Black Women : Girls to Women

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by FiveAlive, Jan 24, 2005.

1. FiveAlive

FiveAlive Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello All:
    I'm brand new on here, so I apologize if this topic has already been discussed in depth, but a conversation I had with a friend today gave me a question and I'd really like to know yall's take on it.

1. What, to you, makes on a girl, woman or lady? Or, what is the difference between a girl and a woman?

2. At what age do you think most females cross the line from girlhood into womanhood? Or is it an experience/ set of experiences that inspire the change?

I appreciate your indulgence.

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Thats a good question.

I know in some places in Africa and the rain forest a girl is considered a women when she starts her menustration cycle.

For me, I thing a girl is a women when she becomes independant and can make sound moral decisions. I didn't consider myself a women until I was 32. I was independant but my dicisions wasn't to great.

I would love to here what some of the other sisters have to say about this.

3. fanyamambo

fanyamambo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I always thought a woman was an adult female no?

4. atomicangel

atomicangel Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    welcome to the group!

thats a good question

i agree with what PurpleMoons said.
    but i think a woman is a term used for every grown female, whilst a lady is used when a woman is special, respected or maybe just smart and sophisticated. i mean, women can be liars, users, gold diggers, whores or whatever but a lady is someone who you would probably respect. i dont know, im just quoting what someone else once told me .

5. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16

5Alive

Excellent topic.

Any female that makes it to/through puberty will become a woman no matter how she acts or carries herself.

So rather than turning a girl into a woman...perhaps we should focus on turning our girls into "ladies".

A lady isn't born but DEVELOPED and in order to be developed she needs to not only receive the proper education and etiquette, but also be in the proper environment.

She has to be around other women who are acting like ladies or else she'll succumb to the same negative behavior of her environment.

Too many of our women aren't learning how to be the "ladies" God made them to be and are instead just growing up to become women of all manner.

And too many black men are erroneously supporting this because they don't know how to be gentlemen themselves.

After puberty kicks in, I don't think it's so much about age because a woman can be a lady at 15 if she knows how to carry herself as far as behavior and speech. Then again I know women in their 30s who are an embarrasment to their gender with their cussing, crudeness, and violent behavior.

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I have to agree with those who differentiate between a woman and a lady.

I am reluctant to include independence as a mark of ladihood since this would somewhat bar me forever from the category simply because of my disability.

However, I think ladihood has more to do with the emotional and mental strengths of a woman rather than her circumstances and life position at any given point in time.

A lady can cry but she doesn't blame others for her tears.

A lady can be angry but she acknowledges the role she played in creating the situation that triggered her anger

A lady doesn't cuss but she doesn't act squeamish when others cuss in her presence.

A lady is not so concerned with being seen as a lady that one five letter name can destroy her.

A lady thinks hard before she opens her mouth

A lady's days may not be an unbroken series of successful gestures but she is not an innocent bystander in her own life.

Oh yes...and a lady will not pick up that phone to call a man who is two hours late for a date. That's not the Rules--that's self respect which she maintains at all times.

This has been a public service message brought to you by da RIVER.

7. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,325

Personally, I think it's experiences that inspire the change from being a girl to being a woman. Not that I've ever gone through any, myself. :rolleyes:

8. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

You said what I wanted to say...Thanks