Black Authors : Has Poetry Become The New Hip Hop And If So Is That A Good Thing?

Lets Focus My People

Poetry and hip hop indeed go hand to hand and mostly anybody can create it with an
open mindset and a vision some self will to connect the dots which call lyrics into action
yes i would say it's a good thing if poetry was the new age of Hip hop , but there is a
small difference there that divide the two , MC's and poets have somewhat in common
the notion but different flava.

It is a true fact anything that is place'd in the public view is a target for constructive criticism
liked and unliked
If you are a sensitive soul or are easily offended (Ever thought about being a moderator, just kidding!) then maybe your work is too personal for public comsumption. If your ego is larger than life or your vocabulary then maybe you should find the kind of friends that will tell you the truth even when it hurts.

Sensitivity is part of our structure as humankind and as a writer / poet because mostly we behind the pen moreso then
in front of the mic like MC's less we are a true spoken word lyrical type.
when dealing with the public you have to not allow personal and or egos to be your commander but the truth you instill
to be your guiding point not to hurt another feeling but moreso doing a job truthfully and fairly , I love the truth which
helps me get better as i am my own worse critic, it is always better to hear honest truth then a false half truth which is
misguiding your emotions of fate of feelings , leave you thinking wow i'm awesome when you nowhere near that, like any
Rapper who step to da mic trying to become legendary when they can't even strike a complete verse .

Poetry has i place and common ground as to hiphop more of a moving action of hard core banggin.

Now it's true that as long as someone comes up with a good idea there will always be someone around to hate on it.

we would always have and find haters lurking about , often from low self-esteem and or by the
act of jealousy sometime even for the facts that they didn't do it first , the inner hate can flair
from egos or simply ou of rage , never in life is an honest word / facts and with good intent an
act of hate but da will of truth and realism upon a friend / mate or outcaster.
If we allow self to grow into this self character to dislike by any means then we become a strong
hater which lead to lies / dishonesty that inflict hurt n' pain against another human soul.
it also can be displayed from what we lack or have knowledge in , so when the honest and truth
comes in play we must be able to rise and step to meet the challenges in today's society
we are often hit by the media box which will fill the air with criticism , some have learn to accept
it and deal with it collectively and some just fall apart and let go , moreso like droppin the ball
in the middle of the game .
So openly expressing oneself no matter will leave you feeling good and not becoming stressed
I look forward to these events and discussion .

I posted my thread in the Poetry section because there are so many people here that display their creative works for the public to see and appreciate and those works range in my opinion from “truly unbelievable” to “something’s only a mother could love”. Now don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with the range of works posted. In fact I can appreciate the courage it takes for someone who doesn't consider themselves a poet to chance rejection by submitting something they have created to be judged by people they don’t even know. I respect that, but, my thread was directed to those who truly believe they were anointed with this unbelievable gift (and you know who you are) that they must share with the world and nothing anyone says can convince them otherwise. Yes, you must listen to your own voice, and yes, you must believe in yourself, and yes “everyone” you know may tell you how great your works are but next time, try asking someone different what they think. Or hey, have some courage and go to a different venue than the one you go to every Wednesday night and read some of your creative works there. Maybe you’ll find out you are the Poet Supreme that you always knew you were or maybe you’ll find out that anyone (even you) can still learn how to be humble. As a single father who raised his son from the time he came home from the hospital I learned that you are never too old to learn, and that even a child can teach you something new.

Now, before I go any further, let me answer a question I’m sure some people may be wondering. Am I or do I consider myself a poet? Hmmm, let me answer this way. I view my self in the same manner as a lot of people view themselves. I am a person that is sometimes poetic, but not a poet by a standard definition. I have spoken to quite a few people here that have written poetry and they often say that they write for the same reasons that most of us do. It’s because we are moved deeply by something, or we experienced something that impacted our being, or we were inspired by something that touched our emotions, or just simply as a form of therapy. Regardless of the reason why someone took the time to write or the quality of the poems written, those people acknowledge that they write primarily for themselves first and sometimes offer what they’ve written for the consumption of others. Rarely though do those people (and that includes myself) proclaim to be endowed with this gift that “must be” shared with the world. And almost always those people feel humbled by the act itself. These people rarely feel that everything they say has some deep cultural significance. There are those that believe poets unlike others I suppose have some “higher calling” and are to be treated with reverence. A comment was once posted that (and to be fair this quote is taken in part out of context from a response not related to this thread) that “…any seasoned poet will tell you. It's just that thing that we do with words that move the world. Our lives are not perfect, but they are above critiquing.” As any celebrity knows, or any public figure will tell you, when you are in the public forum the things you do or say are always open to being critiqued. Even to agree or to disagree with someone implies that you have to some degree “critiqued” the words or position of someone else and have come to some conclusion regarding their merits.

