Black Short Stories : Halloween Mailman

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by TreasureEyes, Oct 30, 2006.

1. TreasureEyes

TreasureEyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    It was a cold, rainey and windy Halloween night. All the children in the neighborhood was back home with their little stomachs full from the candy and treats and probably now in bed sleeping. She silently laughed at all the children and adults earlier in costumes yelling "trick or treat". But that was 5 hours ago. She was scanning through her mail when she saw written on a plain piece of paper "Happy Halloween - Your Next". She didn't give the note any thought and just threw it in the garbage. She had just taken a shower and was ready for bed.

It was a long day and she was awfully tired. It wasn't no more than 20 minutes after she was in bed that she heard a howling noise downstairs. Her house was in a safe neighborhood and it was a well alarmed and secure house.

She dismissed the thought that anyone other than herself could be in the house and laid back down to sleep. Ten minutes had gone by and there it was again ... the howling, cackling and squeaky noise downstairs. Hating to get out of her warm bed she figured she better just go ahead and see what the noise was.

She went to cut on the lights which did not come on when she flicked the switch. She looked out the window and saw no street lights on either. "Power is out on the entire street. Let me get the flashlights and candles" she said.

As she searched for the flashlights and candles she listened to the rain forcefully hitting her windows with the howling winds at 55 mph. "Wow, its cold in here tonight. I need to turn up the heat".

As she walked around downstairs in the dark she noticed the forceful wind had blown open one of her windows. She was relieved that the noise she heard was only the wind travelling through her window. She immediately closed it. "There ... so much for the noise now. That's probably why it was so cold in here. Now, where did I put those flashlights? Oh yeah, they should be over in the cabinet."

Continuing to walk around in the dark, she walked over to the cabinet where the flashlights and candles were. At that moment there was an odd unbenowned stinky smell to her in the room. A musty damp rotten smell. That's funny she thought to herself because her house was always immaculately clean with the scent of Pine heavily in the air.

"Something stinky probably flew through the window when it was open. Hmmmm, now where are those flashlights and candles." She opened the cabinet door and searched in the dark for the flashlights and candles. "Here they are."

As she went to grab for the flashlights and candles she could not move or speak a word as she felt this large wet cold hand forcefully grip her wrist. She was not only horrifed and scared, but completely in shock for now she realized an intruder was in her house.

She was scared to death when she said who are you and the intruder with a deep voice said to her "I'm stinky". She tried to yell but she couldn't especially when the intruder grabbed her other hand. As she trembled she managed to say to the intruder "what do you want from me".... the intruder held the cold metal knife up under her throat and whispered in her ear ... "This is no trick so I'm here to give you a treat".

Her next door neighbor was awaken as she heard a loud horrible scream. Harriet, her neighbor slowly got up and looked out the window and said "that's odd, I wonder what kind of mail could the mailman be leaving on Gloria's porch this late at night."

As the mailman was calmly walking down Gloria's front porch with blood on his jacket, he noticed her next door neighbor the most beautiful Harriet Moore watching him out of her window. He decided to waved to her as he pointed to Gloria's mail that had a note attached to it that clearly said "Happy Halloween Harriet - Your next".
    :ghost: :witch: :danger:

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Oh my now he's about to visit Harriet.........with a boo blood bath !

enjoyed this much scare me some more .

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    wish it was a pt.2 to this i enjoyed reading it again like every year !!

4. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    I don't know if this member is still around but:

I like to read a bunch of scary stories from reedit.com/r/nosleep

If i were you i'd make the intro longer since it seems like every other sentence condenses certain aspects of the plot into something which I find hard to read a first, so I have to re-read it.