Black People : Has anyone lived in another country before?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by kente417mojo, Jul 19, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I have always wanted to go to another country to visit and possibly relocate to. I haven't thus far but this year I probably will (visit that is). I was wondering if anyone here has been to a country and stayed long enough to really experience the way of life there? Or maybe there are some here that came from another country. What countries do you recommend visiting or what countries would you consider living in if you had the opportunity to do so?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I have never lived outside the country, but my wife was born & raised in Spain. I have visited the country, and was impressed by the lifestyle. Cost of living in Spain is much cheaper than the US in terms of rent/mortgage, cars, groceries, etc. As a result people live better with less money. In addition public colleges and health care in Spain is free. The biggest down side to Spain is that there are few Blacks who live in the country. For some this wouldn't be an issue, but for me, I have no intention of being a fly in buttermilk.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i have lived in Amsterdam and in Paris.
    they are both wonderful cities each different from the other.
    however, that was a long time ago and I'm sure things are changed now.

I'd go take a look if i were you.

4. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks panafrica and james, I appreciate the replies. Amsterdam huh? All those cafe's might get me in trouble man. Paris sounds cool and I always wanted to check it out. Panafrica, I hear you on that fly in buttermilk thing. I never want to live in a place where there is only a handful of black people either. It's not an intimidation thing but I just like to see black folks and interact with our people because that what we should be doing anyways. I had a friend that went to Spain a couple of month's ago and she said she loved it. I would like to live in a place where cost of living is low and you can actually live life...you know. Spain does sound cool except for the small amount of black people.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    you have to go and see for yourself.....
    don't forget Rome :shades:

6. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Do they have a small amount of black people? What is the population like?

7. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have stayed in the Carribbean and in Canada before and things are socially better than the states, the only problem is the economic side of the ball game. If you do not have a higher education it will be hard to make a nice stable income abroad; moreover, alot of forigen countries also play the ButtHole when it comes to Hiring American citizen's. For example, in Barbados, (legally) you are not supposed to be offered a job until every qualified Bajan applicant has been intreviewed, other countries have simliar things, but for the most part you still should be able to work without too much of a problem.

Other than that staying abroad was pretty trill, I am planning to move back to the Carribbean, Africa or Europe when I get my cheese right.

Good Thread Kente, you know how to spark em!

In the places I stayed there were large amounts of black people and the population sizes were 100,000 and up (Toronto, Ontario and Bridgetown, Barbados)

8. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I HAVE NEVA BEEN OUT DA STATES. BUT THERE R MAN PLACES ID LIKE 2 C. AFRIKA, CARRIBEAN, ASIA S. AMERICA, EUROPE, AUSTRALIA, EVERY WHERE. MABY NOT ANTARTICA. BUT AS FAR AS LIVING IN ANOTHER COUNTRY, I DONT KNOW IF I COULD, BECAUSE OF MY LOVE FOR AMERICAN MUSIC, STYLE, ECT.

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Therious if you go to Europe, you'd have little trouble finding American music & clothes. You would probably pay a little more money, but you'd have it. I know that some African countries & the Carribean has many American products too. Probably the biggest suprise I had when I visited Spain (my 1st experience outside the US), was that they had virtually everything the US had. There are few comforts a US citizen would give up by living there.

10. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks MANASIAC....I've always been thinking about this so I thought I'd run it by you guys...since people on this site have more sense than many people I know. I knew I'd get some good views from you guys.

Therious....maybe Brazil huh? I wonder how the economy is there. I heard from a guy that went to Brazil, that down there most people are rich or dirt poor. That's one place I am definately going to research and look into visiting. Not Antarctica. It's too cold. Nipples will be hard 24/7. One of the biggest problems is that I know very few people in another country...or that lived in another country. So I can't just visit someone. I have to pick places and visit and see if it's for me...and that can cost. I have to give it a shot though. I won't be able to forgive myself if I stay in USA without experiencing another country. There has to be more for us than the US.

Has anyone been to anywhere in Central America? I heard Belize was cool from my ex (she lived in Belize). Maybe somewhere around the might be nice...like Costa Rica.