Poets are no more or less special or entitled to any more or less consideration than any other actor, artist, musician, performer, professional, service person, mom, dad, son, daughter, or human being. Most of us believe that we are good at some things and not so good at others. Some of us know that we are even great at some things and not so great at others. There is however a very thin line between confidence and conceit. And my experience has taught me that very few people have a reason to be conceited. But for those poets that feel they do and are not interested in or concerned with criticism, can you say, Intrinsic Motivation?

(Definition: The motivation or desire to do something based on the enjoyment of the behavior itself rather than relying on or requiring external reinforcement.)

Thank you for the much appreciated comments and I look forward to seeing you there $$RICH$$

HIPHOP is defined as the study of self transformation and the pursuit of self expression. It is an awareness that helps to change subjects and objects.

HIPHOP has nine elements and continues to grow.

They are:

MC - the study of divine speech
Breakin - the study of body language, dance
Grafitti - the study of color, light and dimensions
DJ- the study and pursuit of technology
Beat Box- the study of mind, body help in the face of nothing
Street Fashion- self explanatory
Street Language - linguistics and evolution of words
Steet Knowledge- study of Universal Law
Street Entrepenuralsim - tryin to make a dollar otta fifteen cents

HIPHOP'S PRINCIPLES ARE:

Peace
Love
Unity
and
Safely Having Fun

HIPHOP is a Culture based on the above, and is recognized as such by the United Nations...

The HIPHOP Declaration of Peace was presented to the United Nations in May of 2001 ...

The Standards that a HIPHOPPA should live by are outlined in said document:

They are:

and I site my own poem here:

principle one is the nine current
manifestations on how hiphop is being done

on what arfrika bambatta laid out
as love peace unity and having fun

principle two is nothing new
it is respect for life
but how can we stop the violence
if we're still living by the knife

priciple three is show responsibility
with regard to laws and committments
in society

principle four is acknowldedgment
we realize our influence on the youth
like pac and biggie was lyrical genocide
the children need to know the truth

five is self validation
don't tell me who i am
i define myself thru hiphop
and i'm sticking to the plan

six we preserve ourselves
that's why i don't do rap
i'd rather live hiphop and by example
show others' how to act

seven hiphops not for sale
it's a conciousness that needs to grow
if u sell hiphop u sell ur soul
that means ur ignorant and u just don't know

eight no exploitation
that means don't burn ur bridges
and let the mainstream pimp and ho u
then send u back to rags from riches

nine outlines celebration times
and on may third
mc's should be writing rhymes

third week in may
we honor elders ancestors and such

the whole month of november
we celebrate the history of us

ten we build relationships
based on love trust balance and respect
if ur a giver or these things
that's exactly what u'll get

eleven we are multi cultural
get in where u fit in
we judge each other by character
and not the color of ur skin

twelve no hate
love is what we do
i gotta co sign with krs
man i love hiphop too

thirteen be diplomatic
not automatic
think before u act
show u can control urself
then step back or react

fourteen heal divisions in society
be collectively about humanity
and stop this me me me

fifteen respect nature
take care of the earth
respect the planet a gift from god
dont milk it for what its worth

sixteen respect ur elders
honor what they do
their the ones that laid the path
for everybody's crew

seventeen
share and help out when u can
charity one to the other
man i'll help u cause we fam

eighteen be free like me
instead of being freed
i am hip
because
i am the peace i'd like to c

The idea of HIPHOP was born in the 70's as an alternative to oppression within the communities struck with poverty ...

Although RAP music manifested out of the idea of HIPHOP, it is not all HIPHOP.

Rap is Rap and HIPHOP is HIPHOP...

It is in no way a new concept. It is an ancient concept.

In my own words:

HIPHOP IS THE CONCEPTUAL WOMB THAT DESIRES TO CREATE LIFE FROM LOVE.

IT IS A BIRTH RITE.

THE RIGHT TO BE FREE AND

TO EXIST. (IN PEACE WITHOUT FEAR OF VIOLENCE)

AND YES,

THE SPOKEN WORD (POETRY) IS AN ELEMENT OF HIPHOP

IF THE WORDS ARE URS ... IT IS A FORM OF AN MC MEANING U STUDY THE ART OF DIVINE SPEECH ....

IT IS ANCIENT BECAUSE OUR ANCESTORS PRACTICED THIS ART FORM, AND HAD KNOWLEDGE OF GOD AND WERE MINDFUL OF WHAT THEY CREATED WITH REGARD TO SPEECH.

AND NO, NOT EVERYONE IS SERIOUS ABOUT IT AS A WAY OF LIFE

TO SOME IT IS JUST A WAY TO MAKE MONEY NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY OR DO TO GET IT WITH NO REGARD FOR HOW IT EFFECTS THEIR VERY OWN COMMUNITY OR CULTURE

for a moment:

Today is May 3rd.. Rap music day....

let us look at HIPHOP vs. RAP MUSIC

Today is a day for an mc to write ... and I will write....

Anyone claiming to be HIPHOP should write about their personal experiences...

In the song Self Construction..

I think it's Nelly that say... "like we ain't learn nothing from the Tupac error from the B.I terror... get ur hand out ur pocket blackman... it's time to get out get something.. get a plan"

so what did we learn from Tupac and Biggie...?

Were they living HIPHOP or doing RAP?

As far as Biggie... if u watch videos of his mom... she was a school teacher.. she states that they never lived in a "one room shack" and that "there was always food on the table" ....

if ur not representing ur personal experience then u are rapping about someone else's life...

He was ready to die..... for the money, for the females and his words manifested....

that IMHO is tragic .... and so many of our youth want to emulate that...

did he have talent... no doubt!!!! can't take that away from him....

but we should learn from that and set a better example for the youth..

AND PAC:

Now he rap'd about his own experience.... but he had a choice to uplift or be stuck ....

he also manifested his words, and found that when he went to jail what friends did he truly have...

he signed a hand written contract.... while he was in jail in order to be bailed out....

got jam'd up.... and he also lost his life...

the point is it is so important what we use our voices to uplift...

may they both rest in peace!

How many have to die before we learn to truly love ourselves and use our voice to uplift ourselves, our culture, and our communities...

PEACE

Let me say for the record that my thread was not a critique of Hip Hop, or an assessment of the meaning of Hip Hop. It was not a commentary on the culture of Hip Hop or a statement on the relevance of Hip Hop and it’s commonality with Poetry. Let me say this again, my thread was not about Hip Hop. The only relation of Hip Hop to Poetry intended was meant as an example of how two forms of expression can be similarly under-appreciated for the skill required to be good at it, or how people can convince themselves that they are good or even great at something without truly having paid their dues. That was it. The rest of the thread was related to how it is easy to be brave when there is no threat. That surrounding ones self with a friendly or empathetic environment rarely pushes a person to explore new depths of the familiar, or force them to re-examine and if necessary re-invent themselves to maintain relevance. In otherwrods, people rarely grow if they never step outside of their comfort zone. Although their is a place specifically set aside for "criticism" of work, how many poets actually go their to listen and to learn?

Now for those that live, sleep, eat and breathe Hip Hop, I’m glad you have found an outlet to channel your obsession but my thread was not meant to be relative to you. Your world revolves around the thing you love and sometimes it seems that you hold it against us that we don't feel the same way. No disrespect intended but like the old song says… “I bet you think this song is about you”, well it’s not.

Thank you for taking the time to comment Miss Lady. I hope you will visit the chat sessions when they start and add your much needed perspective to the discussions.

Although, hip hop and poetry are siblings, they are so very different.I love hip hop to the max; however nothing irritates me more than when I am at a poetry spot, where the candles are lit, and the lights are dim, the jazz is playing softly in the background, just when..... someone takes the mic and commence to making their hip hop debut exhibiting their latest review of lyrical works. It's fine to mix it in a forum, where I can read it and separate it; however it's very hard to switch moods so fast when the artist is performing hip hop, at a poetry spot.

I would also like to add that poetry could never be the new hip hop, since they are so different and require their own venues, both will be loved and respected on their own levels. IJS(I'm just saying)

Lataisha, although your comments weren't directed to me I still hope you will also visit and share you insights, your passions and your energy with us.

Yes Sis, Bless! just felt the need to share.
It seems like your forum will be a very interesting one, I look forward to it.
Bless,One!

Hotep My Dear Sister Lataisha Nicole:

I look forward to seeing you there... UNITY... that's what it's all about.

one love

I posted my thread in the Poetry section because there are so many people here that display their creative works for the public to see and appreciate and those works range in my opinion from “truly unbelievable” to “something’s only a mother could love”. Now don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with the range of works posted. In fact I can appreciate the courage it takes for someone who doesn't consider themselves a poet to chance rejection by submitting something they have created to be judged by people they don’t even know. I respect that, but, my thread was directed to those who truly believe they were anointed with this unbelievable gift (and you know who you are) that they must share with the world and nothing anyone says can convince them otherwise. Yes, you must listen to your own voice, and yes, you must believe in yourself, and yes “everyone” you know may tell you how great your works are but next time, try asking someone different what they think. Or hey, have some courage and go to a different venue than the one you go to every Wednesday night and read some of your creative works there. Maybe you’ll find out you are the Poet Supreme that you always knew you were or maybe you’ll find out that anyone (even you) can still learn how to be humble. As a single father who raised his son from the time he came home from the hospital I learned that you are never too old to learn, and that even a child can teach you something new.

