Black People : Ghetto, the new "N" word

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, Nov 24, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.blackcommentator.com/132/132_guest_ghetto.html

2. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well I think being in the Ghetto-The Hood-Whatever
    People often symbolize that with being unruly-ignorant
    Its a stereotype-I know people that live in the suburbs that are as bad as people in the city, and I know people in the city Hood or whatever who talk so proper you would think another stereotype that she was white. Its all in peoples minds what they potray situations to be. Cause Pan you neihborhoods like Robbins and Harvey some consider that a Ghetto and thats in the suburbs-Yet consider the Beverly area in the city like its own little suburbs. Its all about Perception!!

3. UPTOWNE

UPTOWNE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Electric Powerlineman
    Ratings:
    +11
    GHETTO use to define ones ingenuity, how our people came up with solutions to problems that required money that we did not have, and things that we all did. There are far more of us that grew up poor than there is among us that grew up with silver spoons. I take the position that by using the term you are making light of those less fortunate than you. There are those amongst our people who still use these same solutions as a way of life that have yet to make it out of the poor niehborhoods. But even worse we go a step farther to include crude behavior! These are the same things that white people refer to as being N* I* G* G*E*R ISH! Now if someone were to call you a N*I*G*G*E*R you'd shrug it off (saying that the word does not have the bite it once did, and buy into the BS that it no longer refers to just black people.) but don't let them dare say you are GHETTO! you'll go bullistic! GHETTO is the code for N*I*G*G*E*R and I just wish that we all stop degrading ourselves by using it!

I am sick and tired, of being sick and tired!
    this is UPTOWNE baby!

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    That's the original meaning of the word...

I submit that it has taken on new meanings - much like the N-Word... It may even have grown out of our desire to describe certain base, atavistic behaviours on the part of our more ignant brovuhs and sistiz, knowMsayne, bee?(smile!)

Oh, and it was not the White Man who started referring to THAT behavior as "Ghetto..."(smile!) I think that usage is a Black Thang all the way...

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    Actually

Ghetto was a term used generally to describe the 1st neighborhood(s) that new immigrants settled in until they could get an economic holding.

I dont think we get to cavalierly get to change the definitions. They arent owned by us, nor should they be