Gun Ownership : gun control? how? suggestions please

i'd like to hear ideas about how guns could be brought under control.

I haven't paid much attention to anything in the media for a good while so the gun debate...meh.
Pardon my ignorance if it reveals itself.

This whole thing seems a bit contrived. Children were killed in a mass shooting and the media's trying to whip the public into an anti-weapon frenzy. What about the thousands of murders occurring every single day?

Gun control? Yeah - I'm all about common sense legislation. Reducing capacity doesn't bother me. I have no ideas, though, and couldn't care less, either way, at this time.
I'm a Texan.
'Nuff said.
Texas just revamped the castle laws a few years back and the vast majority of Tx homeowners are 'packing heat'. If you've seen how many would-be victimized homeowner's down here were able to defend themselves and their families from home-breakin type criminals...?

Even the Dems know better than to 'go there'....

Although...you mentioned something about education and training (firearms)?
Yeah - I'd agree with that.
- To be a proficient marks(wo)man, you've got to practice. You've got to be comfortable with handling and firing. I don't go as often as I used to...but I'd generally put hundreds of rounds through my handguns at the range.
- Safety first. How many times have I heard in the media about a man cleaning a weapon that accidentally discharges and hits someone in the next room? Just stupid. How can you know enough to clean your weapon but not enough to clear it, first?
I'd like to mention that nothing annoys me more than someone who handles a weapon and doesn't understand 'muzzle awareness'.
I'd agree that gun cases should be mandatory, if you've children in the home.
Someone also needs to teach some of these males that you don't fire a weapon sideways....

if you possess an unregistered weapon you go to jail.

1. ...because creating a law to prevent an act will surely stop any re occurrence of it....
2. There's no way to realistically enforce such a thing. I mean - what are the police gonna do? Search every homeowner's ?
3. Will criminals have to register their weapons, as well....?

the process would include serious psychological evaluation. family history included.

I don't say that it can't be done (or shouldn't).
I just don't trust the govt to do it with care.

You can't lump, for instance, a depressed individual in with one who has paranoid schizophrenia.
It's not a matter of 'crazy being crazy'. That's why no greater understanding can be had, imo. The public doesn't have better sense than to further stigmatize these people.
All mental illnesses are not one in the same. There are many in society who are high-functioning - high achieving - and successfully managing their illness...actually.

guns would be posted on line so you know if your neighbor is stocking up.

... and do what? Alert the police?
'Stocking up'...really?
Don't be such an alarmist.
Perhaps I just like weapons. Some of us do, y'know. Sometimes, you buy and dislike...how it hits...how it fires...the recoil. Maybe it's too big for your hands...whatever. Sometime, you buy a new one and use your others less often.
I went through 3 handguns before I found one that I liked. I needed something small but I don't want to fire with it...BUT I can't conceal because it's too big and I'm not some flannel-shirt wearing lumberjack lesbian. I'm a girly woman.
...but it's all been for naught, really. Because, while I do have a CC permit? I do not carry concealed.
For the sake of fashion...*laugh*
Yeah, really.

I had the belt holster but I dislike carrying so far up. I feel like I'm going to shoot myself in the butt. Totally irrational, I know. The safety's on. The muzzle's down. It's secured...still.
I sometimes see men on tv carrying their handguns in the front of their pants...muzzle down...and with confidence. How realistic is that?
Also, the sort of handgun that I want to carry won't look right with my clothes. Sure, I could wear it in the winter months with a sweater or shawl and whatnot. What about the summer? I like to carry on my ankle but I don't wear flares as much as I used to.

If you're rolling your eyes at this point? You're just like my husband, daddy and brothers. *laugh*
... but every gun-toting woman considers some variation of this, "How do I carry...and look cute?"
I'm just giving voice to it.
*laugh*
I settled on a gun purse. That helps.

ANYWAY --
If I'm registered then I've been green-lit... and I'm obviously within my rights.
What business is it of this or that person if I have 1 weapon or 5?

It's more effective to KNOW your neighbor as a person. Not some outsider looking in tattling to the police about someone's weapon cache. Knowing that they've bought a rifle could mean anything. Knowing that they've been frequently tearful, lonely, severely delusional or noticing cryptic comments or hearing them say that they're going to 'end it all' is quite another.

Other than that? I'm not posting anything online. Sorry. The govt can post what's registered in an easily accessible database.
...but all of this micro-managing is for the birds. Talk about illusions of safety.
Dying in a mass shooting?
Whatever. I'm no mathematician but as a 5'2 female whose been peeped AND stalked? The odds of my getting picked off by some gang banger/thief/murderer or being the victim of sexual violence are infinitely greater....

This is a multifaceted problem and it can't be solved by 'Oh - just reduce carrying capacity'.
Is this government stupid or what? Obama's just doing 'whatever' just to say that he's doing something. At the moment, he annoys me.

What I'd prefer in addition to gun control talks?
- A serious and respectful discussion about mental health system and those who suffer from mental illness. No, I do not propose that we lock people up and throw away the key. I just know that the system fails those who are gravely stricken and more needs to be done to help them.
- America addressing what's turned into a very warped culture. Weapons have always existed. Why in the last 70 years are people trying to mow each other down with them?
- A serious gender-focused discussion concerning violence and why young males are so more likely act in such dangerous extremes. What's going on?

It's not going to happen, I don't think. Any talk of 'fixing' mental health is going to morph into an 'overhaul' and anything related to culture can't be fixed in one fell swoop.
So, quick fixes it is....

Background checks? For what? The suicidally extreme? That's half the white population under 25.

Pardon me, but I'm seriously wishing Diane Feinstein will discover that she was meant to live on a deserted island and leave for such a place and never return.

I heard her say tonight that our forefathers could have never predicted the wildness of our modern day weaponry, which is why the 2nd amendment should be repealed.

In all honesty, I'm in shock that she could be scared of automatic weaponry with everyone armed up to their balls in nuclear terrorism. If I even owned a gun I'd be severely under-armed compared to the US Government, whose going to gain ground for de-arming America?

That's why I get a good chuckle every time I read about Texas becoming it's own country. As if a bully who can bomb children continuously for 10 years straight and then rally a nation behind 20 children would allow something to happen that they didn't strictly approve. As if they couldn't nuke Austin and blame it on Muslim extremists tomorrow.

Enforce the existing laws.

Close the loopholes that allow me to sale a gun to my crazy neighbor

Realize that the elephant people were wrong in shutting down the mental health systems

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back