Black People : Has Anyone Ever Heard Of This

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kamau47, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves/

I personally am not willing to go out and buy this book, but this article has arose my curiosity (I am always looking for something new to learn). It was brought up over on Google+. And since I had never heard of Irish slaves, it caught my attention.
    If anyone has any knowledge of this, and could point me to credible information sites on the Web, I'd be most appreciative.

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I've remembered hearing a little about Irish slavery but not of this book.

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Yes, I have.

If you're willing to do your own research, your local library would be a source for the history of Bermuda and other islands of the West Indies.

Particularly, the history of England and Ireland's (and Scotland's) religious (Catholic -v- Protestant) and political conflicts ("rightful" heirs to the Throne).

During the 16 and 1700s, England was, largely, the most powerful European country. So, yes, indentured servants and slavery of its white poor, prisoners of war, and criminals were disposed by emigrating them to other British holdings: Australia, the West Indies, North America, etc..

Sister dunwiddat is a native of Bermuda. Perhaps she could share some history of the Irish there mixing with the indigenous Peoples and the African slaves and the present-day descendants of them.

For example, Rihanna is a descendant of the Black and Irish mingling in Bermuda.

And, today, other Blacks in Caribbean islands are descendants of Irish servants and slaves.

4. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
  5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Barbadosed

Africans and Irish in Barbados
    During the 1600's, African slaves and Irish natives shared a common fate on the island of Barbados. Slaves first arrived on the island in the 1620's with the first white settlers and continued to be brought there as the need for labor created a new market for the international slave trade. By 1645, the black population on the island was 5680, and by 1667, there were over 40,000 slaves on the island. In the early years of the colony's growth, Barbados also became a destination for military prisoners and Irish natives. Oliver Cromwell "barbadosed" Irish who refused to clear off their land and allowed other Irish to be kidnaped from the streets of Ireland and transported to Barbados. Those who were barbadosed were sold as slaves or indentured servants, to British planters. They lived in slave conditions and had no control over the number of years they had to serve. The number of Barbadosed Irish in not known and estimates very widely, from a high of 60,000 to a low of 12,000.

Both groups suffered in harsh conditions and joined together to revolt against British settlers.

The colony had its own set of problems, including raids by Spanish and French pirates, and turbulent weather that decimated crops and precipitated African and Irish slave revolts. Slave revolts often coincided with raids or uncontrollable weather when slave owners were distracted and sent slaves to other settlers or towns for help. The ability to move about gave slaves an opportunity to pass on information to other rebels. The rebellions increased the fear of white slave owners and added to the image of Irish natives as wild savages.

The enslavement of Africans in Barbados continued until 1834 when slaves were emancipated, and then apprenticed for a period of four years. By then the kidnaped Irish had disappeared into history and the census of the 1880's did not identify any Barbadians as Irish. What did remain was a small population of poor whites, often called 'redlegs', who may be the descendants of the Barbadosed Irish.

http://www.yale.edu/glc/tangledroots/Barbadosed.htm

For further reading:

Akenson,D. If the Irish Ran the World. Montserrat 1630 -1730. The McGill-Queens University Press. 1997.
    Handler, J. "Unshackled Spaces: Fugitives from Slavery and Maroon Communities in America." Yale University: The Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance and Abolition,12/6-7/ 2002. Linebaugh, P. and Rediker, M. The Many Headed Hydra. Beacon Press.2000.
    McCafferty, K. Testimony of an Irish Slave Girl. Viking Press. 2002.
    O'Callaghan, S. To Hell or Barbados. Brandon Books Pub. Ltd., 2001
    Vaughan,A. Roots of American Racism. Oxford University Press. 1995.

6. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Thanks all.
    Sometimes it's just hard to separate the cap from the stew, and I knew that there would be some good jumping off points for me from you all.
    But when someone wants to talk about something, and I don't have any knowledge on the subject, I'm at a disadvantage. I need to be able to hold my own in a conversation.

7. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

You may equally want to check out:
    They Were White and They Were Slaves: The Untold History of the Enslavement of Whites in Early America by
    Michael Hoffman