Black Ancestors : Harriet Tubman Interview

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by Jackee, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Jackee

Jackee Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    [​IMG]

Bang.

What was that?

It was my gun. I carry a gun to threaten anybody who thinks about going back to the plantation because they think that their Masters may catch them. I liked to do the running during the night to keep from being caught. Also, I couldn’t bear seeing them working in the fields like I used to. I really wanted to help them be free like me. Fortunately I have never had to use my gun.

Harriet Tubman Interview

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    she was a powerful woman and felt good to see a sista get free to free others
    and she got to live some good life outside slavery .

3. The Burnt One

The Burnt One Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Harriet Tubman also said, "I could free more of my people if only I could convince them that they are slaves."

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Collector donates Harriet Tubman artifacts to African American History museum

By Jacqueline Trescott
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, March 11, 2010

...an extraordinary trove of Tubman artifacts given Wednesday to the National Museum of African American History and Culture by esteemed collector and author Charles L. Blockson....

...Blockson, a leading authority on the Underground Railroad, has collected slave narratives, rare texts and thousands of artifacts related to black American history. More than 20,000 of his items were given to Temple University, now the home of the Blockson Afro-American Collection. It is a major repository with hundreds of thousands of items.

"My ancestors escaped with Harriet Tubman," Blockson told the audience on Wednesday. The artifacts came to him from Mariline Wilkins, a great grand-niece of Tubman. "I was shocked," said Blockson, 76, when he was notified a few years back that he had been willed the materials. "Then I prayed and put them in a vault. Then I put them under my bed and her spirit was with me.

"I decided they belong here,
    " Blockson said.

Full article & photos: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/10/AR2010031003451.html

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    These items brings us closer to sister Harriet

Users found this page by searching for:

1. interview on harriet tubman