Haiti : Haiti and The Dominican Republic- The Roots of Division

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by RAPTOR, Aug 4, 2012.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    I don't have much respect for 'skip'-over gates, but this documentary addresses the issue between dominicans and haitians.

...And how dominicans see themselves.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother RAPTOR ... why is it, that you don't have much respect for Henry Louis Gates?

Haiti and the Dominican Republic - The Roots of Division ... :toast: :toast: :toast:

An absolutely GREAT DOCUMENTARY ... i learned sooooo much watching it !!! ... :bowdown:

He did an absolute wonderful job teaching, with this video, and i thank you for sharing!

It surely explains why a Dominican would say ... "As long as we are not Haitian we are good."

WOW ... i learned so much ... so much more than the answer to my question !!!

Thanks again for sharing!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

3. alycia

alycia Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    This was a great documentary, and did explain quite a lot. Sad on so many levels when you think about it, but I feel that the Haitians have a lot to be proud of. The Haitians showed, and still show, the most strength and pride. They're not lost and they know who they are without the distortion of "others" coming in and telling them what they should think of themselves. And I'm sure some will comment that they are so-called poor and don't have the spoils of money and materialism, but they **** sure got their minds, hearts, spirits, and souls. They're not lost when they look in a mirror.

4. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +666
    ''I think we overuse the word Black, Black tells you how you look but it doesn't tell who you are. I think where ever we live on the face on the earth we are an African people and we have to become accustomed to letting the word Africa roll from our lips with ease and with pride'' - John Henrik Clarke.

5. nixprophet

nixprophet Psalms 82:6 MEMBER

Young Black Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +357
    The most amazing thing to me about Hatians is the will power that they have embodied through out their struggle, which has allowed them to overcome and conqure any obstacle that has stood in their path.

They have INDEPENDANTLY done so unlike any other black or so called Mullatto nation...

Alot of hatians call themselves "Zoe" which translates roughly into "Bone" in creole. They use this term affectionately to signify that they / we all come from the same body( Afrika )...

A mentality that we could ALL learn from....

Peace... Peace...

6. Mercyless1803

Mercyless1803 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    when i lived in NY I noticed the division between Haitians and Dominicans. Not saying they despise each other, but a lot of them don't think much of each other.

7. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Sorry it took so long to catch this.

To put it short, gates is a charlatan bought-and-paid-for uncle tom who does just enough 'good' to stay relevant (like hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day). He has a history that many aren't up on.

8. alycia

alycia Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

9. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094