Black Positive People : Harlem Childrens Zone

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by excel10k, Dec 14, 2008.

1. excel10k

excel10k Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    Harlem Childrens Zone Website

Geoffrey Canada is an innovative leader. He is the president and CEO of Harlem Childrens Zone (HCZ) and have obtained indisputable success, touching the lives of thousands of children.

[​IMG]

A vist to their website, will show that he confront the statistic head on. His results are indisputable and have been acknowledged by former president Clinton, Prince Charles, and an incredibly long list of others.

The book "What ever it takes" is an account of his first three years building the HCZ. I haven't read it yet, but I am ordering it today to see if it provides a road map that could be used in the work I would like to be a part of on a nationwide basis.

Those of us who want measureable results need to pay close attention to this man and mimick his actions. I have watched many youtube videos, scoured his organizations website, and read much about this man and his life work. His results are indisputable.

AWESOME Video on the man and his work

Notice how much he talks about dealing with racism/white supremacy and reprogramming his people from the effects of years of oppression. I think that is a common thread among people who are demonstrating measurable results.

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    This is wonderful!

I'll have to look into how this project can be implemented in other cities.

Atlanta sorely needs it in its neighborhoods.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    thankz i love what is taken place here .....wish there was more and if i could do something like this

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Hmmm.

5. Myafd

Myafd New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I saw this story on 60 minutes a while back. I hope this is instituted in every major city in the U.S.

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Promise Academy Charter Schools
    Going Beyond the Walls of the Classroom

The Promise Academy Charter Schools were created as a partnership with Harlem Children’s Zone, Inc. to directly impact the centerpiece of a child’s educational life.

The mission is to give children in Harlem a high-quality, well-rounded education. To do so, the schools have assembled talented, loving staffs that create safe, enriching environments where children know they are cared about and that there are high expectations of them.

The children at the three Promise Academy schools have an extended school day and year, giving them the time they need to master basic skills as well as explore the arts and sciences. To make sure they are ready for the rigors of the school day, the students receive healthy, freshly made meals and participate in daily physical activity.

The school staff works hand-in-hand with the after-school staff, which offers the students academic help, as well as various classes - from chess to music; from photography to web design. There is also a Saturday Academy for children who need additional help with their English and math skills.

Results have been encouraging. At Promise Academy II, 100 percent of the third-graders were at or above grade level on the 2008 statewide math test. At Promise Academy I, 97 percent of the third-graders were at or above grade level in math.

At Promise Academy I middle school, where the students entered at sixth grade and were two and three years behind grade level, there has been some great progress. The eighth-graders scored 87 percent on or above grade level on the latest statewide math test, whereas they had entered the school with only 40 percent at grade level.

In its citywide progress reports, the New York City Department of Education gave HCZ Promise Academy an “A” rating for its performance.

The venture began in September 2004 with the opening of Promise Academy 1 elementary and middle schools, followed in September 2005 by Promise Academy 2. Both PA 1 and PA 2 will both eventually run from kindergarten through 12th grade, taking on a new grade each year.

In 2006, a health clinic opened in the middle-school building so the students could get free medical, dental and mental-health services. The Harlem Children’s Health Project is a partnership of the Children’s Health Fund, the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University, New York-Presbyterian Hospital and HCZ. In addition the clinic works with the elementary schools to identify children’s unmet health needs and to facilitate necessary care.

With many of the students spending 10 or more hours a day at the school, they are immersed in the school’s culture of achievement and intellectual growth. Today, many of the Promise Academy students feel it’s “cool” to be smart and firmly believe they can and will succeed.

The Promise Academy charter schools are provided free of charge, which is made possible by generous donations from people like you.

http://hcz.org/programs/promise-academy-charter-schools