Black Entertainment : Hardest Working Men in Showbusiness: Samuel L. Jackson and Morgan Freeman

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by UBNaturally, Jul 6, 2016.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Jan 15, 2014
    Not sure if any were aware, but Denzel Washington is not the premiere actor of choice when it comes to "Black" actors.

It seems that without a doubt, Samuel L. Jackson (why do we always have to add the "L" to his name?) and Morgan Freeman have been putting in the work for years, and it has shown.

Both Jackson and Freeman are the 2nd and 3rd most grossing actors of all time, behind Harrison Ford.

This says a lot, considering the roles that they have played.

Jackson may have had a few "questionable" roles, Snakes On a Plane, Black Snake Moan, Django, but overall his ability to not conform to being typecast into a particular actor creates a range that can be seen from Jurassic Park to Star Wars.

1993 Jurassic Park
    look at those classic computers

Only film where you will see a "white" man call a "black" man, Master.

And Mace Windu seems to be some sort of legend, and gave the Jedi order a different feel.
    Click here to view what has been a recent idea of his character still being alive

Jackson is currently working on five (yes 5) films that may be released in the next 2 years.
    Including one animation, which would make six altogether.

This excludes the current film of Tarzan, which I have yet seen, and not quite sure of the plot and premise behind the story nor his role. But may comment on it after viewing, if that happens.

As for Freeman, his bust out performances in Lean On Me and Driving Miss Daisy are those of many memories.

The clip in which he basically let her know he was going to "make water", and that she just had to deal with it is not represented, but the interaction between the two made Hoke come off as an intelligent person attempting to be respectful while subtly scoffing at the mental ramblings of the older "white" woman.

Casted to play the role of "God", who else but Freeman who seems like he has been 60 years old for 30 years.

But his voice narrations seem to be something he can do without having to be on screen.
    March of the Penguins, Born To Be Wild, and more recently Island of Lemurs: Madagascar.

Currently, Freeman has a film out which is a sequel to the 2013 Now You See Me, Now You See Me 2. With two other confirmed films to be released over the next few years, it seems he isn't taking any breaks as well.

Morgan Freeman has been in 60 films
    This ranks behind Liam Neeson (62), Christopher Walken (61), and along Bruce Willis (60)

Samuel L. Jackson has been in 69 films
    This ranks only behind Robert DeNiro (78)

But one honorable mention has to go to Will Smith.
    Smith ranks at 24 on the list at $2,848.9 (million).
    But this doesn't include his production gross, which ranks him at 94 with $1,301

Total of $4,149.9 million in comparison to Freeman's $4438.4 and Jackson's $4,693.4
    Which would put him roughly behind Tom Hanks in fifth with both actor and producer credits.

Wild Wild West (1999) --- Turned down role as Neo in the Matrix to create Overbrook Entertainment, and this was his first film from it

Other Overbrook films and shows...

Love & Basketball (2000)
    Ali (2001)
    All of Us (2003) TV Series
    I, Robot (2004)
    Saving Face (2004)
    Hitch (2005)
    ATL (2006)
    The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)
    I Am Legend (2007)
    Hancock (2008)
    The Human Contract (2008)
    Lakeview Terrace (2008)
    The Secret Life of Bees (2008)
    Seven Pounds (2008)
    The Karate Kid (2010)
    This Means War (2012)
    After Earth (2013)
    The Queen Latifah Show (2013) TV Series
    Annie (2014)

And while Ice Cube and Kevin Hart have been doing their best "Bad Boys" remakes, Will Smith is said to be working on Bad Boys 3, projected to come out sometime in 2017.

With all of this and the potential that is obvious, it will only take a truly creative mind to bring about a new lane of material that we have yet to view or appreciate.

So let's consider where film entertainment has come from...

to this...