Has anyone ever had an Epidural?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by 1hotvirgowoman, Nov 9, 2004.

1. 1hotvirgowoman

1hotvirgowoman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    :baby: Here's the thing, I had an epidural about 12mo. ago and now I'm starting to have a stiff-like pain where they stuck the needle @.They stuck me six times(I kept moving Y'all!) could this be a factor?. All you Mothers' out there, let me know, is this Normal?

2. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Hi Sis!
    I am not a mother or anything,and I noticed that no one responded,so I looked up some stuff for yah and this is what i found from one article...

Less common side effects for a woman having an epidural are; accidental puncture of the dura, or spinal cord coverings, which can cause a prolonged and sometimes severe headache (1 in 100)(18) ongoing numb patches, which usually clear after 3 months(1 in 550)(19); and weakness and loss of sensation in the areas affected by the epidural, (4-18 in 10,000) also usually resolving by 3 months(20).

the rest of the article is here
    http://www.compleatmother.com/epidural.htm

3. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    yes,

I've had an Epidural but a little vaginal cream cleared that right up...lol....jokin

yes, I have had a few. You have to be very still or else the anesthesiologist could make a mistake and stick the wrong place or worse he/she could accidently paralize you. I was very fearful with my first Epidural. It was scary with that long needle. It lQQked like it would hurt like the dickens...(I aint never used that word B4..hope I spelled it right)..lol. Anyway it's not bad at all. I think the thought of being paralized made me more fearful than thinking about that big needle. Since you moved, that very well can be the reason why you are hurting after all this time. You got stuck 6 times??? whoa! Sorry to hear that. One time is good enough for me. i just hope you don't have any spinal damage...you should have that checked out.

4. 1hotvirgowoman

Ratings:
    +6

Gyrl, I know that I am rather late in replying to this but honestly I didn't think that anyone would respond. Thank You for your response Nita, and it feels good to conversate with another Mother. Yeah, they stuck me six times- but you know when those Contractions star kickin' in you can't help but to move- at least, that was the case with me. This was my first child so those Contractions were very new to me.Plus, I was given Oxycontin( or something like that) to speed up my delivery. Supposedly, that Drug causes hard Contractions. I wouldn't know any difference anyhow.Believe it or not- it wasn't the Needle that freaked me out- heck, when the Nurse finally showed up I was askin' her "Where's the Needle?". The Possibility of being Paralyzed did however did put a little fear in me, so I sucked it up and took it like it ain't never been took befo'!. Thanks Nita :smooch:

5. 1hotvirgowoman

Ratings:
    +6

And I want to Thank You Too Nisa. This Article was very informative. Now you Too know the after effects of an Epidural. Again, Thank You.

6. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    :)

No problem sister. I hope all goes well for you.

7. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I will never have an epidural. I dont want any kids period. I cant deal..dont have the patience. I saw my younger sister in labor..that was the last straw. Ughhh no thank you id rather have a... :massage:

8. QbanMami

QbanMami Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I had my daughter naturally and to be honest, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be!! Her head felt like a globe BUT I would do it the exact same way!! I had a mid-wife as well and it was beautiful. I felt like all my ancestors were there with me!! Almost my entire family was there not to mention my husband's family!! It brought me to tears or was that the contractions? lol...No, seriously ..the contractions just felt like really bad menstrual cramps. If you can, avoid the epidural!

9. 1hotvirgowoman

Ratings:
    +6

Well Alright!!! Thank You for sharing Qban', Child Birth IS a Blessed event indeed. You didn't feel uncomfortable with all those Family Members there?. I would have, as is, I felt a tad uneasy with my Mom being there- and she's the one who had ME!. My Second older Brother wanted in on the action but I had to draw the line. But I will agree with you, Labor is not really that bad- I'd do it again. The only thing that would make me think twice about it is those IV's- I HATE them with a passion!!!. My daughter is my only child at this time, soo when I went in to Labor with her- all that I had felt Physically was new to me. I chickened out and accepted the Epidural. If I should have another child, I will try my hardest not to accept an epidural, as I have come to realize that I CAN tolerate dem' contractions.

Nisa, in case you are wondering what delivering a Baby feels like, let me tell you- it feels like you are taking the Biggest Dump in the World!. No Joke!. And when it's all over-sigh...You feel soo much better.........

10. QbanMami

QbanMami Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Mami, my daughter is my only child and it was memorable. I am a personal trainer and a group fitness instructor and everyone kept telling me how I was gonna "pop that baby out". Girl please.....I was in labor for 20 hours!!!! However, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I thought that I would feel self-conscious but ,girl, having the world see my *** was the last thing on my mind!! lol