Black Entertainment : HAS ESSENCE LOST ITS BLACKNESS?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Kemetstry, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    Dr. Boyce: Let’s Face it, Essence Magazine Has Lost it’s “Essence”

March 9, 2013 | Filed under: News | Posted by: bowatkin
    [​IMG]
    by Dr. Boyce Watkins
    The revelations by former Essence Magazine editor Constance White both intrigued and concerned me. Not to say that I was surprised, but I admittedly long for the days when my friend Susan Taylor stood at the helm of the magazine, and Essence represented something black, extraordinary and authentic. There was a time when we fully understood that the power of media wasn’t just for making money, it was also for shaping minds. In fact, Adolph Hitler once said that if you want to control a group of people, all you have to do is control what they read, watch and hear.
    For much of my life, when I thought about Essence Magazine, I thought about black women. Now, when I think about Essence, I think about what white people want black women to become. The mind can be under occupation in the same way that one colonizes a foreign country, and in the space of African American media, it’s difficult to argue that we’re not a conquered and imperialized group of people.
    The pressure to assimilate is overwhelming when I look at how most of the radio stations our kids listen to are owned by big corporations like Clear Channel, who don’t care that commercialized hip-hop music is teaching young boys how to grow up and become murderers and r*pists. Television Networks like BET seem to believe that it should once again be illegal for black people to learn how to read. Even TV One, the “good version” of BET (a network that most of us respect), is 49% owned by NBC Universal, implying that they remain officially black-owned by a mere technicality.
    Essence is one of the latest victims of the perpetual paper chase that turns us into the kinds of economic addicts that are produced by a racially-oppressive capitalist society. As black kids, we grow up believing that our goal in life is to sell our soul to the highest bidder, and that it’s OK to be an asset on someone else’s plantation, as long as our overseers allow us to live in the big house. This opens the door to a life of fancy cars, big houses and expensive meals at the finest restaurants, where we charge it to the game without realizing that there is a massive debt to be repaid.
    Then, one day, you look in the mirror and the person you see no longer has a soul. Like the hooker on the corner who gave her baby away for another vile of crack cocaine, you realize that your worth in this world has been reduced to the size of your paycheck (which can be taken away as soon as they are finished with you). The community you love languishes and dies, while you sit in the warmth of your corporate office with a boss telling you that the plight of “those people” has nothing to do with you.
    I understand this well, because I know capitalism. I’ve been teaching Finance at the college level for the last 20 years, and one thing I know for sure is that the powerful temptation of money can lead us to become something that we’re not, and it can literally reshape the structure of our psycho-sociological DNA, turning a righteous mission into an abandoned one. I believe this is what happened to Essence magazine, and quite frankly, it disgusts me.

2. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    I saw the article and I felt saddened that this magazine has been taken over by folks whose interest does not reflect those of black folks.

1. Essence Hires White Fashion Director, Leaves Loyal Readers ...
      1. Essence editor-in-chief is exiting - NYPOST.com

It seems whenever blacks have something going good, whites dangle money like a carrot before them...it is very sad..we as a people must have more pride.

"Now, when I think about Essence, I think about what white people want black women to become. The mind can be under occupation in the same way that one colonizes a foreign country, and in the space of African American media, it’s difficult to argue that we’re not a conquered and imperialized group of people."

Enough said.:(

Thanks for posting.

3. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

You're saying she dont get it?

4. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    Didn't it lose its Blackness once the cracka bought it, the same go for Apollo theater and BET.

5. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I agree, why can't we say that we are going to keep something for ourselves? I remember when BET was sold, and they interviewed Bob Johnson. He got mad when he was pressed on why he sold it to whites instead of blacks. He said that when you own something, you can sell it to who ever you want to (you could tell he was mad). He also said many times that nothing was not going to change...yeah right:rolleyes:

Remember when they had the uncut hip hop videos on? Whity didn't then, and don't care now how we are viewed ion the world, nor do they care how we disrespect each other.

Peace!

6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

Blacks no longer benefit from the multi billion dollar hair care business. Ida B Wells, Johnson Products all sold to whites. How come no one stepped up? We dont want to build, own or run empires like Fords, Firestone, etc. We dont raise our children to do or think that way. We just want the cash.

7. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    I remember when Essence was sold out and white washed, but I didn't know BET was also sold out?

i stopped watching and reading those sources for Black self awareness because I saw how White washed they became, but how sad.

8. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    I rmember too, when a particular clothing line was also sold out, I think it was FUBU, you know, 'For Us By Us'. I was so happy when I saw this clothing line, and always was ready to buy and support the owners, but then I heard it sold out to, I thing, some Japanese company or something...then I stopped buying the clothes.

I kind of remember that the prices were higher under the Black owners at first, but soon the prices dropped because I thought it was because so many Black people were buying them, and then I saw a lot of Hispanic support too, buying these clothes...but then, here came the White money...and it all became a memory.

9. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    its called marketing ''business''. it was bound to happen.

10. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

Thus the cycle pof poverty continues