Black People : Groups survey 20 ‘meanest’ cities for homeless

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, Jan 13, 2006.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10823343/

2. roarin1

roarin1 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +28
    ....."And the last shall be first, and the first shall be last."

(Somewhere in the christian bible.)

Now, if this philosophy be True, Then it's probably Reagan, Bush

and their supporter's whom are probably the truly deprived.

However then, where would that leave their "democracy?"

The same democracy that weighs in the balances, these issues?

Hmmm.

ROARIN......

3. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    From what I've seen southern cities tend to be the meanest.
    They don't even let their homeless panhandle on the street.

I KNOW Atlanta is quite cruel to thier homeless.
    Every time I go over to 'lanna I see crowds of homeless people piled up in vacant lots down town.

They also congregate in downtown Houston.

In Detroit, most of the homeless just kick out windows in vacant buildings (and their are pleny of 'em) and squat whereever they can.

Unlike NYC and Philly where they start fires on the street, in Detroit them fools start fires INSIDE THE HOUSE and end up burning the houses down.

Los Anglese had the most interesting homeless I ever seen.
    They seem to come from all over the country just to bum around in So-Cal.

I don't see many homeless in Black and Mexican neighborhoods, they tend to hang out in the mostly white and tourist areas like Hollywood.

I remember walking down the strip one time and saw an old white woman look at me, smiled with only one tooth in her mouth, then straight pulled a slimey chicken wing out of a garbage can and started gnawing on that mug.

I shook my head and kept strolling....past Veitnamese prostitutes and muscle-bound hookers with deep voices....and ran into more homeless people.

All of them we sitting streched across the sidewalk with spreads and quilts over their legs shaking cans.

In San Diego homeless people tend to live in alleys, they aren't seen much on the street.

In Phoenix, most of our homeless wander off into the desert and end up getting KILT (not killed) straight up KILT by them coyotes....lol.

4. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't know about meanest or anything else but the homeless situation up this way and especially in San Fran is ridiculous.......completely ridiculous....

MississippiRed

5. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    MississippiRed....

I feel you on that one, as a teen, I was actually too embarrassed to stand and wait for a bus stop out of fear of being mistaken as "homeless" .As you know in the bay (San Fran), most of the stops have nowhere to sit. In Sac county, I hear a few people were set afire, and severely beaten. No lie.

6. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

Yeah....no doubt...when I first moved out here and was riding the bus it was a trip.....cats sleeping on the bus stop.....washing up in the Wendy's bathroom.....I mean but naked washing up in the sink in Wendy's ......having to step over some of them folk in the Mission.....yeah at times folk mess up the homeless ......what trips me out is homeless folk with dogs.....I used to hit any and all of them up until I caught on to a couple of the hustles some of em run.....I gave this one boy..a couple dollas one day and he walked off ..well I walked on around the block to the sto to get a drank and who do I see at the counter with a wad .....buying some squares...man I started to split him open like seasoned firewood...but just chalked it up to experience........

Red

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Gots to be honest, brother Pan, a lot of homeless folks NEED to be taken forcibly off the streets, because they simply do not belong there among the general population of a city... Many are mentally-ill in and out patients released into the population with no freakin' support system to speak of - and I am not simply talking about violence-prone homeless... I'm talking about folks who CAN be taken advantage of...

For those folks who've got legitimate reasons for being homeless, I feel for them... In NYC, I've been straight told that sleeping in the streets is a far more viable option than sleeping in a shelter... Life in them places can be mad violent, and you gots to protect ya neck 24/7 and a half... Then there's the WORKING HOMELESS, who aren't making enough money to live in this mad expensive city... The city compells them to live in a shelter before they find them decent housing... As there is a LOT of building and rehabbing going on under the current mayor, folks are getting the message that the risk is worth it...

It is a major scandal that in a society that BRAGS and BOASTS about its riches, that there are so many homeless people around the country... I was reading this moring that Los Angeles is he capital of homelessnes, and I'm sure that New York and Chi Town can't be far behind... You know that something corrupt and scandalous is going on when the nations 3 largest and wealthiest cities also contain most of it's homeless... With the Gulf Coast disaster this summer, those numbers will grow, no doubt...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060113/ts_alt_afp/ushomelesslosangeles_060113031853;_ylt=An.v8LnnE71_3AMit7Z1L0zYa7gF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Haaa, they roped ya, huh, RED?(smile!) Yeah, man, these cats maybe mentally-ill but they aint stupid, I guess...(smile!)

I told ya about them panhandlers here in the city... These cats beg all day and night, and when the sun goes down, they got more money than you and i put together(smile!) The city even passed a law against pan handling in the subways, but that don't stop these folks at all...

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I can't disagree with anything you said here.

10. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Well over half of the homeless are Vietnam veterans.....the half that haven't committed suicide.

Most of the boom in homelessness started with the mass buget cuts in social programs that started with the Reagan era emptying mental institutions all over the country and dumping people on the street.

I remember when John Engler (R) was elected governer of Michigan back in 1991.

The man had been in office no more than 2 months when in Feburary he INSTANTLY shut down most of the mental and substance abuse institutions around the state and especially in the Detroit area dumping hundreds of thousands of mentally ill people and dope addicts out on the street.

I'm not talking giving people and thier families 2 weeks notice.....he closed these institutions IMMEDIATELY in ONE NIGHT!

Like Isaiah I believe most of these people need to be forcibly taken in and given proper treatment for thier problems, and giving proper food, clothing, and shelter.

It's a matter of public health and safety.