Black People : giving a subject can be hard..how about we

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by deepy, Dec 14, 2003.

1. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    Last week I posted a thread regarding scholarships for students (they called them for minorities...but who cares)..I have not seen many people view the list. What can be done by forum leaders/moderators to suggest to the rest of us certain things that we should look at...and the idea of going to school with the potential of receiving support seems to me an important subject.
    I understand that destee is about love and non negativity..Is it also about the coming together of a people. Is it also about sharing ideas and suggetions and information.. We have so many threads...the poets want to share their creativity, the activist want to share their determination. the talkers want to hold discussions. Some of us would like to know or be included, some of us need suggestions of where to look or maybe a forum leader to pass some information to us that will help us in our learning and growth...
    I understand that certain topics bring more of us together and others very little...but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be aware of something...as adult or young as we are..as academic or not as we are, as gifted writers or not as we are...we all are and the concept of we,for me, is not always clear.. I would love the leaders from the varied sections to drop by sometime to other sections..and not to necessary read , but to let us know about something and or someone giving information...maybe we would check it out...I hope so...

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Thank you

deepy, thank you for this information and passionate appeal to get our members attention. I agree that this is a very important topic and good information. As a community, we can help each other to find different and successful ways to pay for an education. One way that I can think of that could draw more interest is if anyone wanted to host a discussion of this topic in voice chat. The classes that we offer cover a variety of topics and have been very successful, and, we're always open to suggestions of new ideas and interesting topics for our community.

On the subject of scholarships and financial aid to attend college or a trade school, any college student or parent of college-aged or soon-to-be college age children should be interested in different ways to pay for a college education. State governments are continually allocating less money to support education in favor or other social programs. If our people didn't know already, they need to know that as a result, the cost of education is getting increasingly higher year by year. For the economically oppressed or challenged family, the idea can be a daunting one, particularly if their children are first generation college students. We all should be able to figure out what this translates into relative to current and future opportunities for our people.

For those students currently in college, the persistence rates (freshman to graduation) of African American students nation-wide is small compared to other racial/ethnic populations. Overall, the average rate for graduation for African Americans is now 6 years. If our students are depending predominately on federal loans to support their education...do the math if the average annual cost is $20K/year. Very often, there is a trade off among these students between higher grade point averages and having to work to support themselves through college. The more they work, the lower their gpa's tend to be. As it stands, African American students are averaging 2 jobs while also attending school full-time. When jobs are scarce, many African American students are forced to drop out, find work full-time, in order to save enough money and hope to return to school. Many seldom do.

No, we don't always need a college education to be 'successful' but the American workforce will absorb even fewer of us if we don't have one--especially the jobs that pay a wage high enough to keep us above poverty level. That's my opinion anyway.

Good thread topic...needs more attention from us....anyone who has a tried and proven 'how (and how not) to finance a college education" story, please share.

3. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    thanks nnqueen
    you are definitely one of the moderators who has the potential to bring a slew of us into the thread...we may not always take part in the discussion but we do check you out. thus your responding, hopefully, will let others think and hopefully look at the scholarship thread.
    I wish i had the consistent time to do the work (ie research) needed to host such a chat program...for in the end it will always be those who come after us that will continue the fight (dedication is really a much better word) for collective unity..