Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Hair and Spirituality, is there a connection?

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by Jaisolovely, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jaisolovely

Jaisolovely Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Does wearing dredlocks hold a spiritual significance? Representing purity and a closeness to God?

I know that after I had cut my perm out, to me, it signified a rebirth. I knew that I wanted to transform my mind and way of life.
    And boy what a transition it can be. At times I get the urge to change my mind and go back to wearing my hair str8, but then quickly I change my mind. I want to stay natural and get as close to nature as I possible can...still learning...
    Does having a connection with nature pushes you closer to having a connection with God?

I hope this thread is in the right Forum!!

2. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    Black people are the only people on the planet with the course hair. There are folks as dark or darker than we, but only a certain group of people have the "Receptor Hair" or the "Tribe of Shabazz" Hair.

3. Desert Storm

Desert Storm Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    I think you feel more true to yourself and closer to God because you are accepting you God created you to be.

I recently got a texturizer in late May because I was going on a trip and Ididn't want to spend a lot of time dealing with my hair in the morning. However, I actually spent more time on my hair than I thought because it was so dry and I didn't bring the right products with me. I let it grow out and was going to get a touch up, but I started noticing that the front of my hair was breaking off. I had also got a color correction from a dye job gone bad that I tried to do by myself, which I believe weakened my hair as well. Anyhow the front of my hair has grown out and is starting to lay down a lot better. This was my first texturizer that I was already told I didn't need and I guess I have to agree. I really enjoy the new growth being much stronger than it would be with a texturzer. Can't wait for it to grow out. I hate having two textures of hair, new growth and the old part.

I believe self-acceptance, helps you feel more one with yourself.

Desert Storm

4. snugli360

snugli360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    snugli360

As a little girl my older sibling used to tease me about my hair my mom didn't know what to do with it I was called the famous nappy head if I knew what I know now I would of praise THE MOST HIGH for my nappy locks now that i am grown and in control of my journey thank you LORD for given me such a blessing

5. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Don't know about Locked hair bringing me closer to God, but it sure brought me closer to myself.

6. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    YES messin with this stuff is Meditation/Prayer - but ya gots ta have the inside of yo head Right!
    YES Nature/God; same thing!

YES sho nuff: it's at the Destee.Com Black Fambly Forum!!!

7. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    ALL Hail dem Naps!!

(got jb flowin with make it funky, mother popcorn, the payback, i got you, get up offa dat thang! guess we can figure out why i went here with this thread, eh?!!) [and only cuz i'm wayne; had to finish that line off with a typical canadianism! :lol:]

8. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Self awareness and the desire to break away from eurocentric values culminates in the act of committing to a natural hairstyle. That act of culmination is an exhiliarating landmark Anything that sets us free is going to make us feel closer to what we were created to be FREE by the ULTIMATE FREE SPIRIT. whether it's wearing dreds or an afro, burning your bra or leaving corporate America to start your own business.

9. manu heru

manu heru New Member MEMBER

writer,software,web,liberator,educator
    Ratings:
    +0

""The power that causes galaxies to spiral, stars, planets and atoms to spin; that causes the double helix spiral of the dna molecule; this same spiraling power causes spiraling hair - otherwise known as nappy, kinky, curly, crinkly, bushy, frizzy, wavy, wooly hair! the words, spin, spiral, and spiritual have common roots! the supreme power spins; spirals; it is spiritual. it moves or spirals the universe! the entire universe ever dances in spirals and rotations; everything in it reflects the "SPIRaling, SPIRitual" essence out of which it is made! (suzar, 'blacked out through whitewash', 7)
    [​IMG]

~manu~

10. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    :bowdown:Man, I'm gone get my shovel cause that is deep.:bowdown: