Black People : Grandson Of Malcolm X Speaks

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by chuck, Dec 16, 2010.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Live From Saudi Arabia: an interview with El Hajj Malcolm Shabazz

El Hajj Malik El Shabazz formerly known as Malcolm X, was one of the first muslim Black men, on a world stage from the United States, to make the Hajj to Mecca. This trip was very pivotal in his life, because it gave him new experiences and time to think, after leaving the Nation of Islam after more than a decade of service, where he was the National spokesperson. According to the Autobiography of Malcolm X, it was at this time where he recognized how powerful his voice was, when he was greeted by heads of state from around the world, including many of the revolutionary leaders of the time, as well as he was refused entry by France and Ethiopia. Approximately 4 and half decades later, his grandson, Malcolm Shabazz who is also Muslim working in the service of oppressed people, made his pilgrimage. This is the first interview to be published in the U.S. about his experience.

Minister of Information JR: When you arrived in Medina and Mecca, what were the first things you noticed? What did it feel like?

Malcolm Shabazz: In the name of Allah the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful, I for one have been all over the Middle East; from Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and so forth. And I must say that Medina & Mecca definitely stood apart.

For one, it's a main pillar of Islam, and obligatory upon every single Muslim around the world to at least have the sincere intention to make the holy pilgrimage to the Kaaba in Mecca, Saudi Arabia at least once in their lifetime if they are physically & financially able.

I personally know quite a few people who have been on Hajj, and everyone had spoken of this "holy" experience. I never met a person who expressed disappointment or had something of an ill experience to relay. I know people who came back from Hajj, and after a few weeks, let alone a few months, they were right back to their old ways; they could **** near tell me about the Hajj with an alcoholic beverage in their hand, in the same instance.

Yet, I also know others who have made the pilgrimage, and I can bear witness to the awesomely profound impact that it has had on their lives. It had such a profound impact on my grandfather's life. So I came over here anticipating much. Though not knowing quite exactly what to expect. The most I could say is that my intentions were pure. So before embarking on this journey, I resolved towards devoting my heart to Allah, stripping it of every preoccupation & barrier.

I arrived in Medina on November 5 at approximately 10 minutes before our morning prayer was to begin, which was about 4:55am. One of the things that I immediately noticed was that despite the fact that there were millions upon millions of pilgrims that had all come in to the same place, around the same time and from all over the world, the atmosphere was still so calm and serene. I had never witnessed this many people in one place at the same time, nor do I believe I ever will again unless I'm blessed to return again for Hajj. I kind of felt like I was at the ultimate concert, the exception being that this wasn't a concert for a rapper, singer or any other type of entertainer, rather we were all here for the sake of seeking nearness to Allah.

M.O.I. JR: How were you received? How do people look at young Black men from America?

Malcolm Shabazz: Well, I personally was received quite well for the most part. Though we must also bear in mind that here on earth every place has it's ups & downs, and anywhere you go in this world you will witness that Black people are most generally discriminated against.

However, this prejudice has absolutely nothing to do with Al-Islam. When most people in the Middle East encounter Black people from the States they most likely assume that we are from Nigeria, Sudan or a host of other African countries. Unless they take notice to our American style of dress, the fact that we speak English and so forth. When they find out that one of us is actually from America they become quite curious. Many of them are unaware that there are many Black Muslims in the United States. And all that most of them know of us is what has been portrayed to them of us on television as being entertainers, athletes, criminals and thugs.

It goes to show the power of mainstream media, and how they don't have our best interest at heart. However, I couldn't wholly blame them for their perspectives of us. The way we most often perceive ourselves to be, is the image that will be projected onto others; and what we as Black Amerikkkans generally project onto others are images of ourselves that have been fostered to us, by our oppressors.

Case in point, when our oppressors called us "*******", then we referred to ourselves as such; when our oppressors later came along and told us to call ourselves "Negroes", we began to refer to each other as such; then they later came along and told us that it was more politically correct to refer to ourselves as "African-Americans" and we accepted that, also. Thus, we as a people have the responsibility of collectively standing for something; otherwise falling for anything and continually allowing others to define who we are, for us.

M.O.I. JR: What have been some of the highlights of your Hajj?

