Science and Technology : Girls to Men:The astonishing Dominican village where little girls turn into boys

Black Phoenix

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 30, 2015
The astonishing village where little girls turn into boys aged 12
In a remote village in the Dominican Republic girls become boys at puberty because of a rare genetic disorder

boygirls_3444859b.jpg

Catherine and his cousin Carla photo credit BBC/Jon Sayers

By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor

12:01AM BST 20 Sep 2015

comments.gif
82 Comments

In every way, Johnny is physically and biologically male. But, astonishingly he did not grow a penis until he hit puberty.

He is one of many children who live in Salinas, an isolated village in the southwestern Dominican Republic, who are seemingly born female, only to become men in their teenage years.

Although Johnny’s story may seem extraordinary, cases of little girls turning into boys are so prevalent in the village that it is no longer considered abnormal. The children are simply referred to as the ‘guevedoces’ – which literally translates as ‘penis at 12’

Johnny, 24, was originally named Felecitia by his parents and brought up as a girl. He spoke to Dr Michael Mosley for the new BBC2 series “Countdown to Life – the extraordinary making of you"

“I remember I used to wear a little red dress,” he said. “I was born at home instead of in a hospital. They didn’t know what sex I was.

“I went to school and I used to wear my skirt. I never liked to dress as a girl. When they bought me girls toys I never bothered playing with them. All I wanted to do was play with the boys.”

johnny_3444862b.jpg
Johnny, who was seemingly born as a girl but turned into a boy aged seven

The rare genetic disorder occurs because of a missing enzyme which prevents the production of a specific form of the male sex hormone - dihydro-testosterone - in the womb.

Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...here-little-girls-turn-into-boys-aged-12.html

The astonishing village where little girls turn into boys aged 12
In a remote village in the Dominican Republic girls become boys at puberty because of a rare genetic disorder

boygirls_3444859b.jpg

Catherine and his cousin Carla photo credit BBC/Jon Sayers

By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor

12:01AM BST 20 Sep 2015

comments.gif
82 Comments

In every way, Johnny is physically and biologically male. But, astonishingly he did not grow a penis until he hit puberty.

He is one of many children who live in Salinas, an isolated village in the southwestern Dominican Republic, who are seemingly born female, only to become men in their teenage years.

Although Johnny’s story may seem extraordinary, cases of little girls turning into boys are so prevalent in the village that it is no longer considered abnormal. The children are simply referred to as the ‘guevedoces’ – which literally translates as ‘penis at 12’

Johnny, 24, was originally named Felecitia by his parents and brought up as a girl. He spoke to Dr Michael Mosley for the new BBC2 series “Countdown to Life – the extraordinary making of you"

“I remember I used to wear a little red dress,” he said. “I was born at home instead of in a hospital. They didn’t know what sex I was.

“I went to school and I used to wear my skirt. I never liked to dress as a girl. When they bought me girls toys I never bothered playing with them. All I wanted to do was play with the boys.”

johnny_3444862b.jpg
Johnny, who was seemingly born as a girl but turned into a boy aged seven

The rare genetic disorder occurs because of a missing enzyme which prevents the production of a specific form of the male sex hormone - dihydro-testosterone - in the womb.

Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...here-little-girls-turn-into-boys-aged-12.html

Wow! Thanks for posting. I've never heard of anything like this before. It's just that particular village and they discovered it had to do with an enzyme not being produced in the womb! I'm wondering would this be because of genetics, diet, or both, and/or other common factors in that community.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back