Black Sports : Greatest Fights

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by UBNaturally, Dec 9, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Probably one of the best Heavyweight championship fights...

Muhammad Ali vs. Earnie Shavers:

Runner up to the Ali-Shavers fight...

Mike Tyson vs. Evander Holyfield:

The comparisons between Ali and Tyson being the greatest Heavyweight boxers have remained continuous, but the rarely compared ones were those of their greatest challengers.

Earnie Shavers almost takes out the champ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Evander Holyfield takes out the champ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Earnie Shavers and Evander Holyfield
    upload_2014-12-9_15-34-45.png

But the commercials that were part of the Ali-Shavers film were too nostalgic

2. KPITRL

KPITRL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    They're too many great fights for me to name, however I'll name the most memorable greatest fights to me personally from the 70's, 80's, 90's. Although there were good heavyweight fights, I can't name too many in my earlier childhood that didn't include Ali. I was too young to remember him when he was in his prime in the mid-60's. So I don't remember any of his fights with Liston or Paterson. Although Ali fought well after his prime, I remember him more when he was nearing the end of his prime...at least they say he was.

Ali-Frazier I and Ali-Frazier III.
    Ali-Norton II and Ali-Norton III
    Ali-Foreman
    Leonard-Duran I and Leonard Duran II
    Leonard-Hearns I and Leonard-Hearns II.
    Holmes-Cooney
    Leonard-Hagler
    Hearns-Duran
    Holyfield-Tyson; as already mention.

I may have missed some, but I was trying to name the fights when boxing was really in it's prime, and matches were more evenly matched. With that said, they're were many good fights after these but as I said more and more were becoming lopsided, making it hard for a good champion to find his Frazier or Norton level opponent like Ali did. Nor could they find their Hearns or Duran level opponent like Leonard did. I saw this with Mike Tyson, Roy Jones, and many other popular champions after them. So seeing a Buster Douglas KO Mike Tyson while Tyson was still in his prime was bound to happen sooner or later. Seeing an Antonio Tarver KO Roy Jones after Jones had just won the Heavyweight Championship should have be no surprised either, when you look at the quality opponents these two were fighting for so long before they were really really tested. It appears that Tarver or Hopkins may have been Jones' Frazier, Norton, Duran, or Hearns, the boxers who pushed Ali and Leonard to secured their spots in boxing. For Tyson, it seems like it should have been Lennox Lewis or maybe even Riddick Bowe much earlier to perhaps bring out the best in him. Then on the other hand, you could argue that there wasn't no competition out there for Tyson or Jones. One way or another, there were no more great fight I,II, and III's, in the 90's on up like there were in the 70's and early 80's...not to the degree where they could be labeled my greatest memorable fights.

This is the way I see it anyway. So what's considered the greatest fights will vary.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List