Black Poetry : Happy to be nappy!

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by WIZDOM4MILES, May 12, 2006.

1. WIZDOM4MILES

WIZDOM4MILES Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    My grandfather prayed that my skin be dark, da blaker the better he told me
    -he prayed for my dark skin so I'd be far away from resembling the white man as possible.

My grandmother wanted my nose to be BIG, da bigger da better she thought
    -she prayed my nose be big as a symbol, that all we had been through we still breathin.

My uncle gave me my dark brown eyes, da darker the better he said
    -he said the eye was the window to the soul and he wanted my windows tinted, he tinted my windows to hide the pain and oppression we faced.

My aunt gave me kinky hair, the kinkier tha better she told me
    -she gave me nappy hair to show the complexity of our roots, to show the twist and turns and the diffuclt times we had, my aunt was happy i was nappy.

My parents gave me big lips, the bigger the better they say
    -they made my lips big so i could speak for all the black voices who have been silenced over the years, they gave me big lips to speak for the fallen souls of Martin, Malcom, and Medger.

My family prayed that I'd have rhythm
    -they gave me rhythm so i could catch the beat, to dance for every beatin we ever got from masta.

You see they tell us our dark skin is cursed, but its kissed and blessed by the Sun. They tell us our noses are ugly, but it signifies survivial cause no matta wat they put us through we still breathin, they want us to have light eyes but our dark eyes are tinted they hide the tears and pain of our rapped mothers and stolen fathers. We put chemicals to our hair but we should be proud of our nappy roots to stand for our deep roots. We ashamed of our lips but they got to be big to tell the black family story cause our story is big. They want us to shuck and jive and tap dance for them, they love our ryhthm but we sometime ashamed to dance fo white folks, but if we keep dancin we keep showin the world our talent. So be proud, our parents gave us our features for a reason. Be happy to be nappy!

2. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    A very liberating message :) welcome :wave: hope you enjoy your stay here

3. WIZDOM4MILES

WIZDOM4MILES Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks i am glad u enjoyed it

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    WIZDOM4MILES ... this is simply beautiful! So nice to read. I just posted a thread in the Spirituality Forum, Worshipping False Idols. You might enjoy it, as much as i enjoyed reading you!

Welcome to the Family !!! :grouphug:

:heart:

Destee

5. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    I'm feelin this poem . Flow on, speak the truth;)