Black People : gold medalist & outspoken Darfur activist has his visa revoked by the Chinese

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SPEAKFREEDOMnet, Aug 6, 2008.

1. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

SPEAKFREEDOMnet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +147
    "I am saddened not to be able to attend the Games. The Olympic Games represent something powerful: that people can come together from around the world and do things that no one thought were possible. However, the denial of my visa is a part of a systemic effort by the Chinese government to coerce and threaten athletes who are speaking out on behalf of the innocent people of Darfur." full article

Imagine how poweful it would be if all the African athletes decided to use the olympics to make a statement. for example what would happen if the U.S. basketball team alone refuse to play any more games and held a unified press conference expressing concerns about our people the world over?

Of course ya'll remember these brothers: Tommy Smith & John Carlos

Ahhh never mind...i just remembered how much money would be on the line.:bye:

2. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    I don't think it has anything to do with Darfur, because it was recently in the news that Blacks would be getting banned from China during the Olympic games.

3. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

Ratings:
    +147
    sincerly trying to understand your statement?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but the article seems to suggest it is related to Darfur. besides the guy in question is white.
    Am I missing it brother Knowledge Seed? help me out.:toasts:

4. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    I'm still trying to figure out what Darfur has to do with China.

5. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

Ratings:
    +147
    Military relationship remains troubling. Two studies released in 2007 by well-respected organizations have fueled concerns that weapons from China are being used against the people of Darfur, and that China is not doing enough to prevent such usage. Also, in the spring of 2007, China indicated its desire to further its military relationship with Sudan “in every sphere.” facts to consider

This seems to be at the heart of it. China has joined the band wagon of exploiting Africa's resources at the expense of African unity and life.

Its seems safe to assume the banning of the athlete, who is a well known "outspoken Darfur activist", was China's way of protecting it's investment. In other words, why take the chance of having this guy using the olympic platform, with the world watching, to expose China (in China) for it's role in the Genocide taking place in Dafur.

What do you think?

6. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    reminds me of the way the NBA did my man Craig Hodges back in '92.......