Black Spirituality Religion : God Is No Respecter of Persons -Sekhemu

ifasehun

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 11, 2003
I.
it would be a great exxageeration to imply that the majority of black in the world are over their issues of skin, hair and gender issues created by slavery.

II.
if someone controls your knowledge of the religious options and places before you options that are not of your origin. and associates options of your origin with satanism or paganism or idolotry they are in essence - CONTROLLING your religious options.

In time the control does not have to be so obvious. And in time the longing for other options ceases. Leaving a person to unknowingly follow the will of a master long dead and gone.

Proof Follows Below:

a. Willie Lynch - 1712
Gentlemen:

I greet you here on the bank of the James River in the year of our Lord one thousand seven
hundred and twelve. First, I shall thank you the Gentlemen of the Colony of Virginia for bringing
me here.

I am here to help you solve some of your problems with slaves. Your invitation reached me
on my modest plantation in the West Indies where I have experimented with some of the newest
and still the oldest methods for control of slaves. Ancient Rome would envy us if my program is
implemented. As our boat sailed south of the James River, named for our illustrious King, whose
version of the Bible we cherish, I saw enough to know that your problem is not unique. While
Rome used cords of wood as crosses for standing human bodies along its old highway in great
numbers, you are here using the tree and rope on occasion.

I caught the whiff of a dead slave hanging from a tree a couple of miles back. You are not
only losing valuable stock by hanging, you are having uprisings, slaves are running away, your
crops are sometimes left in the field too long for maximum profit, and you suffer occasional fires.
Your animals are killed, Gentlemen you know what your problems are; I do not need to
elaborate, I am here to enumerate your problems, I am here to introduce you to a method of
solving them.

In my bag here, I have a foolproof method for controlling your ****** slaves. I guarantee
everyone of you that if installed correctly, it will control the slaves for at least 300 years. My
methods are simple and members of your family of overseer can use it.

I have outlined a number of differences among the slaves; and I take these differences and
make them bigger. I use fear, distrust, and envy for control purposes. These methods have
worked on my modest plantation in the West Indies and it will work throughout the South. Take
this simple little list of differences, think about them. On top of my list is "Age" but it is there only
because it starts with an "a". The second is color or shade. There is intelligence, size, sex, size
of plantation, status of plantation, attitude of owner, whether the slave lives in the valley, on a hill,
East, West, North or South, have fine or coarse hair, or is tall or short. Now that you have a list
of differences, I shall give you an outline of action but before that I shall assure you that distrust is
stronger than trust and envy is stronger than adulation, respect or admiration.

The ****** slave after receiving this indoctrination shall carry on and will become self refueling
and self generating for hundreds of years, maybe thousands.
Don't forget that you must pitch the
old ****** slave vs the young ****** slave, and the young ****** slave against the old ****** slave.
You must use the light skin slaves vs the dark skin slaves and the dark skin slaves vs the the light
skin slaves. You must also have your white servants and overseers distrust all ******* but it is
necessary that your slaves trust and depend on us. They must Love, Respect, and Trust only us
only.

Gentlemen, these kits are our keys to control, use them. Have your wives and children use
them, never miss an opportunity. My plan is guaranteed, and the good thing about this plan is
that if used intensely for one year, the slaves themselves will remain perpetually distrustful.

Thank you Gentlemen,

Willie Lynch

this speech is considered public domain and can be reprinted in its entirety in any publication or medium.

b. On Bible and the African Slave
religion was taught to enslaved Africans as a means of social control more than as a means to edify their souls. Especially in the colonies' early days, while the plantations were small and the slave population was not huge, owners used religion to teach obedience.
The Mariner's Museum - http://www.mariner.org

It was important for white men to teach the scriptures carefully in order to mould the slaves the way they wanted.

Religion in the Quarters: A study of Slave Preachers in the Antebellum South, 1800-1860

that sounds like they "gave" us christianity on purpose.

c. Three Types of Preachers During Slavery
Three major sources of religious teaching for enslaved Africans in the United States were white preachers, black preachers and exhorters, and African traditional priests (ATR) or slave conjurors.

