Black People : Growing up in a mixed environment

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Enigma_01, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Enigma_01

Enigma_01 Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyone out there who has grown up in a diverse neighborhood and has trouble relating to there own kind? Let me know.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Hello and Welcome Enigma :wave:

Are you saying that you are Black and have trouble relating to Black Folk?

:heart:

Destee

3. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    I was gon ask the very same thing Destee lol :)
    clarify if u would :)

4. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I have heard this from many, until, they have to get out there in the real world. I think that it is a psychological thing that manifest itself in many-- regardless of race; or so I have been told. I can understand it in a way, and in another way I think that it is a bunch of bunk.
    Then again, hey I just may be wrong. On the other hand I told a brother who told me the same thing because he went to white prep schools all his life in Massachusettes (on the Affirmative Action Program); and it is beginning to really piss me off that you have a certain kind of black who think that because I am of a lighter hue I have some kind of adverse relationship with my people; anyway; I told the brother to just leave Black people alone, stay away because he is only bringing confusion and trivialities that have no place in the work place... black people have enough to deal with...
    He didn't take my advice--- because he couldn't; it is a fact that Black males have a harder time on the job-most times; and all those White Males that he had a "bond" with constantly undercut he ideas and theories and never ever apologize when he is right; some of the evil ones even had the nerve to complain when he was at his desk doing nothing--BECAUSE THE BROTHER HAD FIGURED OUT A WAY TO CUT THE WORK LOAD IN HALF, WHILE DOING MORE-- We still talk, I keep my distance though; I just tell him to be himself and pray (something else those who are bonded in other worlds seem to let slide).
    ??? Be yourself.

5. Enigma_01

Ratings:
    +0
    What I'm saying is that they are so closed minded. I have a very diverse taste in music. I like hip-hop, Pop, Rock, R&B, Alternative,Techno. House and some country. If I decide to put on Alternative or Rock. Everyone just stares at me like I'm foolish or that I may be trying to be white. I like to go to all types of clubs and just have fun. I have all types of friends in all shapes, sizes, colors, nationalities, creeds, alternative lifestyles. So I don't hate on anyone. I try to learn to understand different people in helps me become more cultured. I like to try adventurous things. I would like to go skydiving one day.

6. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Enigma:
    Do it; and if they stare-- laugh and talk about it or whatever;
    I like R/b, Pop, Jazz, Classical music... and please! If we stop spreading that fallacy of "trying to act white" maybe we can dispel with the myth... hell I even like country--yes, I was a Barbara Mandrell-Judds-Tanya Tucker fan--Why should you care!
    We are the inventors of every genre of music here-- except grunge rock (and they have a few Black or mixed bands doing that), and acid rock and then there are bands doing that!
    Hey, I even have a few techno albums....
    Whites love our music, some genres it seem more than us, do they go around worrying if that is "acting black?"

It is good that you have friends of everything, it can enhance your life in that it gives you differing perspectives-- that should not have any affect on the way you deal with the Folks... from my experience it seems that usually it is just the other way around, we sometimes get attitudes about and against our own-- and somehow life or maybe God, opens our eyes and we are made to see...

You said that "they" are closed-minded... do any of your friends have a taste in music, and listen to only that kind of music? Are they closed-minded? My friend Ann, white as a sheet and then some, is a rap fan, I rarely listen to any rap/ and don't like most rappers-- Is she closed-minded? My sister, who just so happens to be an engineer reads only romance novels--- she buys any and everyone there is, has boxes of them, literally thousands...
    I on the other hand think that reading those "to meet-to part-to meet and live happily ever after" a waste of time - so I guess she is closed-minded too.

It is the same-oh I guess... Everyone except Blacks can have their own asthetic. Bunk.

God, I can just assume what "acting Black" is.

7. Enigma_01

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I shouldn't have said close-minded. But instead should have said They really just don't give things a chance, because they are so wrapped up in their own lives to look around. I realized on 8/15 that I like the artsy thing like film festivals, free concerts from new and upcoming bands. But I don't have any friends to do that with. It's sad I know.

8. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    enigma it is funny u brought this up cause my wife and i have been discussing this issue for weeks now....she too came from a mixed environment and she was privileged to never have encountered any racial incidents from the white people in her environment...she expressed how at times she feels uncomfortable when around large groups of blacks, of course this alarmed me however after much deliberation and attempting to place myself in her shoes i have begun to understand where she was coming from...unfortunately the perception that is given of black life in the black community is usually negative and some of us who haven't had the privilege of growin up n da hood aren't aware of the love and wealth that is a part of it....i have simply challenged my wife to learn more about an environment that she did not come from yet she will forever be associated with, and i too have accepted the challenge of educating myself on the views and opinions of those who have grown up in a privileged environment...so i hope u gathered from a long story that if we educate ourselves and discuss the differences in the environments we come from then we will have more understanding and possibly bridge any gaps that may exists...oneluv