Black People : Hard Work and Bullets: The White American Narrative and The Black Person

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Blackbird, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Earlier today, I advocated an anti-gun stance on another thread regarding recent shootings in Chicago. Some thought that I was explicitly stating that banning guns would solve the violence in Chicago and throughout the country. That wasn't really my point... my point began about 2 months ago, when my wife brought up that she wanted to go to a shooting range. Our conversation that day triggered some unexplained emotions in me.

As a teenager, I had a penchant for guns. My brothers had a penchant for guns. My dad had a penchant for guns. At various point in my preteen and teenage years, I have owned a bb gun, a .22 caliber rifle, a .25 caliber handgun, a .9 millimeter handgun, a .40 caliber handgun and an AK-47. I have used each of these guns on several occasions, many times not in the most respectful of ways. In addition, I have lost 1 brother to gun violence and 14 friends over the years. My conversation with my wife, 20 years after I pulled my last trigger, found me with a much different point of view. I just couldn't fathom what any rational and sane person could even see in a gun. In my mind, guns were created one purpose and on purpose only - violence. I just can not see the sexiness in that. My mind jogged back to the words of my uncle who taught me how to drive. Before he would let me behind the wheel, he would always tell me and I had to repeat it before I took off - "A car is not a toy." A gun is not a toy. Of course, people go to shooting ranges and shoot them as recreation but again, a gun is not a toy.

So today, I used a thread about gun violence to promote my notion of banning guns - of course I know this isn't a viable option. As a result, I was met with relatively stiff opposition to this notion, which in turn made me think even deeper into guns and how passionately people feel about them in American society. I asked myself why is talk of banning guns so emotionally charged?

Recently, I was made aware that one of the key reasons the 2nd amendment was established was to suppress slave insurrections. As a descendant of slaves, of course this discovery did not sit too well with me. All this time, unbeknownst to me, the amendment that fires Americans up so emotionally as their "right" as citizens was enacted in part to put down slave revolts and Indian uprising. Wow! My mind began to think more.

On Destee, there are plenty of discussions about the European's global path of carnage in which groups of indigenous people, both in Africa and the Americas, were killed, conquered, subjugated, kidnapped, enslaved, evicted and colonized. This path to white supremacy and European cultural hegemony was forged most distinctively with the vicious bite of the bullet. Europeans and Americans were able to have their way with the world's citizens because they held a military and technological advantage over those with mere bow and arrows, swords, spears, clubs and blowguns.

It then became apparent for me that one of the reasons the gun is so loved, cherished and protected in American society and culture is it almost single-handedly accounts for the white American and European ascendency to the upper echelons of the global hierarchy. It is a cultural icon of white supremacy and a symbol of colored people's death. No wonder, I thought, that Americans don't take to kindly to talk about banning it. That would be un-American. The argument is that the gun is for protection. However, I began to ask if the word "protection" is thrown around to freely. I mean how often do you hear about Black folks robbing white folks and killing them? Most Black folks wouldn't even think of it for fear of getting caught and we all know what would happen if we got caught for murdering white folks. Does it happen? Yes, but a Black person is usually on the receiving end of another Black person's bullet.

Of course, I know it wouldn't happen this way but just think - if no one had access to guns, there would be no need for guns to protect from someone without a gun. The argument is that the criminals would just get guns from the black market. Whether that be the case or not, it appears as if gun ownership is etched in the American psyche as a way to protect yourself. I can't help to ask is it to protect against Black insurrection. It was through the gun that people were conquered, could there still be a collective memory fear that if guns were taken away, White America would lose some advantage? A fear that they would lose the very tool that established them as the dominant group and present day title holders of the United States.

Either way, clearly without guns America as we know it today would have not been possible. Where does that leave Black folks in the gun decision? Every person has their right to where they choose to hang their hat, but for me, I look at it like this: 1. Guns were made for violence, 2. Guns were used to enslave Africans and take the Indian's land, 3. The 2nd Amendment gave white folks to bare arms to put down freedom seeking slave insurrections and crush justifiable Indian uprisings attempting to get the interlopers off of their land, 4. The 2nd Amendment gives one the right to carry a gun for the purpose of self-defense like in the Trayvon Martin case (we know it was murder but its was ruled justifiable homicide due to self-defense), 5. Guns were used in white folks bloody trail of dead bodies, 6. Ifa said owning a gun is not a good idea for me. Ifa said that if I use a gun for protection, it would be me that the gun will be used on.

What do you say Black folks?

2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Peace Blackbird,

Context is everything... and the racial/historical context you put around black gun ownership is a constructed truth at best.

Before we were black.. before there was a europe.. before there was any concept of a nation.. there was the fundamental human quest for survival.. and men constructed weapons in order to persist.. It has nothing to do with any amendments.. or white/black dynamic. It has to do with man requiring the ability to defend.. to protect.. to hunt.. to survive.