ONE: White preachers delivered sermons that were usually openly pro-slavery and used the Bible to justify slavery and to teach the slaves to behave the way the owners wanted. Highlighting the Ten Commandments, white preachers especially liked to preach on the commandments not to kill or to steal and the commandment to obey mother and father, although sometimes "master" was added to the list of people to honor and obey. They would look particularly at Ephesians 6:5: "Slaves, be obedient to your human masters with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ."

TWO:
Black preachers had a very different task from that of whites. While white preachers only had to make the owners happy, black preachers had to balance the desires of the enslaved Africans with the desires of the owners.

THREE
ATR Priests/Conjurors practiced a uniquely African religious form, one that whites did not understand and feared greatly. Because of this, he helped to create an African identity for the slaves and remained a link to the older African heritage. According to W.E.B. DuBois, in The Souls of Black Folk, "The chief remaining institution was the Priest or Medicine-Man. He early appeared on the plantation and found his function as the healer of the sick, the interpreter of the Unknown, the comforter of the sorrowing, the supernatural avenger of wrong, and the one who rudely but picturesquely expressed the longing, disappointment, and resentment of a stolen and oppressed people."

sources: Marina.org / Souls of Black Folk / Peculiar Institution (Kenneth Stamp)

this clearly shows the legacy of a variety of ministries available to the early african and what each did - and the benefit and danger to the white man's empire based on that type of ministry.

PurpleMoons

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 22, 2003
NOT QUOTING FROM ANYONE BUT SPEAKING FROM MY OWN THOUGHT. I BELIEVE THAT WITHIN THE SPIRIT WE HAVE SOME SENSE BUT NOT COMPLETE SENSE OF WHAT IS RIGHT AND WRONG. I,VE SEEN A VERY INTERESTING DOCUMENTARY OF ONE OF OUR ANCESTOR RELIGIOUS PRACTICES. WHERE MINGI WAS SO FEARED THAT THEY WOULD KILL THEIR OWN IN ORDER TO ESCAPE THE WRATH OF MINGI. IF A CHILD WAS BORN OUT OF MARRIAGE THE ELDERS WOULD READ THE INTESTINES OF A ANIMAL AND DECIDE IF THAT CHILD SHOULD LIVE OR DIE.
IF A BABY TOP TEETH WERE FORMED BEFORE THE BOTTOM TEETH THEN THAT WAS MINGI AND THAT CHILD WAS KILLED. IF A MAN WANTED TO MARRY A WOMEN/CHILD HE HAD TO PAY THE FAMILY OF THAT WOMEN\CHILD. IF THAT MAN DID'NT HAVE ENOUGH COWS TO PAY FOR THE DAUGHTER OF THE FAMILY THEN HE COULD NOT MARRY. ACCORDING TO HOW MANY COWS HE HAD IT DETERMINED HOW MANY WIVES HE COULD HAVE. MY POINT IS THAT IF OUR ANCESTOR WERE SO RELIGIOUSLY CORRECT THEN WHY DID SLAVERY DESTROY SO MANY OF US?WOULD'NT THEIR HIGHER POWER HAVE PROTECTED THIER CHILDREN FROM THE CAPTIVITIES OF MEN? SOMEHOW I FEEL INSIDE MYSELF THAT THIS RELIGIOUS PRACTICE HAS CURSED OUR RACE. I DO BELIEVE THAT WE SHOULD NOT MARRY OUT OF OUR RACE BECAUSE OF RELIGION. IF TWO COUPLES HAVE DIFFERENT RELIGIONS ONES ANCESTORS MIGHT BE CURSED OR BLESSED. WHICH INTERFERS WITH GODS PLAN FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL. HOWEVER, I BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE SHOULD SEEK THE TRUTH ABOUT GOD OR WHATEVER NAME THEY ADDRESS THEIR HIGHER POWER IN ORDER TO KNOW ITS EXPECTATIONS AND WHAT ONE HAVE TO DO TO MAINTAIN ITS CONNECTIONS/OBEDIENCE SO THAT HE MAY LIVE FOREVER IN HARMONY WITH HIS HIGHER POWER. NO RELIGIOUS PRACTICE IS TOTALLY CORRECT BUT THE MESSAGE REMAINS THE SAME. BOWDOWN TO THE CREATER. PLACE NO MAN OR IDIOL BE FOR IT.
LOVE EACH OTHER. RESPECT AND OBEY ITS LAW BRING NO HARM UNTO ANOTHER. FOR IT (THE HIGHER POWER) WILL BE THE ONLY JUDGE OF MAN. THE CREATOR AND THE CREATOR ALONE WILL HAVE THE FINAL WORD OF A MANS FATE. MY QUESTIONS I POSE ONTO YOU ARE: HAVE YOU FOLLOWED THE LAWS OF YOUR HIGHER POWER COMPLETELY? IF YES, ARE YOU TOTALLY SURE WITHOUT QUESTIONING YOURSELF? THEN I SAY THIS TO YOU
WHAT DOES IT MATTER WHICH RELIGION IS CORRECT IF YOUR FAITH AND OBEDIENCE TO YOUR HIGHER POWER STANDS FIRMLY ROOTED TO IT? I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT TO MANY RELIGIONS BUT I KNOW THAT I AM NOT PERFECT BUT I'LL STRIVE TO BE OBEDIENT TO MY HIGHER POWER/ MY CREATOR. HE WILL ALONE JUDGE ME IN THE END AND NO MAN WILL DESTROY MY FAITH IN HIM OUR MY DESIRE TO BE CLOSER TO HIM. I CONTINUE TO PRAY FORGIVENESS, STRENGTH, KNOWLEDGE, WISDOM, AND COURAGE BECAUSE EVIL IS REAL AND I FALL SHORT OF MY CREATORS DEVINE SELF.

