Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Hair Relaxers Not Linked to Breast Cancer Risk in African-Americans

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by Destee, May 18, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hair Relaxers Not Linked to Breast Cancer Risk in African-Americans

African-Americans who use hair relaxers can breathe a sigh of relief. A new study shows the chemicals used to straighten hair do not increase the risk of breast cancer.

New research from Boston University and Howard University Cancer Center reveals no increase in breast cancer risk based on the type of relaxer, how often it's used or for how long women use it. Results show women who use relaxers seven or more times a year over a 20-year period or longer had the same risk as those who used them for less than a year.

More African-American women ages 40 or younger develop breast cancer than Caucasian women of the same age. African-American women, in general, are more likely to die of the disease. Because the increased risk is not completely due to known risk factors such as race and family history, researchers are looking at other potential causes.

Chemicals in hair relaxers can get in the body through cuts or burns in the scalp. Manufacturers are not required to list all the ingredients, so the products could contain a substance that is potentially harmful.

Click Here To Read Entire Artice

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Peace and Blessings Family,

I guess we should be glad that they've decided to study what we're putting on the very fragile protection of our daughter's brains, their scalp, and determining that it's not causing us breast cancer.

But the above only makes me want to know, why aren't ingredients required to be listed?!

In addition to the chemical getting in through cuts and burns ... keep in mind, this stuff causes burns! ... how do we know the scalp doesn't actually absorb any of it into our bodies ... taking those chemicals "straight to the head" ... in the most literal sense!?!

What is really in that mixture that helps us be more like white women?

I aint hardly breathing no sigh of relief.

:heart:

Destee

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I know thats right!

With all that studying, they had to find out what it does cause. But see how they intentionally left that out.:thinking:

3. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Honestly, I am not convinced. Wondering if the ceos of the top hair relaxing companies funded this research, lol. If a product is truly safe, all ingredients should be disclosed without hesitation. smh

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Yes Sisters ... check this out ... this site (Natural Hair Digest) lists some ingredients, and goes on to say the following, and more.

The very outcome of the relaxing process is the result of partial hair destruction. The chemicals penetrate your hair shaft and break protein bonds inside, leaving curly hair limp (straight). No bonds are re-formed in the process.

Can you absorb chemicals through your skin? Yes, Skin administered drugs is a whole new topic in medicine with new drug patches becoming available for use in the general population from pain relief to anti-smoking "skin patches." With this in mind why would we consider putting any chemicals on our skin with the risks of long term absorption unknown.

LEGAL STUFF: The FDA To The Rescue...?

"Even if the [FDA] suspects that serious adverse health effects are caused by a cosmetic product, they can't require the manufacturer to provide test data to prove the product safety." -Sen. Ron Wyden

:heart:

Destee

5. silent-ra

silent-ra Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    i'm witchu. i'm not convinced not to mention that it does cause cancer.