Black People : GREEK SORORITIES AND FRATERNITIES

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KWABENA, Mar 30, 2006.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Mujambo Family:

I just completed reading some profound statements that Dr. George "G.M." James made in regards to Greek Fraternities and Sororities in his book, Stolen Legacy. I don't exactly have the book on me right now, but he says that it came from Socrates, who teamed up with Alexander the Greek to steal Egyptian Philosophy.

In light of this, I would like to get your thoughts on Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Do yall have any?

KWABENA

2. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    I have never been apart of a fraternity,and possibly never will be.

3. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
  4. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Ooh!! Ooh!! Me!! Me!! :wave:

:D

5. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Man the question is what a person's reasons are for joining......people want to break down the science behind it but for the cats that I know who are in Frats and the ladies in Soros it ain't even like that.......my cousin is an Omega he joined for networking, and for an organization that was doing something in our communities ......Omegas in my hometown and a lot of the South do a lot of good for the kids in our hoods man the Kappas too when I was a kid we used to go to this thang called Kappa sports day where they took cats out of the hoods and tooks to Alcorn and we participated in these games it was fun as hell bruh....College Heights (my neighborhood never won ) we'd have won if they had a grinding contest but it got us out had us talking to old schoolers and cats that had good advice for us man .......so if you joining on of them orgs with thangs like that in mind I don't see nothing wrong with it same with Masons....and I know that's a bad word on here but some of the best men I've ever known who have done more to help me through thangs and get my head right were Masons, both Prince Hall and John G. Jones lodges.....so just like anything else in life man you get out what you put in .........you get in a good org and put good in you get good out.....both in yourself and your community......

Red

6. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    alpha & omega.. the begining and the end

My family is all deltas..
    i pissed my mother off by pledging in where i fit in..
    with the sexy sassy sistahs of aKa.. alpha kappa alkpha inc.
    my great granny on my daddies side was a member and 2 of her daughters..
    so..
    skee weee!
    I personally found it incredibly easy to network..
    in a sorority..
    and its tru..
    i have family everywhere..
    and u kno a sistah likes her hookups!
    shooo.. who u tellin?

7. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

Exactly............I like Deltas but I Love AKAs.......LOL.....

Red

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,127

Why single out greek organizations? There are other groups that fit the criteria. Are they stolen from egypt as well? I belong to a greek and masonic organizations. They are a source of unity for our people. During troubling times, organizations such as these were/are the only source.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I don't belong to any...never felt drawn to it...I'm not a "social butterfly"...but have many friends that are members and some are active and some aren't. It's nots my intent to offend anyone who is a member, so don't take what I'm about to say as a personal reflection on anyone here, but in general, it's always been MY impression that these types of organizations tend to portray themselves as elitists, not grassroots. I try never to be the former and always conscious of and more comfortable among the latter.

I'm sort of different than many of my sisters. Think differently sometimes and socialize and get involved differently. I have a difficult time belonging to any type of organization, including a church, that do a little good on the surface, host a few events a year, but the members keep the same old "drama" going. So much drama until it detracts from what I believe are important issues.

I have tried to "join" other sisters to get more involved in the community. The Coalition of 100 Black Women attracted me and I had the opportunity to become a charter member in my local community some years ago. Again, I got frustrated due to so much in-fighting over trivial differences, I quit and the organization subsequently dissolved. Quite unfortunate too.

I often wonder...with the long history of Black "greek" fraternal organizations, with the "good" that people claim they do in our communities, why I don't see more about them on a national level. Do you have to be a member to be privy to this information?

Queenie :spinstar:

10. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12

I am wondering why come against
    greek organizations that I have been there
    For so many youths entering college
    Dam Kem Poetic a AKA
    You already know what im talking about
    Much Love Sister Poetic