ifasehun

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 11, 2003
Originally posted by PurpleMoons NOT QUOTING FROM ANYONE BUT SPEAKING FROM MY OWN THOUGHT. I BELIEVE THAT WITHIN THE SPIRIT WE HAVE SOME SENSE BUT NOT COMPLETE SENSE OF WHAT IS RIGHT AND WRONG. I,VE SEEN A VERY INTERESTING DOCUMENTARY OF ONE OF OUR ANCESTOR RELIGIOUS PRACTICES. WHERE MINGI WAS SO FEARED THAT THEY WOULD KILL THEIR OWN IN ORDER TO ESCAPE THE WRATH OF MINGI. IF A CHILD WAS BORN OUT OF MARRIAGE THE ELDERS WOULD READ THE INTESTINES OF A ANIMAL AND DECIDE IF THAT CHILD SHOULD LIVE OR DIE.
IF A BABY TOP TEETH WERE FORMED BEFORE THE BOTTOM TEETH THEN THAT WAS MINGI AND THAT CHILD WAS KILLED. IF A MAN WANTED TO MARRY A WOMEN/CHILD HE HAD TO PAY THE FAMILY OF THAT WOMEN\CHILD. IF THAT MAN DID'NT HAVE ENOUGH COWS TO PAY FOR THE DAUGHTER OF THE FAMILY THEN HE COULD NOT MARRY. ACCORDING TO HOW MANY COWS HE HAD IT DETERMINED HOW MANY WIVES HE COULD HAVE.

first things first, its VERY had to read your comments in all caps.

now on to your comments:
but what you have written above should only make sense to those that practice it, not you. lol if they are spiritually insync with their own culture than they know the signs of good and evil. there are MANY people that walk amongst masquerading as humans are indeed DEMONS/EVIL SPIRITS and perhaps if we were insync we would know to have not let them live.

MY POINT IS THAT IF OUR ANCESTOR WERE SO RELIGIOUSLY CORRECT THEN WHY DID SLAVERY DESTROY SO MANY OF US?WOULD'NT THEIR HIGHER POWER HAVE PROTECTED THIER CHILDREN FROM THE CAPTIVITIES OF MEN?

Spirituality does not protect you from suffering. This is the first teaching of african, east indian and native american teachings. It prepares you maintain your COOL, develop your INTUITION, and become a spiritual PROBLEM SOLVER. If offer you TOOLS to brave Life.

