Amnat77

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
Manager of Dearborn beauty supply store killed, $10,000 in merchandise stolen
Steve Pardo / The Detroit News

Dearborn — The thieves who killed a beauty supply storekeeper made off with an estimated $10,000 — retail — in hair weaves. And hair professionals in Metro Detroit suspect the robbers will have no problem unloading the merchandise.

"Weaves — it's like selling crack," said Lashawnda Washington, a cosmetologist and hair instructor at Michigan College of Beauty in Troy. "If I (were) to load my car down with weaves and go salon to salon, by the end of the night I'd have nothing left. It's like selling drugs."

Police released more information Wednesday on the robbery at Sunrise Beauty Supply, 4920 Schaefer, and the slaying of Jay Shin, including a composite sketch of a suspect and an image taken from a surveillance camera.

"It's just so sad," said Mona Hassan, who owns a nearby hair salon. "I knew him. I'd send customers there to get their hair."

Hair is a multibillion-dollar industry. People who want longer or thicker locks will spend from $5 to $500 for a quarter-ounce bundle of hair, depending on the type and quality.

That means the high-end hair, ready for weaves, is about as valuable as platinum, which closed Wednesday at $1,689 an ounce, and more valuable than gold, which closed around $1,400 per ounce. Even lower-end hair can be pricier than silver, ounce for ounce. Silver is trading around $34 an ounce.

The 80-odd packs of assorted colors of "Velvet Remi" hair extensions taken in Tuesday's robbery at Shin's store were selling for $120 to $135 each, police said.

Authorities believe two men and a woman were involved in the robbery and slaying at the store. Police were called about 11:30 a.m. and found Shin inside, shot to death.

Police have said one of the suspects has a tattoo or birthmarks over both eyes and some blotches around his cheek. He is described as a black man, 20-25 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall with a thin build. He wore a green waist-length hooded jacket with "Packers" written across the front, gray sweatpants, tan boots and a baseball cap.

"This appears to be a random and senseless crime that will be subjected to all our investigative resources," said Ronald Haddad, the Dearborn police chief.

Police are looking for a silver four-door vehicle, possibly a Ford Focus. The female suspect is believed to have been the getaway driver.

"If they stole 80 packs, they're going to hustle it on the streets," said Washington, the cosmetology instructor. "It's a huge market."

Customers typically buy hair extensions and then take them to salons to be woven into their hair.

Hair salons and beauty supply stores were understandably edgy Wednesday, calling the incident "senseless" and "tragic."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110317...es-are-hot-property-for-thieves#ixzz1GsnijZ8Q

"Late Breaking News: Apparently, expensive and highly sought after products...have value. More news at 5 - and also at 5: In a ground-breaking discovery that has baffled scientists and rendered the scientific community speechless... 'Water...is wet'!"

WOW...

ANYWAY --
*laugh*
All joking aside. This write-up wouldn't have been so large if the thieves had stolen stereo equipment, I'm sure.
(which is equally senseless)
It wouldn't have even been as large if the thieves killed the store owner and only got $50 out of it.
(which is ridiculously senseless).

I see that my local online reporters aren't alone in strange reporting. Well, at least you can read this. Hell, just try to read the articles on the sites of our local news stations. Spelling errors. Grammar issues? No proofreading.
I'm like, "F'real? Ya'll 'sposed to have a good grasp of the language. You are journalists...."

This 'dumbed down' article is taken out of context because 'Mr Pardo' wrote it in such a way that it practically overshadows the crime. Simply because the stolen material happens to be 'hair weave'....

So, I guess I'm supposed to read this article and say, "Ooh, black folks so obsessed with weave, they killin' mf's for it! When will 'we' learn...?"
*laugh*

Please...
...and y'know this is circulatin' on all the black sites right about now.
Who wants to bet me that most of the black folks on the sites, the bulk of which are NON-critical thinkers, are reading the article and 'SMH-ing' themselves silly. As we speak...someone is bemoaning the 'State of Black America', as usual (doesn't take much). Someone is whining about white people. Someone is discussing historical perspective and drawing parallels with the black psyche. Someone has also managed to insult 'black women' in the process (as usual).

Someone died, here. That shouldn't be the 'backstory'.
The 'central' point shouldn't be that weaves are worth money. That should be obvious by the fact that someone decided to steal it and could've been left out.
Weave... Yes, it's a 'hot property'. Much like anything with perceived value, it's a 'commodity' that can be bought and sold.
Duh...

"Late Breaking News: Apparently, expensive and highly sought after products...have value. More news at 5 - and also at 5: In a ground-breaking discovery that has baffled scientists and rendered the scientific community speechless... 'Water...is wet'!"

WOW...

ANYWAY --
*laugh*
All joking aside. This write-up wouldn't have been so large if the thieves had stolen stereo equipment, I'm sure.
(which is equally senseless)
It wouldn't have even been as large if the thieves killed the store owner and only got $50 out of it.
(which is ridiculously senseless).

I see that my local online reporters aren't alone in strange reporting. Well, at least you can read this. Hell, just try to read the articles on the sites of our local news stations. Spelling errors. Grammar issues? No proofreading.
I'm like, "F'real? Ya'll 'sposed to have a good grasp of the language. You are journalists...."

This 'dumbed down' article is taken out of context because 'Mr Pardo' wrote it in such a way that it practically overshadows the crime. Simply because the stolen material happens to be 'hair weave'....

So, I guess I'm supposed to read this article and say, "Ooh, black folks so obsessed with weave, they killin' mf's for it! When will 'we' learn...?"
*laugh*

Please...
...and y'know this is circulatin' on all the black sites right about now.
Who wants to bet me that most of the black folks on the sites, the bulk of which are NON-critical thinkers, are reading the article and 'SMH-ing' themselves silly. As we speak...someone is bemoaning the 'State of Black America', as usual (doesn't take much). Someone is whining about white people. Someone is discussing historical perspective and drawing parallels with the black psyche. Someone has also managed to insult 'black women' in the process (as usual).

Someone died, here. That shouldn't be the 'backstory'.
The 'central' point shouldn't be that weaves are worth money. That should be obvious by the fact that someone decided to steal it and could've been left out.
Weave... Yes, it's a 'hot property'. Much like anything with perceived value, it's a 'commodity' that can be bought and sold.
Duh...

Do you wear hair weaves or something? There is nothing wrong with way the article was written.... would you agree with the fact that shows the price of hair weaves doubling in past eighth years might have contributed to this crime?

Who are the consumers?

It is the Age of Aquarius, and all the garbage people of all colors have successfully kept hidden for years, even centuries will to be revealed ...get used to it, face it, and evolve or die.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back