Black People : GOOD White Friends?

MarchoftheLions said:
There's too much generalization going around these days. I'll put it like a GOOD white friend once told me..."How would you like to be blamed for every action or mistake made by someone you're neither connected with nor have ever met."

I for one am tired of being blamed for every bad apple in the community. I'm tired of being the one that robbed the Exxon last night. I'm tired of being the one that sold cocaine on the corner across the street from the neighborhood playground. I'm sick and tired of being responsible for any action I did not take part in.

first off as a whole we do not benifit from drug dealers, or thieves. however your good white "friend", benefits daily from his white skin, and the enormous wealth his white ancestors stole from people of color through out the world. I would be leary of that "good white friend". What you said he said sounds to me like a typical, slavery or jim crow didnt matter get over it-mentality. sounds like the typical white boy trivializing the Afrikan hollacaust. Jim crow ended in the 1960's-thats not that long ago, watch those "white friends" I mean if you ain't guilty why you need an excuse. a true friend would have said, "you know my ancestors were some real bastarrds!"!

I really didn't know what a white person was until I was about eleven years old when I went to live with an uncle, who lived in an integrated community, that was in 1959. I never had any real suspicions about them, just the knowledge of the history that was taught to me. I went to a mostly white school during those days, and no one ever mistreated me because I was black, not to my face anyway. I went back home to the "hood" after about two years to my predominantly black school, where I had only black friends.

After finishing high school, I went into the military where I met many white kids of various backgrounds, I made many white friends during those days, because I was less inhibited about race than my black friends were. I even went to all white clubs to see what was happening there, nothing ever happened.

I entered college in 1973 and on the very first day I met a white guy from North Carolina, he looked real country, especially in that setting, an HBCU. He was a veteran also, we talked and became close friends, I helped him through college, and I am the god father to his son, who is part Philipino. He remains my closest friend to this day, even after thirty four years, we've never had an argument. His mother and father both worked for a black owned company, and taught him respect. There are some cultural differences, because we were raised in different areas, me city and he country. It's strange but true. I also have very good white friends on the job, my colleagues are ninety percent white, there are a few white bigots there, but they are not a real problem, I've had to handle a few of them over the years. I've actually had more trouble with my black colleagues, jealousy etc.

We all need to broaden our horizons, to include not only whites, but hispanics, asian etc., it can be a very enlighening experience. We are not the majority in terms of culture, history, power or economics. Joining forces with others, through friendships, will help us advance beyond the dismal existence we now have.

Regarding continental Africans and their comfort level with white people, the fact is that most continental Africans I've met here or in Africa do NOT "demonize" white people. They don't shun them or "hate" them and if you go to a lot of parties held by Africans--weddings, baby showers, graduation events, receptions, christenings, you will usually see some white people who may be their college classmates, white co-workers, white neighbors, etc. In my socializing with Africans, I've rarely been to any of those events and not seen white people in attendance.

Instead of demonizing other people, much of our African American problems could be solved if we just loved ourselves. If you love and appreciate yourself and your group, there is no need to spend energy shunning or demonizing other people because you are always going to look out for and protect yourself and your group.

Therious said:
I certainly cannot argue with your lifes experience. Do the people you met in college represent the whole of black folks in Afrika? I have never been to Afrika, I have heard other people say the same thing about their experiences with those Afrikans who are always around whites.

However I believe if you around the u.s. you will find the same, people who date or only hang around whites. Then you will find people that don't care to be around whites, I would venture to say it is the same around the world. we all have different personalities. Were those Afrikans in college not the ones who could afford it? so would they not be the equivilant to the black brainwashees of america who hate them selves and act white? that does not represent the whole of black americans.

So these leaders are simply greedy black people, who work with greedy whites correct? I know not all people are one way, but it has been my life experience, that it is always a good policy not to let whites in.

I am not sure I overstand you, you say you didn't like attending parties with to many whites, yet you protested along side whites.

Are you saying that whites are responsible for ending apartheid?? I disagree with that if that is your sentiment.

While you were in Afrika the only people who were friendly to you were whites? Not to put words in your mouth I am just not reading you clear.

If that is the case then why not just put whites back in power?

No, brother Therious, the people I met in college did not represent "the whole of black folks in Afrika", and for that matter, none of the Black folks I have met here in the united states represent "the whole of Black folks in Afrika" either.

But, s I stated, many of them are diplomats and/or business leaders in the forementioned countries, which means they DO have a "constituency."

I am not going to generlize and say these Africans were plagued with "self-hatred". Thats really an old, tired argument that Im not buying.

Many of these same Africans were from "middle class" families. Eddie Mondalane, Jr's father was the FOUNDER of the liberation movement FRELIMO.

Many of the south African's such as Lebo Morake, were assisted by folks such s Bill Cosby, who helped Lebo and others such as Albert Mariri, get exposure on shows such as ""A Different World" which featured several episodes where they were featured leading the Hillman students in anti-apartheid protest. Lebo, later went on to win a grammy for the soundtrack to the Lion King, working with Paul Simon.

Protesting with whites, which is a political action, and partying with whites, which is a social situation are quite different. So, I dont see how you or anyone else could equate the two as one and the same.

Now, you label these folks "greedy blacks", even though some such as Eduardo Mondlane was ASSASSINTED while leading a liberation movement.

Actually, I dont see how the folks I am referring to were "greedy" when, for the most part, they worked tirelessly ORGANIZING and MOBILIZING people to end apartheid in South Africa, and, this included material aid campaigns sending clothing and other items such as canned food to refugee camps.

Finally, I did not say at any point whites were "responsible for ending apartheid". However, I know plenty of white folks who participated in the ARMED STRUGGLE against the apartheid regime, and also in support of liberation movements in Angola, Mozambique and Namibia, and that is more than I can say for a lot of Black folks who continually are "talking LOUD and saying NOTHING".

And who have a track record of doing even less....

mrron said:
I really didn't know what a white person was until I was about eleven years old when I went to live with an uncle, who lived in an integrated community, that was in 1959. I never had any real suspicions about them, just the knowledge of the history that was taught to me. I went to a mostly white school during those days, and no one ever mistreated me because I was black, not to my face anyway. I went back home to the "hood" after about two years to my predominantly black school, where I had only black friends.

After finishing high school, I went into the military where I met many white kids of various backgrounds, I made many white friends during those days, because I was less inhibited about race than my black friends were. I even went to all white clubs to see what was happening there, nothing ever happened.

I entered college in 1973 and on the very first day I met a white guy from North Carolina, he looked real country, especially in that setting, an HBCU. He was a veteran also, we talked and became close friends, I helped him through college, and I am the god father to his son, who is part Philipino. He remains my closest friend to this day, even after thirty four years, we've never had an argument. His mother and father both worked for a black owned company, and taught him respect. There are some cultural differences, because we were raised in different areas, me city and he country. It's strange but true. I also have very good white friends on the job, my colleagues are ninety percent white, there are a few white bigots there, but they are not a real problem, I've had to handle a few of them over the years. I've actually had more trouble with my black colleagues, jealousy etc.

We all need to broaden our horizons, to include not only whites, but hispanics, asian etc., it can be a very enlighening experience. We are not the majority in terms of culture, history, power or economics. Joining forces with others, through friendships, will help us advance beyond the dismal existence we now have.

show me some proof that us mixing with others will help us. that has been the policy of blacks for thousands of years and you see what happened. why do you think asians, arabs, whites have more power? because they keep it in the family.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back