Black Authors : Has Poetry Become The New Hip Hop And If So Is That A Good Thing?

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by RealMenWearBlak, May 3, 2009.

1. RealMenWearBlak

RealMenWearBlak Member MEMBER

Providing and surviving like all brothers and sist
    Ratings:
    +1
    Poetry can be as deceptive as Hip Hop when it comes to who can do it. Unfortunately anyone can "pen a scribe" or "drop a verse" but not everyone can do it well. On the outside it looks easy. Almost anyone can pretend to hold a mic and become (in their own mind) the next Hip Hop legend, just as many people feel that because they can (sometimes) rhyme 2 words in a rambling paragraph they are the next metaphorical genius. (Obviously I’m not talking about the poetry on Destee since every piece here is a masterpiece, or at least yours is right?)

For the most part poetry is an expression of someone’s feelings, their experiences, their observations or even their fantasies and as such are all “subjective” to the listener. A night of passion with a stranger may be one person’s fantasy but another person’s reason to go to the clinic. Or one person’s “abeyance of the rules” may be another person’s “censorship”.

Although it is always your choice to share with the world your wisdom, your insights, your experiences or your inspirations, some may or may not agree with your flow, your style or your interpretations. So when you choose to express yourself in an open public forum you should always be prepared for the possibility of constructive or "not so" constructive criticism. Exposing ones self to public scrutiny “is not” for the faint of heart. To perform on stage in front of thousands of people or to sit on a stool in front of a small gathering of people to share a moment of collective coconsciousness requires the ability for a person to become something greater than themselves.

If you are a sensitive soul or are easily offended (Ever thought about being a moderator, just kidding!) then maybe your work is too personal for public comsumption. If your ego is larger than life or your vocabulary then maybe you should find the kind of friends that will tell you the truth even when it hurts. Maybe you already have those kind of friends and family but are "you" the kind of person that solicits honest opinions of others? I am perfect by no means so I try and surround myself with people that care enough about me to tell me the truth about myself, even when it would be easier to lie. (Don't let me walk out he door with black dress shoes and white socks ok?)

Now it's true that as long as someone comes up with a good idea there will always be someone around to hate on it. Maybe there will always be “haters” in the world but that doesn’t mean someone sharing an honest opinion with you is hating. I believe that strength comes from how we deal with adversity, integrity comes from the strength of our character and perseverance comes from our ability to survive the challenges we face everyday.

The reason why I created this thread is because I will soon be hosting a series of chat sessions where everyone is encouraged to talk about all things serious and not so serious, to debut their latest and greatest creative works, or just come along for the ride. Let me be clear, this is not a "class". This is an open invitation for you to come and express yourself even if we disagree. Just grown folks keepin’ it real!

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Poetry and hip hop indeed go hand to hand and mostly anybody can create it with an
    open mindset and a vision some self will to connect the dots which call lyrics into action
    yes i would say it's a good thing if poetry was the new age of Hip hop , but there is a
    small difference there that divide the two , MC's and poets have somewhat in common
    the notion but different flava.

It is a true fact anything that is place'd in the public view is a target for constructive criticism
    liked and unliked
    If you are a sensitive soul or are easily offended (Ever thought about being a moderator, just kidding!) then maybe your work is too personal for public comsumption. If your ego is larger than life or your vocabulary then maybe you should find the kind of friends that will tell you the truth even when it hurts.

Sensitivity is part of our structure as humankind and as a writer / poet because mostly we behind the pen moreso then
    in front of the mic like MC's less we are a true spoken word lyrical type.
    when dealing with the public you have to not allow personal and or egos to be your commander but the truth you instill
    to be your guiding point not to hurt another feeling but moreso doing a job truthfully and fairly , I love the truth which
    helps me get better as i am my own worse critic, it is always better to hear honest truth then a false half truth which is
    misguiding your emotions of fate of feelings , leave you thinking wow i'm awesome when you nowhere near that, like any
    Rapper who step to da mic trying to become legendary when they can't even strike a complete verse .

Poetry has i place and common ground as to hiphop more of a moving action of hard core banggin.

