Black People : Hafu.....Mixed race Japanese beauty abuse - not Japanese enough.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by frankster, Mar 25, 2015.

1. frankster

frankster Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +133
    [​IMG]

The naming of 20-year-old Ariana Miyamoto as Japan's contestant in the upcoming Miss Universe beauty pageant has provoked a storm of criticism.

With an African-American father, Miyamoto's Japanese status is insufficiently "pure", according to some critics.

Miyamoto was crowned with the glittering tiara as the most beautiful woman in Japan on March 8, but it did not take long for internet commentators to question her ethnicity.

On the Girls Channel website, anonymous posters were expressing their disappointment.

"The idea is to have a Japanese representing Japan," wrote one poster.

"I think it's bad that a 'half' has become the Japanese representative," added a commentator, while another posted: "I don't understand this selection criteria."

Miyamoto was born in the city of Sasebo, in Nagasaki Prefecture, to a Japanese mother and African-American father. She attended junior high school in her home town before completing high school in the United States
    http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/artic...ant-ariana-miyamoto-faces-racial-backlash-due

2. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Yeah...

Some of all people are either believe what they choose or are into denial...

But...

Also good some of us did or do read elder brother Rashidi Runoko's articles too!

Big props....

:10200:

3. sekou kasimu

sekou kasimu PanAfrikanist Revolutionary MEMBER

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864
    I don't blame them! Afrikans are the only people who celebrate their mixed breeds. Girlfriend chose the wrong side of the family to identify with. Someone should have told her that Europeans aren't the only racists in the world. I hope she knows now.

4. Jantavanta

Jantavanta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +24
    Japan was originally populated by Black People who migrated out of Africa and Japanese bear Nigerian names. There were Black Japanese up to 120 years ago.

5. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

I can see the conflict in other ways, while still having the context of a mixed heritage debate.

She attended high school in the United States, and then returns to Japan to compete for a Miss Universe spot, because of the death of her friend?

Did she leave Japan because of something that happened to her there?
    This may be answered as we read further.

But didn't the US bomb the heck out of Japan? The past is the past, but just saying.

If she would have stayed in Japan for education and all else, maybe this conversation would be a little more obvious, but it seems it has more than one layer. Don't you have to be a US Citizen in order to attend any US High School?

Also, not Japanese enough for who?
    Anonymous commenters on a forum/blog, or the judges that chose her to represent Japan?

This was a message board where members of a forum called "Girls Channel" were commenting on the selection of the first "Haafu" representative for Japan. The thread was entitled:

Miss Universe: Japan representative to the 20-year-old Miyamoto Eliana's Nagasaki "kana good in my half."

All of the posters are "Anonymous", so... hmm?
    Also comments from supporters (Anonymous) along with the detractors (Anonymous), seems like any typical social forum.

Where is this storm coming from?

But what we could talk about is how her friend's death translates into her wanting to represent Japan.
    Was her friend's death from an issue of how "Haafus" are treated or mistreated in Japan?

Here is her story:

"At first, I didn't want to compete," Miyamoto said in Japanese. "But then a close friend who was also biracial committed suicide. That's when I decided to do something about the suffering he'd endured."

She said the friend "really hated being half Japanese and not being fully accepted into Japanese society."

"Japan still has racial issues, and I wanted to do something about it," she said.

Japan, an island nation that didn't open to the world until the late 1800s, still lacks real diversity today. Mixed-race children made up less than 2 percent of births in 2013.

At the Tokyo gym where she works out twice a week, it's hard to imagine this now confident, stunning 20-year-old was once a bullied kid.

"Whenever the teacher told us to hold hands, other children thought my black skin would rub-off on them, so they said, 'Don't touch me,'" Miyamoto said. "Some kids wouldn't get in the pool with me. Others threw garbage at me."

We should look closer into this, and not focus on anonymous comments from another country's user forums that talk about alot of "Girl" topics.

Is this isolated only in Japan, or is the a general context of how most countries and societies are when it comes to social diversities in younger (and sometimes older) generations... bullying and campaigns against anti-social behaviors.

Adults chose her, but her peers may not. Isn't this par for the course of social engineering or attempting to assess what a "culture" is or is not.

Not too long ago, someone felt a certain way about how they were treated as a new member here on Destee, and left. But again, what is culture and how many rotten eggs does it take to spoil the rest?

Do all Japanese have this "Anonymous" thinking, is this part of the culture shock of foreigners entering, or is this a case of young (immature) people being young (immature) people?

6. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Ali said this too as in we are all over the globe only new and news when folk fail to do their homework before they post fyi

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black and japanese mixed people

2. black and japanese mix

3. haafu paheants

4. Ariana miyamoto is half black forum.com,
  5. black mixed with japanese ,
  6. mix race black and japanese