Now, before I go any further, let me answer a question I’m sure some people may be wondering. Am I or do I consider myself a poet? Hmmm, let me answer this way. I view my self in the same manner as a lot of people view themselves. I am a person that is sometimes poetic, but not a poet by a standard definition. I have spoken to quite a few people here that have written poetry and they often say that they write for the same reasons that most of us do. It’s because we are moved deeply by something, or we experienced something that impacted our being, or we were inspired by something that touched our emotions, or just simply as a form of therapy. Regardless of the reason why someone took the time to write or the quality of the poems written, those people acknowledge that they write primarily for themselves first and sometimes offer what they’ve written for the consumption of others. Rarely though do those people (and that includes myself) proclaim to be endowed with this gift that “must be” shared with the world. And almost always those people feel humbled by the act itself. These people rarely feel that everything they say has some deep cultural significance. There are those that believe poets unlike others I suppose have some “higher calling” and are to be treated with reverence. A comment was once posted that (and to be fair this quote is taken in part out of context from a response not related to this thread) that “…any seasoned poet will tell you. It's just that thing that we do with words that move the world. Our lives are not perfect, but they are above critiquing.” As any celebrity knows, or any public figure will tell you, when you are in the public forum the things you do or say are always open to being critiqued. Even to agree or to disagree with someone implies that you have to some degree “critiqued” the words or position of someone else and have come to some conclusion regarding their merits.

Poets are no more or less special or entitled to any more or less consideration than any other actor, artist, musician, performer, professional, service person, mom, dad, son, daughter, or human being. Most of us believe that we are good at some things and not so good at others. Some of us know that we are even great at some things and not so great at others. There is however a very thin line between confidence and conceit. And my experience has taught me that very few people have a reason to be conceited. But for those poets that feel they do and are not interested in or concerned with criticism, can you say, Intrinsic Motivation?

(Definition: The motivation or desire to do something based on the enjoyment of the behavior itself rather than relying on or requiring external reinforcement.)

Thank you for the much appreciated comments and I look forward to seeing you there $$RICH$$

Let me say for the record that my thread was not a critique of Hip Hop, or an assessment of the meaning of Hip Hop. It was not a commentary on the culture of Hip Hop or a statement on the relevance of Hip Hop and it’s commonality with Poetry. Let me say this again, my thread was not about Hip Hop. The only relation of Hip Hop to Poetry intended was meant as an example of how two forms of expression can be similarly under-appreciated for the skill required to be good at it, or how people can convince themselves that they are good or even great at something without truly having paid their dues. That was it. The rest of the thread was related to how it is easy to be brave when there is no threat. That surrounding ones self with a friendly or empathetic environment rarely pushes a person to explore new depths of the familiar, or force them to re-examine and if necessary re-invent themselves to maintain relevance. In otherwrods, people rarely grow if they never step outside of their comfort zone. Although their is a place specifically set aside for "criticism" of work, how many poets actually go their to listen and to learn?

Now for those that live, sleep, eat and breathe Hip Hop, I’m glad you have found an outlet to channel your obsession but my thread was not meant to be relative to you. Your world revolves around the thing you love and sometimes it seems that you hold it against us that we don't feel the same way. No disrespect intended but like the old song says… “I bet you think this song is about you”, well it’s not.

Thank you for taking the time to comment Miss Lady. I hope you will visit the chat sessions when they start and add your much needed perspective to the discussions.

Lataisha, although your comments weren't directed to me I still hope you will also visit and share you insights, your passions and your energy with us.

Hotep Brother:

In order to critique something IMHO one should fully understand what you are critiqueing...

I AM HIPHOP.. so if you mention it Imma come to the party...

really and truly an "artist", no matter what their particular art is really is in the eye of the beholder...

HIPHOP affords each the freedom to express themselves regardless of who likes what they write or not...

It is the principle of "self validation" ...

I AM

now u've criticized some people here but you have not posted any of your work... that's not really very fair of you...

I am familiar with that song.... and the beginning is ... "ur so vein.. u proly think this song is about you.."

If a wood artist makes a chair... it is their art

even a hunger artist is an artist... in his or her own eyes...

an obsession I doubt....

a set of principles to guide my life that I am proud of because it makes me a better person no doubt...

I'm from a generation where this is all we had....

even when our parents wanted no part of it....

so if u are wiser in age....

let us not criticize each other but rather bridge the gap of understanding because that is what I am willing to do peacefully...

much love honor peace and respect as my elder.

one love

Sister Miss Lady

and as I respect the purpose of ur thread I will refrain from further comment.

It has been a pleasure.

likewise brother and yes an honest and good clean health critic is always welcome
this why we have created a place for such to happen in where members can get
an honest live and true critic of there work from which we may feel is best given

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back