Now it's true that as long as someone comes up with a good idea there will always be someone around to hate on it.

we would always have and find haters lurking about , often from low self-esteem and or by the
    act of jealousy sometime even for the facts that they didn't do it first , the inner hate can flair
    from egos or simply ou of rage , never in life is an honest word / facts and with good intent an
    act of hate but da will of truth and realism upon a friend / mate or outcaster.
    If we allow self to grow into this self character to dislike by any means then we become a strong
    hater which lead to lies / dishonesty that inflict hurt n' pain against another human soul.
    it also can be displayed from what we lack or have knowledge in , so when the honest and truth
    comes in play we must be able to rise and step to meet the challenges in today's society
    we are often hit by the media box which will fill the air with criticism , some have learn to accept
    it and deal with it collectively and some just fall apart and let go , moreso like droppin the ball
    in the middle of the game .
    So openly expressing oneself no matter will leave you feeling good and not becoming stressed
    I look forward to these events and discussion .

3. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261

HIPHOP is defined as the study of self transformation and the pursuit of self expression. It is an awareness that helps to change subjects and objects.

HIPHOP has nine elements and continues to grow.

They are:

MC - the study of divine speech
    Breakin - the study of body language, dance
    Grafitti - the study of color, light and dimensions
    DJ- the study and pursuit of technology
    Beat Box- the study of mind, body help in the face of nothing
    Street Fashion- self explanatory
    Street Language - linguistics and evolution of words
    Steet Knowledge- study of Universal Law
    Street Entrepenuralsim - tryin to make a dollar otta fifteen cents

HIPHOP'S PRINCIPLES ARE:

Peace
    Love
    Unity
    and
    Safely Having Fun

HIPHOP is a Culture based on the above, and is recognized as such by the United Nations...

The HIPHOP Declaration of Peace was presented to the United Nations in May of 2001 ...

The Standards that a HIPHOPPA should live by are outlined in said document:

They are:

and I site my own poem here:

principle one is the nine current
    manifestations on how hiphop is being done

on what arfrika bambatta laid out
    as love peace unity and having fun

principle two is nothing new
    it is respect for life
    but how can we stop the violence
    if we're still living by the knife

priciple three is show responsibility
    with regard to laws and committments
    in society

principle four is acknowldedgment
    we realize our influence on the youth
    like pac and biggie was lyrical genocide
    the children need to know the truth

five is self validation
    don't tell me who i am
    i define myself thru hiphop
    and i'm sticking to the plan

six we preserve ourselves
    that's why i don't do rap
    i'd rather live hiphop and by example
    show others' how to act

seven hiphops not for sale
    it's a conciousness that needs to grow
    if u sell hiphop u sell ur soul
    that means ur ignorant and u just don't know

eight no exploitation
    that means don't burn ur bridges
    and let the mainstream pimp and ho u
    then send u back to rags from riches

nine outlines celebration times
    and on may third
    mc's should be writing rhymes

third week in may
    we honor elders ancestors and such

the whole month of november
    we celebrate the history of us

ten we build relationships
    based on love trust balance and respect
    if ur a giver or these things
    that's exactly what u'll get

eleven we are multi cultural
    get in where u fit in
    we judge each other by character
    and not the color of ur skin

twelve no hate
    love is what we do
    i gotta co sign with krs
    man i love hiphop too

thirteen be diplomatic
    not automatic
    think before u act
    show u can control urself
    then step back or react

fourteen heal divisions in society
    be collectively about humanity
    and stop this me me me

fifteen respect nature
    take care of the earth
    respect the planet a gift from god
    dont milk it for what its worth

sixteen respect ur elders
    honor what they do
    their the ones that laid the path
    for everybody's crew

seventeen
    share and help out when u can
    charity one to the other
    man i'll help u cause we fam

eighteen be free like me
    instead of being freed
    i am hip
    because
    i am the peace i'd like to c

The idea of HIPHOP was born in the 70's as an alternative to oppression within the communities struck with poverty ...

Although RAP music manifested out of the idea of HIPHOP, it is not all HIPHOP.

Rap is Rap and HIPHOP is HIPHOP...

It is in no way a new concept. It is an ancient concept.

In my own words:

HIPHOP IS THE CONCEPTUAL WOMB THAT DESIRES TO CREATE LIFE FROM LOVE.

IT IS A BIRTH RITE.

