Black History Culture : Harriet Tubman

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by dunwiddat, Sep 26, 2012.

1. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    1819 Birth. Araminta Ross [Harriet Tubman] was born into slavery in 1819 or 1820, in Dorchester County, Maryland. Given the names of her two parents, both held in slavery, she was of purely African ancestry. She was raised under harsh conditions, andsubjected to whippings even as a small child. She slept as close to the fire as possible on cold nights and sometimes stuck her toes into the smoldering ashes to avoid frostbite. Cornmeal was her main source of nutrition and occasionally meat of some kind as her family had the privilege to hunt and fish. Most of her early childhood was spent with her grandmother who was too old for slave labor.
    At age six, Araminta was old enough to be considered able to work. She did not work in the fields though. Edward Brodas, her master, lent her to a couple who first put her to work weaving she was beaten frequently. When she slacked off at this job the couple gave her the duty of checking muskrat traps. Araminta caught the measles while doing this work. The couple thought she was incompetent and took her back to Brodas. When she got well, she was taken in by a woman as a housekeeper and baby-sitter. Araminta was whipped during the work here and was sent back to Brodas after eating one of the woman's sugar cubes.

Each time I read the history of this famous black woman..It just brings tears to my eyes. I cannot even consider a six year old working. I have two grand daughters, one five and the other eight. This woman was brave and disciplined. I believe ALL black children should read the history of this brave woman. This woman knew what she wanted..the freedom of the slaves and she did what was necessary. As black parents and grandparents we need to invest in our children's reading. Books that tell the history of our people.

What I found really significant is this.

In 1844 at the age of 25, she married John Tubman, a free African American who did not share her dream. I ask myself how many black women today have a dream and forego it BECAUSE it is not shared by their husband.. Harriett Tubman knew what she wanted and went after it... A great black woman. Her husband was free..that is his iron shackles were not on his feet...BUT he sure was not free ...mental chains were still there.

2. Enejoh

Enejoh Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +130
    She is one great Mother who stood up tall giving up her life for the good of all Black people. We are still under domination as the majority of us do not believe or acknowledge that we are still struggling under the slave masters cruel rule.

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    She worked hard to gain the freedom of her brothers and sisters, having been one, since youth, to have to endure hard labors.

If one can accomplish so much in chains from the age of a baby, you can certainly accomplish even greater things without those very chains weighing you down.

People should really understand this; that the freedom you have is made more for you than to fritter away, but we should use it to gain others their own freedoms, and continue the cycle til all who desire, be truly free!

Thanks, dunwiddat, for sharing. :)

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

You forgot to write what happened to her husband and who did it and why.

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    What I remember off-hand about her husband is that Harriet saved her money (from working off the plantation) to purchase her freedom and that her no-account husband STOLE it to pay HIS "tax" to remain "free."

What I do remember are Harriet's words when she was being praised for saving so many and NEVER losing a 'passenger' on her underground railroad: "I woulda saved more if they'd have known they were slaves."

6. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    What I recall is that Harriet saved her money (from working off the plantation) and that her no-account husband STOLE it to pay HIS "tax" to remain "free."

What I do remember are her words after being praised for saving 300 blacks on the underground railroad: "I woulda saved more if dey'd a knowed dey was slaves."