Science and Technology : Girlfriend 6.0 vs. Wife 1.0

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by GrandHustle, Sep 25, 2007.

1. GrandHustle

GrandHustle Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Girlfriend 6.0 vs. Wife 1.0
    Comparative Trial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year a friend of mine upgraded from GirlFriend 6.0 to Wife 1.0 and found that it's a memory hog leaving very little system resources available for other applications. He is now noticing that Wife 1.0 is also spawning Child Processes which are further consuming valuable resources. No mention of this particular phenomena was included in the product brochure or the documentation, though other users have informed him that this is to be expected due to the nature of the application.

Not only that, Wife 1.0 installs itself such that it is always launched at system initialization, where it can monitor all other system activity. He's finding that some applications such as PokerNight 10.3, BeerBash 2.5, and HappyHour 7.0 are no longer able to run in the system at all, crashing the system when selected (even though they always worked fine before). During installation, Wife 1.0 provides no option as to the installation of undesired Plug-Ins such as MotherInLaw 55.8 and BrotherInLaw Beta release. Also, system performance seems to diminish with each passing day.

Some features he'd like to see in the upcoming wife 2.0.

"Don't remind me again" button
    a Minimize button
    An install shield feature that allows Wife 2.0 be installed with the option to uninstall at any time without the loss of cache and other system resources
    An option to run the network driver in promiscuous mode which would allow the system's hardware probe feature to be much more useful.

I myself decided to avoid the headaches associated with Wife 1.0 by sticking with Girlfriend 7.0. Even here, however, I found many problems. Apparently you cannot install Girlfriend 7.0 on top of Girlfriend 6.0. You must uninstall Girlfriend 6.0 first. Other users say this is a long standing bug that I should have known about. Apparently the versions of Girlfriend have conficts over shared use of the I/O port. You think they would have fixed such a stupid bug by now. To make matters worse, The uninstall program for Girlfriend 6.0 doesn't work very well leaving undesirable traces of the application in the system. Another thing -- all versions of Girlfriend continually popup little annoying messages about the advantages of upgrading to Wife 1.0.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bug Warning

Wife 1.0 has an undocumented bug. If you try to install Mistress 1.1 before uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before doing the uninstall itself. Then Mistress 1.1 will refuse to install, claiming insufficient resources.

Bug work-arounds: To avoid this bug, try installing Mistress 1.1 on a different system and never run any file transfer applications such as Laplink 6.0. Also, beware of similar shareware applications that have been known to carry viruses that may affect Wife 1.0. Another solution would be to run Mistress 1.1 via a UseNet provider under an anonymous name. Here again, beware of the viruses which can accidently be downloaded from the UseNet.

Tech Support Suggestions
    These are very common problem men complain about, but is mostly due to a primary misconception. Many people upgrade from Girlfriend 6.0 to Wife 1.0 with the idea that Wife 1.0 is merely a Utilities & Entertainment program. Wife 1.0 is indeed an operating system and designed by its creator to run everything.

It is unlikely you would be able to purge Wife 1.0 and still convert back to Girlfriend 6.0. Hidden operating files within your system would cause Girlfriend 6.0 to emulate Wife 1.0 so nothing is gained. It is impossible to uninstall, delete, or purge the program files from the system once installed. You cannot go back to Girlfriend 6.0 because Wife 1.0 is not designed to do this.

Some have tried to install Girlfriend 7.0 or Wife 2.0 but end up with more problems than the original system. Look in your manual under "Warnings - Alimony/Child support". I recommend you keep Wife 1.0 and deal with the situation.

I suggest installing background application program C:\YES DEAR to alleviate software augmentation. I also suggest you read the entire section regarding General Partnership Faults (GPFs). You must assume all responsibility for faults and problems that might occur, regardless of their cause. The best course of action will be to enter the command C:\APOLOGIZE. In any case avoid excessive use of C:\YES DEAR because ultimately you may have to give the APOLOGIZE command before the operating system will return to normal. The system will run smoothly as long as you take the blame for all the GPFs.

Wife 1.0 is a great program, but very high-maintenance. Consider buying additional software to improve the performance of Wife 1.0. I recommend Flowers 3.1 and Diamonds 2K. Do not, under any circumstances, install Secretary with Short Skirt 3.3. This is not a supported application for Wife 1.0 and is likely to cause irreversible damage to the operating system.