THE RIGHT TO BE FREE AND

TO EXIST. (IN PEACE WITHOUT FEAR OF VIOLENCE)

AND YES,

THE SPOKEN WORD (POETRY) IS AN ELEMENT OF HIPHOP

IF THE WORDS ARE URS ... IT IS A FORM OF AN MC MEANING U STUDY THE ART OF DIVINE SPEECH ....

IT IS ANCIENT BECAUSE OUR ANCESTORS PRACTICED THIS ART FORM, AND HAD KNOWLEDGE OF GOD AND WERE MINDFUL OF WHAT THEY CREATED WITH REGARD TO SPEECH.

AND NO, NOT EVERYONE IS SERIOUS ABOUT IT AS A WAY OF LIFE

TO SOME IT IS JUST A WAY TO MAKE MONEY NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY OR DO TO GET IT WITH NO REGARD FOR HOW IT EFFECTS THEIR VERY OWN COMMUNITY OR CULTURE

4. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    and if you will allow me to be controversial

for a moment:

Today is May 3rd.. Rap music day....

let us look at HIPHOP vs. RAP MUSIC

Today is a day for an mc to write ... and I will write....

Anyone claiming to be HIPHOP should write about their personal experiences...

In the song Self Construction..

I think it's Nelly that say... "like we ain't learn nothing from the Tupac error from the B.I terror... get ur hand out ur pocket blackman... it's time to get out get something.. get a plan"

so what did we learn from Tupac and Biggie...?

Were they living HIPHOP or doing RAP?

As far as Biggie... if u watch videos of his mom... she was a school teacher.. she states that they never lived in a "one room shack" and that "there was always food on the table" ....

if ur not representing ur personal experience then u are rapping about someone else's life...

He was ready to die..... for the money, for the females and his words manifested....

that IMHO is tragic .... and so many of our youth want to emulate that...

did he have talent... no doubt!!!! can't take that away from him....

but we should learn from that and set a better example for the youth..

AND PAC:

Now he rap'd about his own experience.... but he had a choice to uplift or be stuck ....

he also manifested his words, and found that when he went to jail what friends did he truly have...

he signed a hand written contract.... while he was in jail in order to be bailed out....

got jam'd up.... and he also lost his life...

the point is it is so important what we use our voices to uplift...

may they both rest in peace!

How many have to die before we learn to truly love ourselves and use our voice to uplift ourselves, our culture, and our communities...

PEACE

5. Lataisha Nicole

Lataisha Nicole Well-Known Member MEMBER

Sickle Cell Foundation/ making the world a better
    Ratings:
    +20
    Although, hip hop and poetry are siblings, they are so very different.I love hip hop to the max; however nothing irritates me more than when I am at a poetry spot, where the candles are lit, and the lights are dim, the jazz is playing softly in the background, just when..... someone takes the mic and commence to making their hip hop debut exhibiting their latest review of lyrical works. It's fine to mix it in a forum, where I can read it and separate it; however it's very hard to switch moods so fast when the artist is performing hip hop, at a poetry spot.

6. Lataisha Nicole

Ratings:
    +20
    I would also like to add that poetry could never be the new hip hop, since they are so different and require their own venues, both will be loved and respected on their own levels. IJS(I'm just saying)

7. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261

Hi Sister Latisha Nicole:

rappers shouldn't be rapping at a poetry, spoken word event.. I agree with you 100% ....

that is not HIPHOP...

HIPHOP is just an idea.... a creative force....

a true hiphoppa should be able to do poetry at a poetry event..

rap at a rap event ...

something political at a political event....

the main theme for HIPHOP.. is HIPHOP is something you live and rap is something you do...

I don't blame you for being aggravated because so many rappers don't understand this....

there is a time and place for everything and the atmosphere you describe should be respected and not a place for someone looking for their big break into the rap industry...

much love honor and respect....

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178

Yes sis, I agree as i said above they have a shared relationship but pose
    there own depth style and meanings which make it different as night & day
    hiphop is a fast up tempo beat while poetry is a smooth soft melody.

9. Lataisha Nicole

Ratings:
    +20
    So glad you're feeling me bro!

Bless up!

10. Lataisha Nicole

Ratings:
    +20
    Yes Sis, Bless! just felt the need to share.
    It seems like your forum will be a very interesting one, I look forward to it.
    Bless,One!