Black Entertainment : "Good Times" as Minstrel Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black and White Americans in the 40s thought that they were the freest people in the world. To many it didn't make sense for White Americans to think that but it definitely didn't make sense for Black Americans to think that, until you realize that media can control your thoughts because, as we know, we are limited by our senses and inundating our senses with falsehoods and injustices will corrupt our sense of truth and justice. Is that an unreasonable concept to you?

What is the source of your information?

My Black parents and others like them in their community DEFINITELY didn't think the way you claim! You want to know how I KNOW this? I was there! I lived in their house and heard the conversations. I was born and raised under Jim Crow and there was no Black person in MY community that thought the way you claim. Are you SERIOUS!?!

You're starting to make reckless statements with no sound basis of fact to support them. Why do you continuously try to demean the intelligence of our people? You're talking about our ancestors and that includes my parents and other people's parents who you can't speak for. Please, PROVE to me that Black Americans in the 40s thought they were the freest people in the world! Stop generalizing and provide us with FACTS. And guess what? Even IF some did, they don't represent my reality.

People here aren't stupid and your reckless claims insult our intelligence. We understand the impact and influence of the media, what you state about it is not NEWS. Some of us just don't agree with the points you are making on this particular TOPIC. If you've exhausted all of your arguments about this, maybe it's time to be silent.

Black and White Americans in the 40s thought that they were the freest people in the world. To many it didn't make sense for White Americans to think that but it definitely didn't make sense for Black Americans to think that, until you realize that media can control your thoughts because, as we know, we are limited by our senses and inundating our senses with falsehoods and injustices will corrupt our sense of truth and justice. Is that an unreasonable concept to you?

Look, I personally know that many members here will try to denounce another member whose views they disagree with by accusing them of being a white person PRETENDING to be Black....I KNOW this because it's been said of ME numerous times by various members here.....even BY YOU as you jumped on the "band wagon" with some of them. ---But, in spite of those false accusations, even with no picture of myself, just by my posts of examples of MY KNOWLEDGE of the BLACK EXPERIENCE even many of my accusers have had to grudgingly admit/agree that I am a BLACK WOMAN; and it's been obvious that I KNOW what I'm talkin' bout from the perspective of a BLACK woman in my age range.

But, I swear, more-and-more, you sound like a white boy.....even your YOUNG AGE doesn't account for the statements you just made here.....Yes, I'm much older than you; but even a Black man in his 20s or 30s would know BETTER than this MESS you just said!

You see, ORAL TRADITION is a large part of AFRICAN AMERICAN culture, inherited from our African ancestors...and so, even ASIDE from BLACK HISTORY learned in SCHOOL, Black families in the U.S. passed down stories of their own histories and told of the lives, times and struggles their ancestors lived through.

So, even a YOUNG BLACK MAN would KNOW that NO BLACK AMERICANS IN THE 1940S" would have EVER thought that they were "FREE!" ----Yes, WHITE AMERICANS were FREE; but so-called BLACK AMERICANS were FIGHTING FOR THEIR FREEDOM!

...even W.E.B. DuBois and the "TALENTED TENTH" knew they were NOT "FREE AMERICANS!"

So, Imma give you a li'l BLACK HISTORY!>>>

LONG BEFORE MARTIN in '63, in the 1940s, A. Philip Randolph, a BLACK CIVIL RIGHTS leader and the BROTHERHOOD OF SLEEPING CAR PORTERS, started a "MARCH ON WASHINGTON MOVEMENT" which never panned out as Martin's did; but he was there in '63, emotionally happy to finally see HIS "DREAM" actualized.

...All through the 40s and 50s, the NAACP, Thurgood Marshall, Randolph, RUBY BRIDGES, the "LITTLE ROCK NINE," and countless other BLACK PEOPLE were FIGHTING for their RIGHTS as AMERICANS!

And as for MEDIA in the 40s and 50s, MOST Americans, BLACK and WHITE, didn't even HAVE TVs in their homes!....MOST Americans got their news from the RADIO and NEWSPAPER.

And BLACK PEOPLE COUNTERED WHITE MEDIA with OUR OWN radio stations and newspapers!

...So, the BOTTOM LINE is I DON'T BELIEVE YOU.

I do NOT believe that any "BLACK NATIONALIST ELDER" ever told you those things about GOOD TIMES!

I think you just MADE THAT UP in an attempt to SUPPORT YOUR VIEWS HERE!.....as if your "Black Nationalist Elder" was would lend CREDENCE to and CONVINCE me and others that GOOD TIMES was a "MINSTREL SHOW!"

Noooo, your statements HERE have THOROUGHLY made you look like an IMPOSTER!

No, you're not understanding what's being communicated. The house could have been more lively, colorful, decorated. It's just drab walls and drab everything.

I grew up in "Poor Urban Black" life, but I had family photos on the walls, paintings of Black scenes and families, and family awards or religious proverbs. The absence of all this is what's meant by "cold decorative sense." It's just bland--like Florida took no care or concern in having a beautiful home--with what she has.

You're talking about a broken chair leg as if I grew up with a maid or something. I had a three legged chair in my room for a long while. But I also have a few trinkets on the wall to say someone lives here.

And I'm talkin' bout old, raggedy furniture in the LIVING ROOMS of POOR people. --not just a broken chair in a bedroom.

Moreover, the "ABSENCE of a DECORATIVE SENSE" like what you and your "Black Nationalist Elder" decree is relative to the LEVEL of POVERTY.....Some families in the PROJECTS had some level of decoration and others did NOT.

....POOR PEOPLE can't afford NEW FURNITURE or DECORATIONS...You get what you can at second-hand stores and picked off the CURB from what other people have thrown away.

...POOR PEOPLE PATCH-UP the old/raggedy furniture they've got.

....They put blankets and old pillows INSIDE a couch or chair because the SPRINGS and the stuffing are worn out!

....They put furniture coverings or even SHEETS over them when the fabric is stained/ripped.

....And, as for the WALLS, in apartments, RENTAL AGREEMENTS stipulate about HOLES in the walls....So, putting up PICTURES, MIRRORS and other DECORATIONS is also a hesitant venture, oft-times. ---HOLES in the WALLS comes outta your DEPOSIT and/or are against the RULES for PUBLIC HOUSING.

Black and White Americans in the 40s thought that they were the freest people in the world.

that is top 10 for the most ridiculous statements on this board...of all time.... asinine award please....

wow...now i see why brother info be givin it to you...lol

one love
khasm

Ever seen the Denzil Washington featured film 'Devil In A Blue Dress'? Of course, back then, blacks who had survived white racism elsewhere, then lived in abandoned enclaves of white movie mainstays afterwards, were better off, though not better than black folks less well off, everywhere else...

You don't can't apply our standards to what folks were about, way back when, bruh...FYI...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back