Black Sports : Has There Ever Been an All Black Roster for a Professional Sports Team?

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Destee, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Has There Ever Been an All Black Roster for a Professional Sports Team?

What brought this question to mind, was the fact that it seemed like there was only one white person on the Miami Heat Roster, if no mistake. That of course, doesn't mean all the other team members are black. I don't even know if all but one is white. I'm actually asking, but it looked like that briefly watching them play recently.

In an effort to answer my own question, i did a brief search, and found the following journal article written in 1997. It's very interesting, but it did not answer my question. In fact, i didn't find the answer, and am hoping yall can tell me. Is Miami Heat as close as it's come, or am i wrong about their roster?

Has There Ever Been an All Black Roster for a Professional Sports Team?

Racial Composition of NBA, NFL, and MLB Teams and Racial Composition of Franchise Cities.

Journal article by Wilbert M. Leonard II; Journal of Sport Behavior, Vol. 20, 1997

The founding of the major professional sport leagues of baseball, football, and basketball occupy centrally significant portions of the U.S. sports history. Although their ages vary--baseball is the eldest at nearly 125 years old, basketball is the youngest at 50, and football is 75--they all commenced as all-white enclaves. From being lily white in player composition at their conception, today African-Americans comprise approximately 79% of NBA rosters, 65% of NFL line ups, and 18% of MLB teams (about 18 % of MLB players are Hispanic). Obviously there has been a skyrocketing in African-American participation (Lapchick & Benedict, 1994).

Today, racism appears to take a variety of forms, and even sportscasters, hall-of-fame selection committees, sport executives, and owners have been judged racially bigoted (Coakley, 1994). Three contemporary aspects of sport that appear to be racially biased surround (a) position allocation, (b) performance differentials, and (c) reward and authority structures (Leonard, 1993).

The NBA is segregated against blacks. Not just because so few black fans can afford to attend the games . . . black players are kept out of the NBA solely on account of their color. There is a city-by-city quota system. The result is that the whiter the city the whiter the team . . . The coaches don't pick the team; the market does. (p. 56).

Myers (1991) reported that teams such as Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and San Antonio- with large proportions of whites-typically have "whiter" rosters than teams such as Detroit, Atlanta, and Washington, D.C.-with smaller proportions of whites. In short, using the average number of African-Americans on NBA teams as the norm, a direct correlation between the "blackness" of the franchise city and the "blackness" of the team existed. Although not directly related to the present inquiry, Schollaert and Smith (1987) found that the racial composition of NBA teams did not affect live attendance.

Click Here To Read More

:heart:

Destee

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I think no more then the Negro League
    Negro League Teams Index

From the 1880s to 1950 literally hundreds of all-black, professional and semi-professional baseball teams played throughout the United States. While at times black baseball at its top levels enjoyed the benefits of organized league structures, most teams played in loosely organized circuits or as independents. In the common parlance all are referred to as "Negro League" teams.

The list below is by no means a complete list of all the teams that competed in the 70-year history of Negro League baseball, and the compilation of the list is an ongoing project.
    Atlanta Black ********
    Austin Black Senators
    Baltimore Black Sox Baltimore Elite Giants
    Birmingham Black Barons Brooklyn Royal Giants
    Chicago American Giants Cincinnati Tigers
    Cleveland Buckeyes Cleveland Cubs
    Cuban Stars - East
    Dayton Marcos
    Detroit Stars Homestead Grays
    Indianapolis ABCs Indianapolis Clowns
    Kansas City Monarchs Memphis Red Sox
    New York Black Yankees New York Cubans
    Newark Eagles Philadelphia Stars
    Pittsburgh Crawfords
    St. Louis Stars

Outside that no more then an all starting line up of all black players across the sports world of baseball/basketball/ but i don't think it's ever been an all black football of an sort.

3. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Basely NO there is no all Black Team of any sort ...

4. Heartbeat

Heartbeat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +86
    I would think that over the last 20 years at least one NBA team had an all black roster. Don't know for sure but It would not surprise me if that were true.

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    You have to have at least one token white person on the team. I think that's in the rules

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    If i'm not mistaken the knicks in the early 90's had an all black roster. I think it was the year jordan left to play baseball and the knicks finally beat the bulls and went to the championship.

Roster

No. Player Pos Ht Wt Birth Date Exp College

42 Eric Anderson F 6-9 220 May 26, 1970 1 Indiana University
    50 Greg Anthony G 6-0 176 November 15, 1967 2 University of Nevada, Las Vegas
    20 Rolando Blackman G 6-6 190 February 26, 1959 12 Kansas State University
    4 Anthony Bonner F 6-8 215 June 8, 1968 3 Saint Louis University
    9 Tony Campbell F-G 6-7 215 May 7, 1962 9 Ohio State University
    44 Hubert Davis G 6-5 183 May 17, 1970 1 University of North Carolina
    33 Patrick Ewing C-F 7-0 240 August 5, 1962 8 Georgetown University
    7 Corey Gaines G 6-3 195 June 1, 1965 3 Loyola Marymount University
    11 Derek Harper G 6-4 185 October 13, 1961 10 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    14 Anthony Mason F 6-7 250 December 14, 1966 4 Tennessee State University
    34 Charles Oakley F-C 6-8 225 December 18, 1963 8 Virginia Union University
    35 Gerald Paddio F-G 6-7 205 April 21, 1965 2 University of Nevada, Las Vegas
    25 Doc Rivers G 6-4 185 October 13, 1961 10 Marquette University
    54 Charles Smith F-C 6-10 230 July 16, 1965 5 University of Pittsburgh
    3 John Starks G 6-3 180 August 10, 1965 4 Oklahoma State University
    32 Herb Williams C-F 6-10 242 February 16, 1958 12 Ohio State University

This is around the time when white boys were being faded out of basketball and each team, especially in the east only had one or two on their roster and only one might have played some minutes. So what the Nba did was start going to europe to scout talent and bring them over. Enter Tony Kukoc who went to the bulls and got all that money before ever showing he could run with the NBA level of talent and jordan and pippen got mad and embarrassed him in the olympics the year before he actually came over.

7. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    [​IMG]
    Greg Kite was on that team in the 94-95 season

trade from Boston to New york Knicks
    and in the 95-96 season they had Brad Lohoaus
    [​IMG]
    he was traded by the San Antonio Spurs with J.R. Reid and a 1996 first round draft pick (John Wallace) to the New York Knicks for Charles Smith and Monty Williams

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

93-94 roster. Looks like all brothers to me.

9. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    you know that is correct the players was all Brothers in 93-94 it was the next season when they added the white guy
    wow this the only team that had all black players for that one season which was built on power Defense
    is why they didn't get to the title these guys was defensive and Pat was the score with Starks .........I agree
    with you both great find brother Info-moetry

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Thank You All! :toast:

I find it interesting, after reading the article above, that the NBA would be the one where an all black roster would be found.

In fact, you guys have seemed to remain in the NBA, as if none of the others even come close to an all black roster?

The article said that black folk were intentionally denied access to the NBA, yet they are the ones that went the farthest?!

I don't know sports, but i'd imagine there is another team out there, an obscure fact hid deep in the archives.

Interesting how time changes things, ultimately moving from all white, to almost all black.

I wonder what prompted the change. Money?

Does the NBA make more, with black players than with white players ... ??

I can see them keeping at least one token white, even if there were better black players.

It's probably hard on their ego, to give up all the spots to black players, no matter the money.

Though that will probably be changing too ... money has a way of edging ego out ... i'd imagine.

Thanks Again Yall!

:heart:

Destee