Grandparenting

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by vj57, Jun 14, 2004.

1. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I have two co-workers who have become grandparents for the first time and they can talk about those darlings for hours!

One of the ladies and her husband have lost their minds over this grandson. She said that there's nothing as rewarding and loving as holding your first grandchild. He stayed with them when he was first born because his parents (her daughter and son in law) were getting their home built. The hardest part was when the home was complete and they moved out.

She said that when her husband (granddad) walks into the house, the first thing he wants is the grandson.

I see the love that grandparents have for their grandkids. My dad has lost his mind over my daughter. She's now 24 but the love is still there. She adores him and takes out time to visit him. My dad is very ill and a couple years ago we almost lost him. Thought my daughter would go insane with grief. But he's still here and they are just crazy about each other.

My son is devoted to his grandmother. She adores him.

I look forward to that day. I keep saying that I won't be babysitting because I will be traveling, but I know once I see that grandbaby one day, I will lose it! I will be a grandfool in love (smile)>

Any grandparents in da house here? Share your stories of love.

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Sister vj57, thank you for starting this thread and giving me the opportunity to join the other grandparents (or grandfools :) ) that you mentioned.

I've had the greatest fortune of being a grandmother for 41/2 years now and I have discovered something so beautiful that it's almost beyond words to describe. I have a "mini-me" :lol: and she brings joy to my heart in ways that amaze me every day.

In her, this woman child, I see generations of people who preceded her. She's a very wise child, almost beyond her years and through her I discovered the links between my daughter, myself and my mother--FOUR GENERATIONS. Her birth was not an easy one but she waited patiently for the doctors to figure out that she needed a little help into the world. When she finally arrived, her eyes were wide open and she was so calm about it. The only woman child born in the wee hours of the morning that day out of a dozen births, she was the only one in the nursery that lay wide awake, as though being born rejuvenated her. To this day she doesn't like to sleep! :lol:

I can honestly say that there is nothing I wouldn't do for her or her mother--my only child. She brought a smile to her great grandfather's face as he lay dying two years ago and has helped to soothe my mother's spirit in the wake of his death. I will always be thankful to her for that. She loves to talk and has a lot to say...(I wonder who she takes after there? :look: )

She's very precious to say the least and she's sensitive to the feelings of others. She loves to learn new things and knows how to entertain herself without the assistance of others. She's affectionate and absolutely adores to cuddle with you. She's generous with her kisses but knows they are special and should only be given to people we tell her it's okay to give them to. You can't be too careful.

Like you, I too announced to my daughter that I wouldn't be a babysitter and will let her know how to reach me when I travel. But that ended the day my side-kick was born. So now my goal is to travel with her and take her to as many places around the world as I'm blessed to be able to. What better way to spend one's "golden" years!

Peace,
    Queenie :heart:

3. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Saw the funniest card for Mothers' Day. A grandmother was sitting on top of a mountain and her grandson was a mountain climber, coming to visit her.

Inside it mentioned how he loved her and valued her good cooking and loved listening to her stories and wisdom. But the funny part: IT'S THE KID YOU BIRTHED THAT I DON'T LISTEN TO.

Now, that's a mouthful right there. Grandparents have a better rapport with their grandkids. They tend to listen to the grandparents, as I well know.

My dad would fuss at me about not having the proper equipment for my car (like oil, jumpers, etc.). And I fussed at my daughter for not having jumpers for that ole clunker she had years ago. She would get stranded without jumpers and I was afraid for her. One day she called me, 100 miles away, as IF I was coming to give her a jump.

I mentioned this to my dad and he just said to her, "Baby, make sure you get some jumpers next time ok?" Sweet talked her but yelled at me...not fair! :)

My mother was no joke when it came down to her grandkids. My sister had an abusive boyfriend and when she heard that he had threatened to beat my niece, let me tell you, she got a darn knife so big that it looked like a machete and had it at his throat! You don't touch grandkids and I know you would put a serious hurting (or even a killing) on someone for harming your side kick.

My mother's main concern before she died was her "baby", my granddaughter. She watched my daughter while I worked and taught her so much. My daughter knew where things were located in the supermarket when she was just three years old. That's why my dad took her...he would pick up the wrong thing and my daughter would tell him, "Pop Pop, Mom Mom don't use that kind of flour!"

This woman from my job now has a large portrait of that grandbaby on her wall. She said he is indeed the joy in their lives (her and hubby).

I see how these grandparents are just mush when it comes down to the grandbabies.

But one thing that bothers me is when parents feel that it is the OBLIGATION of the grandparents to sit home and raise grandbabies. I know a lot of women who are greatgrandparents and raising those kids. I worked with a woman who was in her 70s, should had been retired from her job and was raising grands and greatgrands. Very irresponsible children and grandchildren. I don't think God had this in mind for grandparents, and my kids BETTER be capable of raising their OWN kids, but you best believe this: WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH RUNS TO GRANDMOM!

4. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yo VJ57 Tight Post Mama, keep em comming!

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    happy to be a grandpa ! these darling children i look for to embrace daily
    it's a beautiful thing but as grandparents we do for our grand children out
    of love and be supportive but we also don't have to take on full duities .....