Fast forward to 2014.. there's a thread here talking about 36 people shot in 36 hours in the Chi.. folks being robbed.. kids kidnapped.. home invasions.. and so on.. now, what man in that environment would choose to not have the ability to defend his family.. his person? only the ones that trust the police..

Guns are for violence.. indeed.. and violence is sometimes necessary.. and when it is necessary.. the one caught unprepared is the one that won't survive.. and, as I said before, survival is a part of our fundamental nature.

.. thats how I see it..

Peace again..

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
  4. SouthsideIrish

SouthsideIrish Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +348

It would appear to me from the context of some of your posts that your past experiences my cloud your judgement. I believe you said you have woken up from sleep due to nightmares of past doings with guns.

Like an obese person who turns into a fitness fanatic..Sometimes leaning all the way to one side will trigger someone to over react and lean all the way to the other......never finding the middle ground or balance.

5. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    As far as guns, slaves and Indians go together. What were the gun laws in Europe all about at the time? I honestly don't know.
    And why did you only mention Indians and slaves and not mention guns as gaining a source of food?

6. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    I can agree with hunting for food but the 2nd amendment was clear that it was primarily about self-defense which including Indian uprisings and slave insurrections. There is no mention of food in the second amendment.

7. SouthsideIrish

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    It doesn't say anything about Indians and it doesn't say anything or slaves either.. Its says self defense.

Not really fair to assert your own findings/thoughts and when I counter with my own...then...and only then you want to stack mine up against an amendment without challenging your own.

8. KingSango

KingSango Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +389

Did you ever figure that some people just want to hurt people? I mean Sadism exists and it's pretty common in European societies. In Africa South Sudan particularly, after the Civil War they had with the North they banned guns. But during the war everybody got one including kids and the reason was because kids got shot too and needed a gun to defend themselves. In most African countries it is punishable by death if you even brandish a gun in commission of a crime. You don't even have to use and they will kill you dead still when they capture and put you on trial. This shows that truly Africans are a peaceful people and as it's well known that African upon first encountering Europeans with their guns called them cowards. And Europeans are cowards and this gun issue is just a clash of civilizations. White Americans aren't ever going to give up their guns and before they do it will be a revolution then overthrow of the American government. You can't force upon White Americans what doesn't exist in their cultural perception. They out number Blacks 5 to 1 seeing it's about 200 million of them to our 40 million. So this banning of guns is never going to happen anywhere in the United States of America.

Your wife is right you need to get you some guns, move to the country and prepare for what is going to happen to this country and is happening. It's inevitable that America is headed towards a violent upheaval because this country was built upon the gun. It's how the West was won.

9. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Peace brother

Of course, context is everything. Sure people have always used weapons for survival and sef defense. I am not arguing against that.

What I am stating is the role of the gun in American society as a sacred cow. I am looking at how the gun factors in the American narrative. It is not a constructed truth when it is known as a fact that the gun helped to expand the borders of this country from sea to shining sea.

On one side of my family, I descend from the Comanche people. At one point, they were known as the Lords of the Southern Plains. They defeated almost every group of Indians they encountered. They accomplished this by mastery of the horse in combat and were called the greatest light cavalry the world has ever known. The horse figures significantly in historical Comanche society.

However, even the powerful Comanche, who generally put superior numbers on the battlefields with the Texans and Americans, succumbed to the advancing Americans. In battle, they lost far more lives. One instance, known as the Adobe Walls fight, a group of no more than 20 to 30 buffalo hunters defeated a combined force of 1000 Comanche, Kiowa, Cheyenne and Arapaho warriors.

As an anthropologist, I look at the cultural significance of items. Based on the context, while definitely a means for self defense, I think the gun figures so prominently in American society because of the role in played in establishing American society. It is a cultural icon.

Oh and I am not advocating that people living in a hostile or aggressive environment should be without means for protection. That is a given. I was just assessing why a tool for violence has lost some its connotation as a mechanism for killing, as it is also viewed as a recreation or sport (associated sexiness), in a society reputedly law abiding, peaceful and civil overall.

10. KingSango

KingSango Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +389
    I like you, I really do like you. I read your thoughts on African Secret Societies and I felt a sense of brotherhood because you belong to such good company. But are you double minded in my opinion, you waver, it's like that dream you had the one where you were lured out on that boat by a white man. Dreams denote our subconscious values that may not appear to us consciously because it's hard to admit certain things to ourselves. You're trouble by the European society? Why would the gun go from being a destroyer to a recreational object. Are you kidding me? These people have a history of violence, they invented the gun for peeps sake. They used it then for shooting people just for fun and taking over territory they wanted. Gun ranges aren't nothing new and contests with guns amongst them isn't either. Remember Annie Oakley? She was a white girl who was a straight shot and she's was made into an historical role model of gun brandishing and sporting guns.

You have to decide not when you get on the boat to leave for it may be too late as in your dream. But you have to decide if you want to get out of Babylon and live that African society that you're so lucky to be apart of. The gun issue doesn't exist in most of Africa, Thank God.