Science and Technology : Google Maps Swinging By To Take Pics of Your House

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MsInterpret, Jun 10, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    So last night my daughter was showing me Google Maps (Google StreetView), cause it entertains her mind, and she was like
    "Look Mom." And showed me a picture of her dad's house and my parent's house. And it wasn't a satellite picture...no, it was the actual picture like right in front of the driveway. And it got me really disturbed..

I'm not sure if it's against any privacy laws, but it sure doesn't seem cool to take pictures of a person's house w/out their permission.

Anyone else find a picture of their actual house on Google Earth (not by sat)?

2. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    You can have your house removed from Google Maps Street View. Here’s how (see video):
    1. Go to maps.google.com.
    2. Locate your house by typing its address into the search box and pressing Enter.
    3. Click the red push-pin marker representing your house on the map.
    4. Click Street View.
    5. Adjust Google Maps Street View by clicking the left and right arrows on the Street View image until you see your house.
    6. Click the Report a Problem link at the bottom-left corner of the Street View image.
    7. Click Privacy Concerns, My House and I Have Found a Picture of My House and Would Like It Removed.
    8. Type your privacy concerns into the Please Describe the Problem box.
    9. Type your email address into the Email Address box.
    10. Type the characters that you see in the picture into the Word Verification box.
    11. Click the Submit button at the bottom of the Web page.
      [​IMG]
    An investigation into Google’s accidental practice of collecting identity information has been opened in France, Germany, Spain, as well as in the U.S. Google claims that it will delete the sensitive information as soon as possible, but in the meantime, victims remain helpless.
    http://www.sileo.com/google-street-map-remove-house/

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    This is rather creepy. I don't remember listing my address when signing up for any websites so how does Google Maps know my location under this name rather than my legal name?

Perhaps they can track info from the phone number I used to verify my Google accounts. Or my wireless account.

The iphone and other mobile devices are GOS locators. See how this works in reverse. You may not be able to locate "them" but they surely can locate you (ironically when I typed in my legal name no address came up). That's weird!

4. THE-GOD

THE-GOD Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128
    Everybody's address is in it, unless you live in the backwoods of nowhere and there GPS system doesn't track it.

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Exactly and even some people in the "backwoods" are in the system. This has been going on for a while now.

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Not exactly true. I typed in names only of some people in my address book and their addresses did not come up. So everyone as you say might be in the system but they don't all match with their addresses.

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Even then, it does not explain how my legal name which is a matter of public and financial record does not show in Google Earth's results but my "pen name" does.

8. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,899
    This is the new normal, only problem it's not new. It's just right in front of your face now.

This is the matrix, this is your life inside the matrix.

There are no accidents or coincidences.

9. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Google Street View privacy concerns

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Privacy advocates have objected to the Google Street View feature, pointing to photographs that show people leaving strip clubs, protesters at an abortion clinic, sunbathers inbikinis, cottagers at public parks, people picking up prostitutes and people engaging in activities visible from public property in which they do not wish to be photographed and have published online.[1][dead link] Google maintains that the photos were taken from public property. However, this does not take into account that the Street View cameras take pictures from an elevated position, enabling them to look over hedges and walls designed to prevent some areas from being open to public view. Before launching the service, Google removed photos of domestic violence shelters, and it allows users to flag inappropriate or sensitive imagery for Google to review and remove.[2] When the service was first launched, the process for requesting that an image be removed was not trivial.[3] Google changed its policy to make removal more straightforward,[4] but has since removed the option to request removal of an image, replacing it by an option to request blurring of an image. Images of potential break-ins, sunbathers, and individuals entering adult bookstores have, however, remained active and these images have been widely republished.[5]
    In Europe, the creation of Google Street View may not be legal in all jurisdictions. Some European countries have laws prohibiting the filming without consent of an individual on public property for the purpose of public display.[6]

United States [edit]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Google Car in Hunters Point, Queens on June 4, 2009

Google delayed the release of its Street Views of the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area following concern expressed by theUnited States Department of Homeland Security that some of the images taken might be of security-sensitive areas.[7]
    The Department of Defense has banned Google from publishing Street View content of U.S. Military bases and asked Google to remove existing content of bases. Google has complied with this order.[8]
    Aaron and Christine Boring, a Pittsburgh couple, sued Google for invasion of privacy. Street View made a photo of their home available online, and they claimed that this diminished the value of their house, which they had chosen for its privacy.[9] They lost their case in a Pennsylvania court. "While it is easy to imagine that many whose property appears on Google's virtual maps resent the privacy implications, it is hard to believe that any – other than the most exquisitely sensitive – would suffer shame or humiliation," Judge Hay ruled.[10] Since then the decision was reversed in part and on December 1, 2010 Magistrate Judge Bissoon ruled that Google is an intentional trespasser[11] and the company was ordered to pay $1 to the Plaintiffs.

[Did they only just get a dollar??!!!! LOL]

In September 2007, a Street View vehicle took a picture of a house on fire in Gibson, Arkansas.[12] In August 2008, the people who lived in the house asked Google to remove this picture.
    Some cities in the United States where all streets are privately owned have asked Google to remove Street View images because their consent was not given. North Oaks, Minnesota may have been the first. In that case, Google complied.[13]
    In 2010, the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) stating that Google's admitted downloading of private wi-fi data constituted a violation of the US Wiretap Act and the Federal Communications Act. The FTC decided not to take up the complaint.[14]
    Documents subsequently obtained by EPIC under Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) indicated, despite a request from Congress, that the FTC did not examine Google's data from private wireless networks before dropping the case.[15] EPIC filed an administrative appeal with the FTC, challenging its decision, and in May 2011 EPIC filed a suitagainst the FTC for access to the documents on which the FTC's decision was based.

United Kingdom [edit]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Opel Astra Street View Car in Southampton, Hampshire

In the first days of launch the UK service drew criticism due to privacy.[22] Images were found of a man leaving a sex shop, a man vomiting and another man being arrested. Some images were removed including those of areas around Downing Street.[23][24]
    The service drew criticism in Belfast that it represented a "reckless" security risk, particularly for showing the exteriors of army bases and police stations so soon after the killing of two soldiers in the 2009 Massereene Barracks shooting, and a police officer.[25]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Street_View_privacy_concerns

10. THE-GOD

THE-GOD Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128
    Do those people live in the backwoods of no where?