Slavery is no indication of whether spirituality or our elders are valid. I makes me what to cry that you would say such things about your own family members and their beliefs.

SOMEHOW I FEEL INSIDE MYSELF THAT THIS RELIGIOUS PRACTICE HAS CURSED OUR RACE.

You feel that African religion has cursed African people? Sorry - that means that you dont know God at all. God doesnt curse people through the religions that he gives them. You do understand that ALL the paths are God-given right? I hope so..I hope your faith in yourself is restored as well.

Did you read that passage by Willie Lynch I posted above? This post describes why you feel so much pain for your own existence and history. Dont worry - "they" did that on purpose. But you can save yourself by believing in the inherent goodness of humans - and the right of Africans to express their relationship with God in their own unique ways.

I DO BELIEVE THAT WE SHOULD NOT MARRY OUT OF OUR RACE BECAUSE OF RELIGION. IF TWO COUPLES HAVE DIFFERENT RELIGIONS ONES ANCESTORS MIGHT BE CURSED OR BLESSED. WHICH INTERFERS WITH GODS PLAN FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL. HOWEVER, I BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE SHOULD SEEK THE TRUTH ABOUT GOD OR WHATEVER NAME THEY ADDRESS THEIR HIGHER POWER IN ORDER TO KNOW ITS EXPECTATIONS AND WHAT ONE HAVE TO DO TO MAINTAIN ITS CONNECTIONS/OBEDIENCE SO THAT HE MAY LIVE FOREVER IN HARMONY WITH HIS HIGHER POWER. NO RELIGIOUS PRACTICE IS TOTALLY CORRECT BUT THE MESSAGE REMAINS THE SAME. BOWDOWN TO THE CREATER. PLACE NO MAN OR IDIOL BE FOR IT.

Christians would like us to believe that Idoltry actually existed, but it never did. lol There are no people that are that silly. All references in history books are flat out lies or misinterpetations.

People use shrines (not idols) or natual elements to SYMBOLIZE or as VESSELS God, not as powers in and of themselves. Churches are large Shrines. They function in the same way as statues or bells or whatever else - they remind you of your relationship with God - they act as vessels and store spiritual energy for need.

Your instinct about Ancestors is correct! You should consider the mix in ancestral lineages before marrying. Many times your ancestors dont get along with those of another person and they collectively (on both sides) do things to make your relationship difficult. They do so because they are in direct contact with God and they know things that you do not know. They understand difficulties or other mismatches that you can not always perceive.

LOVE EACH OTHER. RESPECT AND OBEY ITS LAW BRING NO HARM UNTO ANOTHER. FOR IT (THE HIGHER POWER) WILL BE THE ONLY JUDGE OF MAN. THE CREATOR AND THE CREATOR ALONE WILL HAVE THE FINAL WORD OF A MANS FATE. MY QUESTIONS I POSE ONTO YOU ARE: HAVE YOU FOLLOWED THE LAWS OF YOUR HIGHER POWER COMPLETELY? IF YES, ARE YOU TOTALLY SURE WITHOUT QUESTIONING YOURSELF?

The key is not be without self doubt - but to not doubt the Spirit that leds you do something.

THEN I SAY THIS TO YOU
WHAT DOES IT MATTER WHICH RELIGION IS CORRECT IF YOUR FAITH AND OBEDIENCE TO YOUR HIGHER POWER STANDS FIRMLY ROOTED TO IT?

You have already inferred your own answer - Ancestorship, Lineage, legacy, Honor, Obediance

I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT TO MANY RELIGIONS BUT I KNOW THAT I AM NOT PERFECT BUT I'LL STRIVE TO BE OBEDIENT TO MY HIGHER POWER/ MY CREATOR. HE WILL ALONE JUDGE ME IN THE END AND NO MAN WILL DESTROY MY FAITH IN HIM OUR MY DESIRE TO BE CLOSER TO HIM. I CONTINUE TO PRAY FORGIVENESS, STRENGTH, KNOWLEDGE, WISDOM, AND COURAGE BECAUSE EVIL IS REAL AND I FALL SHORT OF MY CREATORS DEVINE SELF.