Best of Luck,
    Tech Support

//////////////////

Received via email

2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

So do you suggest any upgrades at all? Like is it possible at all to obtain new software that is compatible with your hard drive?...and in the event you do, is it available with an installed anti-virus program? If your present operating system is prone to frequent crashes, do you advise defragmenting the system and installing firefox to keep other programs from trying to run on my current system? I've been considering a few peripherals just to see if they will run on my current system as an exploratory option.

3. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Working in IT, we get complaints about both of these applications all the time. Wife 1.0 is actually an OS, (Operating System) unlike Girlfriend 6.0 which is just gaming software. For those who are into Gaming Software, Wife 1.0 is not a good choice.

Wife 1.0 is WYSINWYG programming. (What You See Is Not What You Get). For those who are not into Gaming Software, and would like to take advantage of the full potential of their system’s processor speed and memory Wife 1.0 would be a logical choice.

However -Please note the system requirements for Wife 1.0 is much higher. This is the technical issue most users run into. If you lack memory and processor speed, your best bet is sticking with Girlfriend 6.0. Upgrade your video card and you’re good to go.

Most of the bugs and errors found in Wife 1.0 have been fixed in SP7. (Service Pack 7) which can be downloaded OEM from the original manufacturer. SP7 allows the OS to create and connect to it’s own network, which helps to free up resources on the original system. Wife 1.0 SP7 can be used also as server software and can also partition and clone as many logical drives as needed.

Wife SP7 tries at least to make up gaps between it and the original OEM software called Queen 7.0, which was mysterious taken off the market when more European manufacturers took over the industry. All software can be rated by the amount of memory and resources they take up on the system. This is how European manufacturers control the market. Queen 7.0 however, was known specifically for it’s unique programming.

It was also an OS, but instead of using up all the physical and virtual memory, it stored information as encrypted and compressed files that never took up space or memory until a request was made. Queen 7.0 created memory, and also deleted unnecessarily files on it’s own. You will notice storage and how files are stored are a major issue with Wife 1.0.

For those of us who are running slow systems anyway, any type of upgrade with do more harm than good. You’re better off sticking with DOS.
    (Don’t Operate S____)

4. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    now that's funny!

As a womban with a past time for IT, I gotta say that is by far the funniest thing I read in a very long time! Thanks for sharing! :qqb006:

5. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759
    new hardware

The very first thing one must do installation of the new software is to take a users course. Conversion to wife 1.0 without the course can lead to systems errors that will crash the hardrive. One must also recognize that wife 1.0
    Constantly changes regarding its system requirments this is dooms day for one whom had a hard drive that was barely compatable at the time of installation. Must users quickly try to switch back to girlfriend 6.0 and find that there hard drive is not compatable with that software anymore. The risky move is to modify the system thus making it compatable to both. However this move usually uses all the memory on the hardrive causing the system to run slow or become full of viruses.

6. 360

360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    I have to say that the problem seems to be these applications aren't reaching the right users.

Contrary to popular belief Girlfriend v0.07a through v6.0a are releases for young, inexperienced users who wish to familiarize themselves with OSes and their internals. And there are also a lot of pirate, hacked, and demo copies of Girlfriend floating around that shouldn't be confused with official releases. If you find that Girlfriend is constantly being breached, is buggy, full of viruses, and isn't responsive then you do not have an official release.

Wife 1.0 is an OS for mature, experienced casual users who would like a more developed system, but prefer not to work too much with system internals. There are also lots of unofficial copies floating around, but if you're willing to do a little work, unlike with Girlfriend, you may be able to salvage a bootleg Wife copy. There are lots of patches and tools for Wife available. It will never perform like an official copy though.

Neither OS though is appropriate for those mature users who require a robust, well developed, customizable OS. I would suggest seeking an operating system with a classic design that draws on tested, proven methods. ThkAzWf Enterprise and DeltSigThet Professional, which are rolling releases, are excellent choices for these users and they're also freeware with very small resource footprints. Another bonus is it's easy to multiboot and run virtual machines. There's absolutely no conflict and they can flawlessly share resources without any crashes or slowdowns. I've heard that many users experience a boost in performance while running DeltSigThet on top of ThkAzWf. I've only received one complaint from a customer regarding these systems. It was about the systems' refusal to allow him to access certain parts of the OS with his hardware configuration.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    :fyi:...it has been my experience that if your hard drive is big enough all applications will run in harmony.... :SuN020: