Black People : GREEK SORORITIES AND FRATERNITIES

I'll ask again, IF community involvement is a requirement of fraternal organizations, with so many chapters nationwide, why is it that their involvement isn't more easily witnessed by the Black nation at-large?

Also, how frequently do these community involvement activities take place and is there evidence that individual members get involved OUTSIDE of a planned event?

Throughout all the discussions that take place here on issues related to the African American community, seldom do I see any mention of Black fraternal organizations being actively engaged or having any impact, positive or negative on said issues. Why do you think that is?

Queenie :spinstar:

Yes they all do,
You dont see them on the national news cause were not a superstar org'. This is our initiative for 2006.
Programs: Overview
The National Program theme for 2002-2006 is "THE SPIRIT OF ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA". The focus is on Education. The five areas included in the National Program and implemented in the Ivy AKAdemy are:

Target I - Education
Target II - The Black Family
Target III - Health
Target IV - Economics
Target V - The Arts

Ivy AKAdemy:

The Ivy AKAdemy serves as a comprehensive center for all the educational and human resources development experiences for most community services programs provided by Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. Participants are youth and adults from the entire community.

The Signature Program of this administration will be "The Ivy Reading AKAdemy." The reading initiative will focus on early learning and mastery of basic reading skills by the end of third grade. All chapters are requested to implement a kindergarten through third grade after school reading initiative. A 2.7 million dollar proposal is currently pending with the United States Department of Education to fund a 3-year nationwide after school demonstration project in low-performing, economically deprived, inner city schools in 16 sites in the continental United States.

The major crisis in American Education today is the inability of our children to read. They enter school lacking the very basic skills to begin the reading process and end up being unable to adequately perform in the academic areas that they will need to successfully compete throughout school and later in the workplace.

www.aka1908.com

and as far as working at large.. people do things because they want to do them. As an aKa we are tought not to bring light to yourselves but to the cause you are working for.

here are some notable ppl that you may not have known was associated with our lovely group of ladies...

Marian Anderson - The first Black woman to sing at the Metropolitan Opera.
Maya Angelou - Renowned novelist and poet (author of the poem Phenomenal Woman).
Angie Brookes - The first female president of the United Nations.
Yvonne Braithwaite-Burke - Former Congresswoman from California and first woman to chair the Democratic National Convention.
Dr. Gwendolyn Calvert Baker - President of the United States Committee for UNICEF
Bebe Moore Campbell - Author of Brothers and Sisters and Your Blues Ain't Like Mine.
Suzette Charles - Miss America, 1984.
Marva Collins -- Founder of her own private school on Chicago's west side.
Ella Fitzgerald - Internationally famous jazz singer.
Zina Garrison-Jackson - Famous tennis player.
Dr. Marilyn Gatson - Assistant Surgeon General.

NNQueen said:
I'll ask again, IF community involvement is a requirement of fraternal organizations, with so many chapters nationwide, why is it that their involvement isn't more easily witnessed by the Black nation at-large?

Also, how frequently do these community involvement activities take place and is there evidence that individual members get involved OUTSIDE of a planned event?

Throughout all the discussions that take place here on issues related to the African American community, seldom do I see any mention of Black fraternal organizations being actively engaged or having any impact, positive or negative on said issues. Why do you think that is?

NNQ

NNQueen said:

We dont wear our involvement on our sleeves. However, those that need to know, solicit us all the time

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back