Then i guess you will alright to a certain extent. But as long as you carry resentment in your heart for the traditions of your ancestors - they (your ancestors) nor God will give you rest.

thats right - God will punish you for lacking faith in your own elders and ancestors. this is a part of the punishment that black people feel that is of THEIR OWN DOING RIGHT NOW. we are currently being punished for lack of faith and obedience to our ancestors and living elders.

believe it.

PurpleMoons

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 22, 2003
You raised some interesting points. ones I will consider and I dont resent my ancestors I just know that they too were'nt perfect. you are right, God don't curse his people. So, we are being punished because our lack of faith and obedience to our ancestors and not to him? Then when did this lack of faith begin, Was it before slavery or after? I know that we must struggle in order to grow, learn,and I must continue to pray for strength, knowledge,wisdom, and courage. Each journey that I take, each aquaintance that I face is indeed a learning process for me. I will continue to be open to the knowledge that is shared here but I will always question mans intentions be it black or white. For I myself is'nt perfect but I'll strive to be.

Thank you Ifasehun! your knowledge is welcomed here!

rmstkd

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 12, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by Sekhemu
I will answer you by your first question first. True enough "we" may sound like all, however I do think you get my gist. Most of us are still enamored by hair texture, perhaps to a lesser degree by eye color and complexion. However you sort of side stepped the fact that far too many of us are influenced by what was learned on the plantation in terms of beauty and self esteem, passed down from one generation to the next.

I side stepped because this has nothing to do with the topic at hand. However, I will oblige you by saying, there are a lot of things that are passed down from generation to generation out of ignorance. That's just one of the things and another is racism. When the seed of ignorance is embedded so deep, there's not much we can do to change their way of thinking. It's called the "divide and rule" I pray they are delivered from such ignorance. One person at a time.

You mention that during slavery, masters did their best to keep slaves ignorant. ignorant of what they wanted us to learn. How do you explain the fact that there was a tried and true practice of breaking a slave, including forbidding him/her from speaking their original language and practicing traditional african religions. Although this was not carried out as strictly in Cuba or Brazil. I'm sure you're aware that slaves did attend church... the overseer and/or slave master was the one who preached the sermon on Sundays. This is a form of indoctrination at best, and brain washing at worst. So we are not talking about education, we are talking about traditional african Gods being subverted, or forced by a thorough and comprehensive campaign to make black people weak and docile. Religion was the main tool to emplament this plan. I would say they've done a very good job too, unfortunately

Yep, I am well aware of the breaking of a slave. Yes the slave owners forbade the slaves to speak their native tongue and for them to not practice their traditional religions. One of the main reasons why masters did not want their slaves to become Christians was because of the Bible. They didn't want slaves to interpret the teachings of Christ as being in favour of equality. This was one of the main reasons why most slave owners didn't want their slaves learning to read. Also, slave owners didn't want an uprising.

From my studies of slavery and things told to the family by my late Grandmother (born in 1900 - died 1988) about her mother and her Grandmother, not saying it didn't happen, for those slave owners (which were few) who didn't have a major problem with slaves having church, I never noticed where the overseer or the masters preached church sermons to the slaves. The masters got missionaries and there were times that black ministers came in to preach the service but the master and/or the overseer was also in attendance to ensure things didn't get out of hand.

I would love to continue this coversation today, but I'm off on vacation for a few days. I will be respond to your posting when I return.

Peace.

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Ms Drea's profile.
Hi My Dear Darling Sister! :kiss: :love: :kiss:
Destee wrote on beautifulblkw's profile.
Hi Sister!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: So good to see you! Thanks for coming home! YAAAAAY! :yaay: Much Love and Peace! :love:
Massey Ferguson Tractors and farm implements for Sale in Africa especially in Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Ghana, Nigeria and many more. Our tractor company in Africa having huge stock of brand new tractors and farm implements for tractor dealers.
sekou kasimu wrote on ZIbijah's profile.
Have you read "The Iceman Inheritance: Prehistoric Origins of Western Man's Racism, Sexism, and Aggression"?
$1 Billion Black dollars in 30 days