place. Now is the time to reclaim our Families, Spirituality, Culture etc and Do what must be done to Dignify and Honor our Existance. Now, with this said,...if we don't agree that this is the position of a Real Man,...then the answer is "Yes",...We are Spoiled,...so-called AfroAmerican Men. We don't have to be, we can change every thing (Starting with our Self) we are not happy with, as soon as we Stand Up and Fight for what is (Right) our Right to Exist and not continue to allow others to oppress and Define Who We Are!!! We must know our selves

Ase`

http://www.africaspeaks.com/kelani/en/10092004.html

http://www.counter-racism.com/soundbites/

http://www.blackconsciousness.com/

http://www.directblackaction.com/

http://www.swagga.com/libation.htm

9. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    But the question remains....

HAVE WE become spoiled and lost our ability to fight for and maintain what we have today?

If we were knocked back down to the condition we were in 50 years ago, would we be able to regain our economic, political, and social power?

I don't think we could with the selfish and "who cares" mentality so many of us have today.

Now ofcourse I could have asked this same question about AfroAmerican women being spoiled because in my opinion we both have been spoiled and softened toward "the cause".

But when the MEN lose thier ability to fight, organize, and stand up for the rights and status of thier community in a given society....you might as well hang it up now.

If all the whites in America were to mysteriously disappear leaving only us. How long do you think we would have this nation in the condition we're in today?

Either the millions of immigrants who have flooded this country would wrestle it out of our hands.....

Or the Chinese would have it in 2 weeks.......

because we are so divided along religious and social lines PLUS we have become so spoiled by working menial/mediocre "just get buy" jobs instead of trying to learn HOW this nation works we wouldn't be able to keep it running.

What made America so great?

Don't you want to know?

We are too DEPENDANT on white people for every d*mn thing!

We eat the food, but we don't want to figure out how to grow it.
    We drive the car, but we don't want to figure out how to make it.
    We buy the house, but we don't want to figure out how to build it.

We can sit up and argue all day long on the internet about freedom and independance and ain't THINKING about how to develop our own system and make our own computers so we can discuss thing privately.

10. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    SPOILED??!!??

I dont think so. Even though we are doing a lot better, we are still on the bottom of the economic and power ladders. Yes we have more black CEOs. But if those individuals arent raising three more just like them...... There has never been a year in the history of this country that a bm hasnt been lynched. Our family structure is breaking down. Our traditional institutions are as well. Sex, drugs and money arent what make a people. The fact that those markers are used as success, proves we still have a long way to go. No, black men arent spoiled.