Black Sports : Give it up for Venus Williams!

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by diakonos, Jul 5, 2005.

1. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Did anybody see her put the Smack down on Davenport this weekend? That was the best tennis match I have ever seen.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    i assume it was the only tennis match you've ever seen.
    she squeaked out a tiebreaker against an injured opponent.
    that doesn't impress me.

3. Remby

Remby Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +37
    I don't care HOW she won, the fact that she beat Davenport is good enough for me. But I do get your point James and I have seen Venus play at the top of her game.

Remby :tennis:

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Hey Remby...I didn't know you ventured to this side of the woods!

5. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    It was a great thriller though. I kept wondering whether Venus would control her emotions and stop making mistakes long enough to beat Davenport. Playing an opponent with an injury is a part of the game. And, Venus did what she was expected to do...finish her off. Once Davenport was hurt, she started making errors as well and Venus had to focus and restrain herself so that she could stop making errors. And she did. She made the adjustment she had to make in order to win the game like all great players and teams do. I applaud her for that. It was a gut check for Venus and she was up to the task. I believe this type of match gave her hope and confidence that she can one day be number one in the world of female tennis.

Venus is a great player...ranked 14th in the tournament and 16th overall. She beat the #2 ranked female in the world (Maria Sharapova) and the #1 ranked person in the world although injured (Lindsey Davenport) in order to win the Wimbledon title. She did what she was supposed to do. I give her madd love and props for that. She's mentally tough and healthy. She's back on top again now ranked 8th in the world.

They're BAD, they're mentally tough...and when they're healthy, they're unbeatable. They're the Williams' sisters...the greatest female tennis players in history.

6. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Man Venus is so fine, I aint even gon say that.

Congrats that she won.

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    naw, if they were mentally tough they would not be going through the mess that they are in.
    Serena ain't got no sense at all.
    overweight, hurt and out of shape and coming to a tournament?
    naw.

8. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    They aren't the Mayweathers of the tennis world although they could be. But, when they play, they are mentally tough. I've seen some of the other female tennis players break down on court. Hell, I've seen Lindsay Davenport break down playing against Serena a couple of years ago. And, to me, that's when Lindsay actually thought about retiring from tennis.

The perception of the Williams sisters' dominance in tennis is as real as Mayweather's dominance in boxing (especially after he beats Ricky Hatton and Cotto), Tiger's dominance in golf, Tyson's dominance in the heavyweight division in his heyday and Michael Jordan's dominance in basketball. If the Williams sisters show up to a tournament in shape, they are EXPECTED to win; regarldless of where they are ranked. And Venus has made that thought, that perception more real by winning the Wimbledon title ranked 14th in the tournament at age 25. Sharapova held that record last year by being ranked 13th in the tournament and beating Serena Williams for the Wimbledon title. Sharapova is 18 or 19 years old; Venus is 25 years old. That's mentally tough.

I'm not saying that they don't make mistakes. Sure they do. But, they are still at the top of their game when they prepare and are healthy. And the other female tennis players know that. That's why they celebrate so heavily when they beat one of the Williams sisters. Hell, I would to when I feel like I don't have a chance in the world of beating an opponent who I believe is so much better than I am.

Ask the golfers who win a tournament when Tiger is playing. Ask Buster Douglas when he knocked out Tyson in Tyson's heyday. Or ask the basketball players who beat MJ when he played with the Bulls.

The Williams sisters' mystique is well deserved. I've seen some knock-down, drag-out, bloody (well, as much as can be expected in a tennis match :D) tennis matches between the Williams' sisters and other opponents. They will make you step up or give up...and it's mostly mental. Ask Sharapova when Venus spanked that booty. Sharapova tried all she could. BUT, at the end of the day, tears of defeat rolled down her face.

I love the Williams' sisters. They're BAD. :D

9. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I wish Venus Williams would holla at her boy. I miss her...

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    that's my issue, right there.