Black People : Handicapped / Mentally Retarded People

karmashines

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 26, 2005
How do you respond to individuals in our community who are "special", in other words those who are handicapped or mentally retarded? Is there a sense of a "forced acceptance" because one might feel sorry for them? I say "forced acceptance" because in their face one might be nice to them, but carry on direct mannerisms, IN MANY CASES that are VERBAL that can be picked up on by 'normal' family members.

Also, do you think that because one person in a family might be 'special' that the others would be genetically prone to the same physical and/or mental retardation?

Please be honest, while respectful that there may be "special" people in the community or family of "special" people that might be reading. And remember, these are just QUESTIONS for pondering.

karmashines said:
How do you respond to individuals in our community who are "special", in other words those who are handicapped or mentally retarded? Is there a sense of a "forced acceptance" because one might feel sorry for them? I say "forced acceptance" because in their face one might be nice to them, but carry on direct mannerisms, IN MANY CASES that are VERBAL that can be picked up on by 'normal' family members.

Also, do you think that because one person in a family might be 'special' that the others would be genetically prone to the same physical and/or mental retardation?

Please be honest, while respectful that there may be "special" people in the community or family of "special" people that might be reading. And remember, these are just QUESTIONS for pondering.

I teach a class of 28 students, about five of whom have Individual education plans (IEP's). These students are mentally retarded for a number of reasons. The primary one being drug abuse on the parts of the parents. Others include psychological trauma: parents being murdered before them or they, themselves, being sexually molested. Certainly there are genetic factors that also come into play with some students as well. Whatever the reason may be, they don't appreciate being singled out because of their differences. We all have differences (hopefully).

I think the majority of "Americans" believe everyone should basically fit the same mold, even if they don't (permed, thin, big booty :D ... whatever). We all have our preconceived notions of what's acceptable and what's not. Just because someone is slower than normal doesn't make their being any less substantiated. Maybe this is what they agreed to go through in order to be in this realm so that they might accomplish what they need to accomplish to proceed elsewhere. Or so that OTHERS may proceed elsewhere. Maybe others will do the same in their next round/cycle in this realm. And while I can't fault the parents for being weak and succumbing to drugs, I have an "occasional" disdain for them because of the torment to which they have so selfishly subjected their young. jmo

I don't have any negative feelings about mentally retarded people. I don't pity them either because sometimes I think they are the fortunate ones. As for people who may try to make fun of them, rest assured that someone is also making fun of those who make fun.

I wouldn't necessarily think that anyone else in the family would be retarded because I realize that the causes are many.

karmashines said:

I'm program director of a program where 40% of our children are special needs... 20% will fit into what you are talking about... essentially we take the children no one else will... what i have found out is that these children are brilliant... i mean brilliant...

i don't think we should fall into the trap of feeling sorry for these people... i'm all for inclusion. if anything i've seen them fight for acceptance and the chance to do these things on their own. in many cases.. these individuals have a greater sense of internal independence then most 'normal'... for lack of a better word... people...

there are a couple of little boys, brothers, that come to my program the older one has autisim and a host of other issues. the younger one has none... however you would think that he does b/c he mimics the older brother... A LOT... which i think is delaying some fundamental skills... i don't know how the parents can get around that... i don't think that the siblings are prone to it as much as able to mimic... i think only genetics and the prenatal/newborn/infant standard of care and living has the greatest impact...

anyhoo... good topic sis...

Having a neighbor who is in a wheelchair, a good friend, and phenom chess player....one thing I have learned is that the more mobile the disabled are, the less they want your pity...

I mean, dude gets nice women, got a special equipped van, parties and all....one thing he did have to remind me, was never touch their wheelchair...particularly if you dont know them personally. It is like a part of their bodies...(in his words)

It's 50/50 tho....some want inclusion and independence, and then some are just bitter and angry. Im not criticizing them for being bitter, but people with physical disadvantages sometimes have more advantages than able-bodied people. Im not in their shoes, so I cant come down hard on them.

Ahh...that "retarded" word is a bit outdated and considered harsh..... We say "developmental problems"....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back