African Traditional Religion : GROUND RULES

Discussion in 'African Traditional Religion Study Group' started by kemetkind, Sep 20, 2006.

1. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Ground Rules

Our initial purpose is collective spiritual and educational enlightenment.

We will undoubtedly engage in spirited discussion, but we will maintain that discussion with the highest regard and respect for each other.

No belief system is beyond analysis here, and personal assaults of any form are not welcome.

Should our momentum lead us towards it, we may embark on a secondary purpose of an anthology which syncretizes the work to take place here.

With the above purpose in mind, we will make a practice of completing whatever prayer/meditation/libation required to ensure our minds and spirit are aligned prior to posting.

From the collection of tremendous minds here, tremendous deeds can be accomplished.

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I will co-sign on this.

I'd like to add an inscription from a temple in Kemet

This is espcially true of African spiritual systems which are not based on revelations given to one person who indoctrinates the whole world. The ability of our 'Creator to communicate with us is limitless and without confinement of any kind. So an eclectic, non dogmatic approach such as we are about to embark on will in itself put a touch of our common African heritage in everthing we undertake to study.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Kemetkind ... i agree with all that you've said above.

I'd like to add that our home, this community, has high standards in general, when it comes to our interacting in peaceful and respectful manners. In this particular forum, even more will be required of every participant. Consider it a classroom. Be respectful of each other. If you don't do this, you will not be allowed to particpate in this forum, and possibly in this community.

Perhaps all Members that take part in this forum, should sign (post to this thread) indicating that they have read and agree to the Ground Rules? Word is Bond. Just a suggestion.

:heart:

Destee

4. Lyric Genesis

Lyric Genesis Member MEMBER

the arts
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done...

I support and will abide by the ground rules set within this forum and thread, as it pertains to a better understanding of spirtuality and how it relates to us as black folk...

Let the studying and communing of souls begin!!!!

5. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Seems quite limited in my OPINION. How about past African beliefs reaching the New World and practices.

Santaria, Yoruba (now and then), Congo spirituality, New Orleans voo doo, Gullah beliefs (hoo doo), superstitions (past and present) etc.

Spiritual quotes in African languages, etc

If African traditional is just Egyptian civilization then we miss the other GREATER AMOUNT of African derived SPIRITUAL MATTERS.

Even ones that are RIGHT BENEATH our CLASS WINDOWS VIEW of the WORLD.

I have a feeling this will be as DIVIDED as the CHURCH is.

Limited

Oh well.

I am not making any suggesting to ACCOMODATE but anything is better than NOTHING I suppose.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

Brother DustyElbow ... we have only just begun. Brother Kemetkind has made it clear that all texts are welcome for consideration, all one has to do is suggest it.

Brother ... you're throwing salt in the game, and we haven't even started yet.

Does your post to this thread mean you are going to work with us, helping to make this effort be as positive and enlightening as possible, or are you just wanting to give us the gloom and doom you see over the horizon?

I do hope you're going to work with us on this, as we'd love to have your positive participation.

:heart:

Destee

7. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes Dusty, you seem very knowledgeable about various African traditions and your contribution would be more than welcome.

8. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    Agreed.

9. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    The Koran

I would like to add the Koran to our list.

10. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61

Hey DustyElbow...I didn't see this earlier.

Check this post out...it has some texts that pertain the religions you mentioned (yoruba, etc).
    http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=444564&postcount=22

Your point is valid but we can't cover everything at once.

Our process was to brainstorm a list of texts from different belief systems, then choose a few and start studying them.

As we rotate through different belief systems and as more people get involved, I'm sure more texts will be added.

If you have specific texts please add them to the list...eventually we will schedule it in.

Some of the initial texts we're biting off are some heavy hitters, so it will be several months before we get there.

I'll go ahead and start a seperate thread for the listing of African texts...

Hope you join us....

Peace