Malcolm Shabazz: It was a blessing for me of such a profound magnitude to be afforded the opportunity to worship Allah (God) within the Masjid-e-Quba, which is located between Mecca and Medina, and is the first Masjid ever to be built in the time of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). It is also the first Masjid where Salatul Jama' (Congregational Prayer) was recited. I also offered many prayers within the Masjidun Nabi (The Prophet's Mosque), which was the second Mosque to be built in Medina. This is the city of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) himself, and it was quite humbling to realize that I was actually treading upon the very soil that he once set foot upon as well. This is the first city in the world where Islam was firmly established.

M.O.I. JR: What are you looking forward to?

Friend of my grandfather and President of Islam school of business & finance in Malaysia
    Malcolm Shabazz: My grandfather once said that "The past is not to be dwelt upon, but rather looked to as a road map or compass-in the present-in order to help us successfully navigate into the future". Now at present, and by the will & grace of Allah, I am a revolutionary Muslim who is in service to the people; especially to the masses of down trodden & oppressed.

Though if I have learned anything from my grandmother, Dr. Betty Shabazz, it's that one must first help their self before they could even begin to think about being a savior towards others. So during the most recent stages of my journey I had been busy, the most, with self building, however, at this phase I am more inclined & prepared to work on building more extensively with others. Although it must be kept in mind that the act of enlightening others is dependant upon, and goes hand in hand with the purification of the self.

After a hajji returns from Mecca and Medina, it becomes an obligation for them to convey that which they have brought back with them (self building) through their actions. My speech, actions, manner and disposition must be an example for others. And this truly is the best gift that I can bring back for the people.

M.O.I. JR: What new insights have you had, since you left the United States?

Malcolm Shabazz: Unfortunately wisdom doesn't come with age, but rather with experience; as experience is irrefutably the best of teachers. While knowledge is simply to know-the-ledge through familiarity or awareness, wisdom is that acquired knowledge, tried & tested-through trial, error and tribulation-to bring about the best of understanding.

If it's at all true that we are, somewhat, products of our environments, then I suppose it would explain my current circumstances, the events which lead up to these points, and why I had never been as I was in thought, and through action. Though it is not necessary for me to run down a list of ills that may have affected me in one way, or another, I have quite often been placed in many undesirable situations, yet I alone, made the decisions which produced the consequent outcomes.

We often find ourselves in situations where we wish that we could turn back the hands of time, to go back, and do things differently, though time-travel isn't a reality. So, the only remedy is to be as conscious as possible in the present, in order to successfully navigate into the future.

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Is there a link to this video/interview that we can follow and check it out?

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

.......Actually, and FYI chuck, links are required, period :).

4. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    True Brother Chuck...Please post only a snippet and provide a link to the original article.

Thank you in advance!

:heart:

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    I wish the young man and his mother well,
    but current history,
    since the 70s has proven that the Black liberation struggle in the Unted Sates is definatly not aristocratic

and the children of Dr Clarke, Dr King, Marcus Garvey,
    Percy Sutton and Basil Patterson have made that quite clear

6. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    "So, the only remedy is to be as conscious as possible in the present, in order to successfully navigate into the future".

7. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Good afternoon, elder bruh...

But, the link wasn't working, and I just reposted the text, etc.

:em0200:

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    CTJ:

Please forgive this one exception...

I will keep in mind what the normal procedure is from this point on...

:fyi:

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

.......Give us the link anyway chuck, someone may be able to help, its invaluable information, for real.

10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Chuck:

It was and is inspiring that the grandson reflects the same candor and honesty etc., which also characterized why we can to admire and emulate his grandfather...

I. e., from father to daughter to grandson, etc., there is obviously a heritage etc.being passed on, and one which leads me to continue to weigh the pros and cons of their life experiences etc., too...

Both his mother and young brother Malcolm Shabazz did or do see the people outside of these shores up close and personal, whereas too oftentimes our conceptions/perceptions/etc. tend to be limited/limiting as well as from a safe distance...

Instead both were and are kinda sorta are far too well aware of who are friends and foes are, i. e., as regards the Muslim converts etc. around the globe, etc.

Also do keep that in mind as well...

:em0200: