Black People : Has Black Culture Become A Fantasy Trip?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by chuck, Jul 18, 2014.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    And how shall we face up to the reality checks/wake up calls??

2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Hmmmm can you be more specific? I know there are things we have to face, and fix, but there are many of us that are helping in our own way. It's going to take time, and the more people we have helping, hopefully the faster this process will go.

Peace!

3. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    It just seems and sounds like folks tend to make it personal, choose to be subjective, the latest fad or trend matters, no collective identity, no commitment to do anything about our present issues/problems, etc. Just the opposite of what past generations were about, during the Civil Rights and Black Power eras....

FYI

4. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    On these points, I totally agree. It seems that we are subconsciously following Yt. Like like this skin lighten fad...

Peace!

5. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    apart from music and maybe usin the odd word or two im not even sure what black culture is - i mean theres some foods too that i guess are specific - but pretty much everything else yep we just follow Yt culture - even if people are active and arguing and doing things to sort out problems seems were still livin in a Yt culture - i mean i get up eat fruit loops, pull on jeans and a t shirt - head out to the mall etc etc etc - its all the same culture seems whether we was here or not - id sure like to know from others what they think black culture is - theres got to more to it aint there?

6. CheeDee

CheeDee Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Its not just black people, many people have been conditioned to accept less privacy, weaker rights and more oversight it seems we Americans are paralyzed to act, to protest. People are fearful to challenge authority because they see that those who do get punished harshly and forgotten. I think black people, at this point are not ready to sacrifice like our past generations did. So many black men are in jail, police arrest us and stop us for any reason or no reason, label us and put so many of us under its criminal judicial thumb and stereotyped in the news, TV shows like cops, many of us are socially disoriented. We could galvanize but we don't, its within our resources to do so, but we don't.

7. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    You've said it nicely in your post. Who is black, or what is black is something that you can't quantify because all of our "black" experiences is not the same. This is why I get ticked when people say Obama ain't black. And they go on to justify their comment by using examples like "he did grow up in the hood", or his schooling, etc. Like that having a bad life is the criteria for being black.

I was just that ignorant long ago when I thought that to be black you had to eat beans, cornbread, pig feet,etc..yeah...very ignorant on my part.

Peace!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  8. Deacs

Deacs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +567
    [​IMG]

Life requires movement and kinetic energy... all the wishing, waiting, hoping, and praying is not going to solve the problems.

9. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    I don't pretend to be the be all and end all to this thread, but there was and is a key to what it used to reflect, i. e., individual and collective resistance, be it during the eras or slavery and segregation, aka reflected via more recent eras via the Urban Rebellions and/or groups like the Oakland (CA) Panthers, whereas the our once (over)hyped 'I too am an American'/Civil Rights agendas also has to be contrasted with any number of reality checks/wake up calls, e. g., since if you aren't as educated/affluent/etc. as some whites, what is natural and normally associated with white imagery etc. is oftentimes challenged or disputed, when it comes to me and mine/you or yours....

Neither one advocates a passive mimicking of the white preppies or regressing to the level of some homeboys from some so called 'hood:

There got to be something better than both!

FYI

10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Why so many make him an 'expert' on black people don't know the Cosby I have, since back in my high school days...

I. e., judged fairly and honesty, his media stuff either hypes accepting being poor and/or a petty pseudo middle class agenda, though who with active brain cells ever consider THE COSBY KIDS or his black sitcom true life, to begin with?

Let's do be for real about it all!

Please!!

11. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    see now this is something i herd from some folk before - buuuuut..... is / was our culture really only ever defined by resistance to white oppression?????? aint that letting the enemy dictate who we are.... i got no real answers but there has to be something to our culture besides opposition to white rule - aint there???? maybe it lies in becoming more african??? - ive honestly thought of changing my name before to something more african.... Femi sounds kinda nice.... anyway - driftin off track there...... or if not that how do we build a culture that stands in its own right - that aint just defined by struggle - ok - might sound far fetched..... but..... any ever wonder what were gonna do if we win the struggle??? then this is fantasy maybe..... what would our culture become if we all woke up tomorrow and everyone else was gone - if we were the only folks left? ok - that was one of my right it down as im still thinkin rambles but do you get what i mean???