Black People : Government Cheese

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I don't remember us ever having any government cheese, or any government provided foods, when I was growing up. We were poor, and I'm sure we qualified, but I have no recollection of that in our home (and I did most of the cooking). I don't know what was up with my Momma, but she never gave us any of that.

I've heard other folk talking about the government cheese, some saying it took 3 days for it to melt ... lol ... while others testified of it being the best cheese they ever ate! That's interesting, that different people have different experiences with it, yet it was all suppose to be the same. Hmmmm ... maybe it wasn't.

Were there other foods, besides cheese, that the government gave out?

What prompted them doing this? Surely it couldn't have just been that folk were hungry, because folk are hungry now too.

Anyway ... i'm just feeling like talking about the government cheese ... surface issues surrounding it, and beyond.

Please share.

:heart:

Destee

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    wow,goverment cheese,that takes me way back,yes my sister my mom got it and the powdered milk and the big ugly can of meat too,in the fifties it was hard for a black woman raising a child alone[and god bless all those strong black women]i was a little dude but i remember us getting that stuff and my mom being the great cook that she was made it taste pretty good too so we survived and after a while she married the man who became my stepfather and we got off of the goverment bandwagon but my dear mother would never let her kids go hungry and i never did...let you in on a little secret destee,that cheese wasn't half bad,hahahaha.

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I don't know much about it either.

There was a block cheese my mother would use and it made the best Macaroni & Cheese you ever had, though! lol

We weren't on welfare or food stamps either, but maybe my mother got some from somebody.

I do remember powered milk as a child, though; and I don't know where my mama got it from. But, when her money was low, she would break out that powered milk in a minute! :lol:

Oooh, Destee, you have brought back some other memories for me!

This wasn't welfare food, but do you remember "CHARLES CHIPS?"---They were Potato Chips/Cookies in a brown can....They even delivered to your door! ---They came thru the neighborhood like the Ice Cream Truck! :lol:

I'm not sure if the company is still in business now...

[​IMG]

4. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +144
    Peanut butter!

I remember powdered milk and gubment cheese well. Even the canned meech (meat).

We weren't on welfare/stamps, but Big Mama didn't mind sharing.

Cover the cheese with saran wrap and then foil to keep it from hardening.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    i grew up on it

6. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    GREW UP ON THE CHEESE, POWDERED EGGS, BUTTER, POWDERED MILK, CANNED MEAT ( string pork ) , AND PEANUT BUTTER.

Didn't try melting the cheese. Ate it by the chunk! It was cut thick and was hard enough, chewing and swallowing the chunks. All of it was delicious.

They claim they never stopped. Redirected the products. Links below

One requirement the welfare people made base criteria, was the father had to abandon the family. Or be gone.
    They asked my mother also to give up some of us to foster homes.
    That is one of the reasons she discontinued taking the help.

====================
    Commodity Foods - Commodity Supplemental Food Program

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) administers several programs that distribute commodity foods, ... Typical foods include canned and dried fruits, fruit juice, canned vegetables, dry beans, meat, poultry, fish, rice, oats, grits, cereal, peanut butter, nonfat dried milk, dried egg mix, pasta products,

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Ca-De/Commodity-Foods.html

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) administers several programs that distribute commodity foods, which are foods that the federal government has the legal authority to purchase and distribute in order to support farm prices.

The first commodity distribution program began during the Great Depression of the 1930s, when it was known as the Needy Family Program. This was the main form of food assistance for low-income people in the United States until the Food Stamp Program was expanded in the early 1970s.

The USDA purchases food and makes it available to state agencies and Indian tribal organizations, along with funds for administrative costs.

The commodity foods provided to participants do not provide a complete diet , but are designed to supplement the nutritional needs of participants and may include canned fruit juice, canned fruits and vegetables, farina, oats, ready-to-eat cereal, nonfat dry milk, evaporated milk, egg mix, dry beans, peanut butter, canned meat, poultry or tuna, dehydrated potatoes, pasta, rice, cheese, butter, honey, and infant cereal and formula. Distribution sites make packages available on a monthly basis.

As of 2003, the program operates in thirty-two states and the District of Columbia. An average of more than 410,000 people participated in the program each month in 2002, including more than 337,000 elderly people and more than 73,000 women, infants, and children.

Internet Resources
    U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. "Nutrition Program Fact Sheets." Available from
    http://www.fns.usda.gov

U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. "Food Distribution Programs." Available from
    http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd

U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. "Healthy Eating in Indian Country Fliers." Available from
    http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd

7. WARRIOR

WARRIOR BAMN - By Any Means Necessary PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +298
    I HAD THE CHEESE ALSO....A LONG BLOCK WRAPPED IN WHITE PAPER , IN A BROWN BOX.....

YES....I REMEMBER

WARRIOR

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Sister Destee,

Here is more current information about the cheese:

The Bush administration unveiled its plan today to revive the vintage Reagan-era program of the giveaway of free "government cheese"-- but this time with a twist: In the vein of delivering massive tax cuts for the wealthy, the cheese will be provided only to the grossly obese.
    http://www.glossynews.com/artman/publish/gov-cheese.shtml

9. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I'm Glad all you guys are still living after eating it.

That's my "BIG" opinion!

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    that is, if you call this stuff living

Users found this page by searching for:

1. government cheese during the depression